BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] Thank you, everyone

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by MSgirl, Jan 15, 2018.

1. mlwreader

mlwreader senior

United States United States
    Not boring at all @MSgirl - its a no news is good news kind of report. Thank God no falls, trips, spills, zingers, anxiety attacks, itchy scars . . . . Just ordinary recovery and it sounds great. EXCEPT FOR THE TERRIBLE BACK OF THE HAIR!!!! You crack me up. I can never get the back of my hair to look good anyway, so lying on my back probably improves the situation. :loll:So keep up the good work - doing great you are!

• Like Like x 1
  2. jboles

jboles graduate

Sounds like a pretty good 5 week report to me. I’m sort of glad to know that I’m not the only one that has the back of the head hair problem :loll:I wear a cpap mask, so it’s really messed up in the morning!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. MSgirl

MSgirl senior

Celle, would you mind changing my thread title to Progress? Thank you very much.

4. MSgirl

MSgirl senior

Today it has been six weeks since my surgery. In some ways, I'm embarrassed to give my report but decided that perhaps it might be encouraging to others. I'm hoping by posting this it might give hope to those still on the path to recovery.

I don't know why some of us get lucky and some don't. I'm one of the lucky ones with my knees, just the luck of the draw. It was the luck of the draw when I had cancer - no reason to get it, just unlucky, and I'm still here. Before knee #1, I really didn't know what to expect in the way of an outcome. I had not found Bonesmart so did not know about all the issues that could possibly happen. I was fairly upbeat (most likely influenced by my cancer experience). And I'm lucky to have moved four years ago to a town that has a very experienced orthopedist who has done thousands of knees.

I went to PT and walked a lot as soon as I could. Had all the usual aches and pains, poor sleep, etc. But the surgery worked. It wasn't perfect. I would still have soreness now and then and have to sleep on my back sometimes, etc., even at 10 months post-op. Those things really didn't bother me. I didn't expect perfection. I felt so much better and compared to before surgery, in a lot better place. I was able to exercise for the first time in maybe 15 years. And wonder of wonders, I felt younger than my then 68 years! In fact, I tell people that I only look old on the outside. Inside, I'm still rocking to Motown and can embarrass my 44 year-old son! I ended up with 145 flexion and 0 extension. It probably didn't hurt that I have always been extremely limber.

When it came time for #2, I just wasn't worried. My dr. said my outcome might not be as good as #1 and I told him to just wait and see. That obnoxious positivity coming out again. Knowing what to expect has made it so much easier this time. During the three months before surgery, I started to tighten my quad every time I sat down and that seems to have made a difference. I didn't even know what a quad was for #1.

For #2, I was able to get off narcotics at around two and a half weeks. The Tylenol dose recommended on Bonesmart has worked wonderfully. I started driving at three weeks and have been doing outpatient PT since then. Again, things aren't perfect. Still icing, elevating for hours a day and napping daily, much more than #1, because I read about it on Bonesmart and found it to be really helpful. Still sleeping on my back, knee pain in the day and night, swelling and if I don't pay attention, I catch myself limping. But if I do pay attention, my gait is good and my strides are getting longer. I still don't like to stand a long time on our stone floors and sitting with my legs down for a long time isn't pleasant. But I'm getting there. Yesterday at PT, I asked my therapist to measure me. I'm at 134 flexion and 0 extension. Who knows why? I have my first post-op Friday and look forward to seeing my dr.

I'm not ready to start back to my walking program yet because I still hurt - part of which was caused by a stupid thing I did and pulled my hamstring. Ouch. I'm kind of proud of it, though, because my PT said I could call it an athletic injury. I've never had one! The muscles and skin on my legs look gross and I've gained weight since I had to quit exercising back in October. Hopefully I'll be back to the program in another month.

So - folks, just know that you WILL get there. We all take different paths and are luckier in some ways more than others. Our knees weren't the same when we started due to medical history, arthritis, age or whatever. You have no idea how much I admire the way how those of you having difficulties are handling them with so much grace and upbeat spirit. I'm not sure I could do it.

