BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] Thank you, everyone

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by MSgirl, Jan 15, 2018.

1. MSgirl

MSgirl senior

United States United States
    Kneeteorology - the ability of a knee to predict the weather, esp. following TKR. That's what I have named it. Mine was really reporting yesterday. The barometric pressure was bouncing up and down, although I knew it without checking. My only way to deal with it was to ice, elevate and sleep. Today, the pressure is back up to 30-something and seems to be holding steady. Good thing since I am going out to PT and have errands to run. I've checked on this before but here's a quote from the Arthritis Foundation (arthritis.org.): "Changes in barometric pressure can cause expansion and contraction of tendons, muscles, bones and scar tissues, resulting in pain in the tissues that are affected by arthritis. Low temperatures may also increase the thickness of joint fluids, making them stiffer and perhaps more sensitive to pain during movement." Based on the healing going on inside my knee, that pretty well describes my pain yesterday, even if the arthritis has been removed. Interestingly, knee #1 was okay which confirms the above statement. It is healed up and acts like a healthy knee. So - I hope all of you are having great stable weather, though I worry about the folks up north and their snow storm coming. Is it affecting your new knees? Here's wishing that all of us can stop being kneeteorologists soon!

• Like Like x 2
  2. amymj

amymj member

Hi MSgirl! Love the Kneetereology phrase!!! That is so funny! And thank you for the link to that article! I will definitely check that out, always good for reassurance that this generalized pain is founded! How have you been doing otherwise? It has been cold, very damp where I am, I am feeling it in my joints elsewhere and the soft tissues of this new knee. You and I are seven weeks+ out I believe. Most days I am good! Still can tell when I do too much, but rest when I can. Trying though to recondition myself, I return to work part time next week. I am sleeping well, pain is well managed with Tylenol and then I also started taking turmeric, my Dr. actually recommended, as I just want to avoid nsaids more in the future. So far so good! My phys. therapy is done for my knee but I am going to keep seeing. I have developed some bad gait habits during these last 16 mo. (knee menisectomy and two joint replacement on this left side). So moving forward! Are you feeling well and how are the rest of the January patients! Be well everyone!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I've had kneeterologists for over 30 years! But, the good thing is finally my new knee doesn't react to the weather change anymore, just extreme cold. Unfortunately, my other joints can still predict changes really well. I'm sure your knees will soon forget how to predict the weather!

4. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

My knees became weather predictors after TKR, but are now starting to be less insistent about weather changes. For the last two storms —both massive Nor’Easters with barometric might— they have barely complained. Just a tiny bit of stiffness this morning as the snow moved in. Which we do not need right now... neither stiffness nor snow.

5. MSgirl

MSgirl senior

Well, folks. Today is the two-month anniversary of getting knee #2 and I guess it's time for me to fade away. I want to thank the moderators and all of you for your support and suggestions for easing my recovery. I have made friends here and learned so much from you. I just don't feel right commenting about my progress anymore when so many are struggling. Through your difficulties, you are showing so much strength and I'm not sure I could do it with as much grace as you.

I continue with my PT three times/week because I feel that I am getting something out of it. My therapist is one of the good ones. No pushing on my knee, and I have to ask to be measured. Wednesday my ROM was 137/0. I've told her that although my knee is fine and not giving me any trouble, I want to concentrate on quad strengthening. Unlike a lot of you, going down steps is not pretty although going up isn't a problem. She has come up with ways to help me accomplish that task. I don't swell after a session nor take Tylenol before or after. A week and a half ago, I put my Fitbit back on and started to walk for exercise. I'm doing between one and a half and three miles/day, whatever feels comfortable. It is so good to move again because I haven't been able to do it since October when #2 blew up, and I believe that it is really helping. So far, the best I've been able to do is around 6000 steps but know that will improve with time. Unless I'm really tired, my gait is normal so I don't get a lot of sympathy anymore! The knee is in charge and I'm listening.

