BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Thank you to all for welcoming me!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by huffycat, Sep 12, 2018.

1. huffycat

huffycat new member

United States United States
    I really appreciate the warm welcome from everyone! It means a lot. I was looking at the hip recovery kits on Amazon. Are they worth it? I am trying to save money because of being off work but some of these items seem very helpful. Also is a raised toilet seat really necessary or would a support type frame be enough?

2. InkedMarie

InkedMarie senior

Hello! Do you have a typical low toilet or higher one? Are you able to boost up off the toilet with tub or sink? If not, an over the toilet potty chair may be handy. I needed it for my first (low toilet) but not my most recent.

I needed a walker, crutch and cane. My insurance covered these. A grabber is handy for dropped items. I never used the sock thing, my hips were in warm weather so not needed.

What else are you looking at?

3. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
  4. Eman85

Eman85 graduate

Welcome. As far as the hip kits I was advised in my pre-op class as to what I would need. The PT giving part of the class offered the one shot buy it all deal but told us you're better off shopping around. My local thrift store had almost everything I needed for pennies on the dollar. I borrowed a walker, had quite a few offers from friends that had them around from previous surgeries. I tried a raised ring on the toilet, it did have the arms too, but it was horrible. I found a bedside commode for sale locally which is just a frame with a toilet seat that is adjustable. It had a removable bucket so it would sit over the toilet, it was what they had at the hospital. I didn't spend much at all when it came to the kit. I did end up buying a recliner for comfort but one of the best chairs I used was a cheap white plastic patio chair. They are strong and have arms so it's easy to get in and out of it. I placed a cushion on it and used it at the dining room table.

5. Bionic

Bionic senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi @huffycat
    I bought several items because I knew I would be having another op at some stage so thought it would be a good investment. I loved the toilet riser, in fact it was so good I bought a second one for the downstairs toilet.
    Physio provided me with a long handled shoe horn but they are very cheap anyway. I bought 2 grabbers, mainly because they came as a pack of 2 but that worked out well, one upstairs and one down. I have used them loads.
    I never bought the thing to help put socks on as my husband does that when necessary.
    The walker, crutches and cane were probably provided by the hospital here in the UK but I see that others have said that your insurance might pay for these.
    Good luck with your op

6. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:wave:Welcome to Bonesmart.
    Glad you are getting that bad hip pain gone...you will be so glad to get your life back act this temporary recovery mess.
    Grabbers and toilet riser...I'd say we're imperative for me.
    Ice packs also...though I used homemade!

7. Toddlermom

Toddlermom graduate

Last time, I bought a $1.00 muslin tool ‘tool apron’ from Lowe’s and attached it to my walker. I could drop in my phone, remote, ice pack, or whatever and carry it into the next room with ease.

• Creative Creative x 1
  8. InkedMarie

InkedMarie senior

• Agree Agree x 1