Perhaps I was in la la land but I never expected to have any problems. My surgeon has done over 7000 knees. He has the process down and his patients have good results. I recently found out that patients are coming for other places to avail themselves of his services. I'm thankful to live in a place that has such a talented OS. Everyone thinks Mississippi is backwards but in this respect it's not and I feel very lucky. The weather has turned beautiful which has certainly helped my mood. It's hard to feel down when the azaleas are blooming (even if my palm trees and Sagos are brown from that late freeze).

#2 isn't done. I have a little swelling after doing housework (a good reason to let things go!). Sleeping isn't great and I wake up sore but that usually abates after walking a little. Legs up on my Lounge Doctor are the norm every time I sit down (a lot) and I thank you for telling me about it (and also the Chattanooga Colpacs). I'll probably use it for a long time. Best money I have ever spent. I still don't think my glued incision will be as pretty as the stapled one for #1 when it's done but I don't wear shorts a lot anyway and do consider my scars badges of honor if they show. I have the usual aches and pains but don't worry about them. Just part of the healing process. I realize that problems could appear down the road and will just have to deal with them if they do.

So - thank you again. I'll probably be lurking to check on your progress. If there is anything I can do to help you, please contact me. Good luck to all of you as you move on down the road. The end is in sight for all of us and the healing that time brings presents us with a life that we could not even imagine. Meanwhile, I'll try to pay it forward by helping local folks facing our surgery. And of course, let them know about Bonesmart.

God Bless!
    Ann

• Like Like x 2
  6. MSgirl

MSgirl senior

@Celle, if it's not too much trouble, would you mind changing my thread title to Thank you, everyone? I appreciate it. Thank you so much for the help you have given me throughout this process.

7. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

My best friend lives in Mississippi and it’s a lovely state with wonderful people, at least the ones I’ve met. Finding a good OS is a challenge everywhere (because there are good and less good surgeons everywhere and it’s difficult to know which is which) and I’m so happy you found one of the best! Your recovery has been inspiring to read about. The good stories matter because people come here to find out what TKR is all about. Well, good results are actually more common than the problem knees, so we need to be represented!

Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us. :friends:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. mlwreader

mlwreader senior

@MSgirl Gosh I'll miss your sweet presence. So glad you are doing well. I started as a lurker on bonesmart and then couldn't resist commenting. I do hope you check in from time to time. Big hugs.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  9. Mutti3

Mutti3 member

@MSgirl I do believe your recovery is a beacon of light !

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Needhope

Needhope member

This was such an inspiring thread. All the positivity and non-expectations concerning recovery. Thank you for reminding me that everyone’s knees are truly unique and outcomes will differ. But most importantly, stay calm, move on, and do the best you can with what you were dealt. Bless.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I've changed your thread title for you, @MSgirl .

I do wish you'd stay longer. It's good for people to be able to read positive things about a normal recovery. It gives hope to those who are struggling.

In spite of what we see here on BoneSmart, more people have normal recoveries than those who experience problems. We try to help those who have problems, but many more never come here, because they don't need our help.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. jboles

jboles graduate

@MSgirl congratulations to you and your 2 wonderful knees. I’ve enjoyed reading your posts. You always have such a positive outlook and it helped me, and others I’m sure, to look at the bright side. Sometimes that’s not easy, but when I would read your post it always gave me hope. I’m impressed with your walking, already at 6000 steps, WOW! Way to go. You’ll be walking that bridge and fishing with your husband this spring, if you’re not already. :yahoo: Keep it up, and check back in every once in a while. :console2:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Babushelen

Babushelen junior member

@MSgirl You will be missed. I echo what jboles said. Your positive outlook were an encouragement to me as well.

Enjoy your life with your new knees!!

{{{{Hugs}}}}

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. sistersinhim

Please come back and let us know about your recovery. People need to hear the good outcomes, too. Reading only bad posts can be discouraging. So, please drop in every so often with an update.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. MSgirl

MSgirl senior

Thank you, friends. I'll be keeping up with your journeys and know that we will all get there eventually. And knowing me, I'll probably not be able to resist a comment now and then. Jan, the dr. won't let me try the bridge yet because of the incline and I still haven't made it into the boat. I admit that I'm a little scared to try. He has promised to drive me around (is that what you call it?) so I can see the beautiful homes from the water side. When quad #2 gets stronger, I'll try to get my nerve up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. jboles

jboles graduate

You definitely need to get your nerve up, I’m sure those homes are beautiful. We had a boat years ago, I loved boat rides and fishing too!

17. SherrieT

SherrieT senior

Please come back and tell us all the wonderful things you are doing. It is so inspirational for us !

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. MSgirl

MSgirl senior

Hello, everyone, or as we say down here, hi y'all. Today marks three months since knee #2 was done. My boring recovery continues. I am still going to PT three times/week. I think I'll go for another three weeks. My ROM is 140/0 but my quad is not where I want it to be so we are continuing to work on it. I am seeing improvement recently so therapy is helping. It's fun and all of us have a good time. I am still doing what I call my walking program and after PT today, I walked three miles. Not great to some but I think you all will know that for me, it's huge.

My big news is that I started to garden again!!! That is my love, and I have not been able to do it for several years. Admittedly, I'm not down on my knees but bend from my waist. I was born flexible so that's not a big deal. But I have been cleaning out beds, spraying Roundup and cutting back our Sago palms that got burned in the late cold snap. I've made two trips to Lowe's for plants and am planning to redo the bed in front of the house. Joy! I really thought that I would never be able to garden again. Paying someone just isn't the same as getting my hands in the dirt. I am energized just thinking and planning what I'll do outside.

A friend of mine has a personal trainer who I think I'm going to call later this summer. Next month I'll be 70 (how did that happen?) and now that I have pretty good knees, I want to try to work on some upper body strength. I'll never be 40 again but would like to be as good a 70 as I can be. I feel so good and want to try to maintain and improve what I have.

And - I'm thinking it's time we got another dog. We had to have our dachshund put down two years ago when his back legs went out and this is the longest we have been without a dog. I found out about a lady in Alabama who breeds Schnoodles, a combination of schnauzer and poodle. Since we have had one of each and loved them both, I think we would love one. Now, I just have to convince my husband and that may be hard! Maybe if I tell him how much it will help my rehab to walk a dog...

Knee #2 isn't perfect. I still sometimes have pain in the night that subsides after I walk around, I swell a little now and then, my scar darkens as the day goes on and every now and then, #2 is warm. That numb spot is still there but no biggie. So - when I sit, my legs are always up on my Lounge Doctor (thank you, Bonesmart, for telling me about it!). I can go up stairs fine but coming down is more challenging. But that is improving. I have chosen to just ignore these issues. Based on knee #1 that is now 15 months old, it will just take more time. #1 has no problems and hopefully #2 will be the same. The knees are so much better than I could have imagined so a few aches and pains don't seem to be a big deal. No one ever told me I would have the knees of a 20 year-old, and I'm happy with what I have. If I never get any better, this is good enough.

I've been keeping up with all of you through your highs and lows and sincerely hope that brighter days are ahead for everyone. If any newbies are reading this, please know that a good, pain-free life is in your future. It may take time but as they say, it will all be worth it. Take care of yourselves. Spring has sprung (except for you folks up north. I am so sorry about the snow that just won't stop coming) and longer days just make us happier.
    Blessings, Ann

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. sistersinhim

Enjoy those new knees and that wonderful garden you're going to have!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. mlwreader

mlwreader senior

@MSgirl Wonderful update - 3 miles is awesome!!!!! And gardening - how wonderful for you. And a new puppy dog. It just can't get better than that! And take it from me, the 70's are awesome. You will love being 70. Big hugs.

• Like Like x 1