I'm sorry about the length of this epistle. If you've read all the way to the end, you have a lot of perseverance. Take care of yourselves and please know that in the end, you will feel better. Life will be brighter. Thank you for all the help you have been to me and for inspiring me to appreciate my life more. And thank you, Bonesmart, for all the work you do daily to make this trip easier for all of us. You are the best!

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  5. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    What a great report!

Please don't feel embarrassed because you have nothing bad to report. A good report like yours gives people hope.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. MSgirl

MSgirl senior

@Celle, thank you. I wasn't sure whether to write it or not. Hope you are having a great day.

• Like Like x 1
  7. amymj

amymj member

Great news, MS Girl!!! You are doing great!!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Everyone loves reading good reports! Even rather ordinary nothing-special-going-on-here reports are reassuring to people looking at this surgery and wondering if they should do it. I read so many recovery threads, and reports like yours made me think “I can do that!” The super excellent ones were intimidating because, well, I knew I wasn’t superwoman material. The good reports that sounded like someone like me... were gold.

And for what it’s worth, you’re still doing great! :flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. GingerP

GingerP senior

@MSgirl , such great news. I have to pinch myself this second tkr recovery sometimes! This tkr couldn't be more different than #1. And by that, I mean in a very good way . I attribute much of the good things to the new OS, and of course the knowledge learned in my hard time healing #1.
    So proud of how well you are doing at 6 weeks!! Feels good to be able to get up and move around without that nasty knee pain. Your numbers are great and each day you will be feeling stronger in one way or another.....congrats! Keep up the good reports.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. jboles

jboles graduate

What a great report. Don’t be afraid to write it, shout it!! It gives us all hope that we might one day be where you are.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. MSgirl

MSgirl senior

@SusieShoes, I'm sure not superwoman. Just someone who got lucky. And problems could arise in the future so I'll keep trying to do the right thing. My right thing today is that I just woke up from an hour and a half nap. I'll probably not sleep a wink tonight! Good thing I woke up since I have to get dinner on the table. Thankfully, my husband is not particular and thinks leftovers are one of the great food groups.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. MSgirl

MSgirl senior

I had my post-op visit Friday. All is well. He was delighted with my 135/0 ROM and told me I could quit PT if I wanted. I'm going to go for a few more visits because I still need to build up the strength in my left leg. He showed me my x-rays. Boy, that knee cap really was messed up. That probably explains the grinding I felt when riding my bike! The shot of my new knee has everything lined up where it should be. He discharged me and said to come back in a year for follow-up. And I told him that I hoped I would not need any more new joints!

• Like Like x 2
  13. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I'm sure he was over the moon with delight at your progress! Even with your excellent ROM, keep in mind that your newest knee is not yet two months old. It may be an exceptional six week old, but that doesn't mean it can do everything an older child can do. Be careful and deliberate with any strength-building. Listen to your knee about how much you can do. You don't want to set back such a good recovery!

Your kneecap sounds like it was really offsides. It's so good with the parts work like they're supposed to! I also hope to never need another new joint. :unsure: They're a lot of work to get fixed!

14. MSgirl

MSgirl senior

Thanks, @SusieShoes. I guess I said my goals wrong. What I need to do is more work on strengthening my quad. I hate to admit it but I know I'm not going to join a gym and work out and it's way too early anyway. Until everything settles down inside my knee, I can only build up my walking distance slowly so that helpful activity will have to wait awhile longer. Today, my PT had me step up and down off a block of wood. The goal is to make that leg stronger and I do need the extra help. I also did some quad sets, road the bike, heel raises and stretches for my hamstring. So even is my ROM is good, I am definitely not done healing on the inside. I'll probably need to elevate and ice for a few more months or even longer. It just feels so good. Thanks again for the feedback!

• Like Like x 1
  15. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

What a super report! Your OS is wonderful! I wish everyone could be as blessed as you are! You know your knee and common sense is giving you a good recovery! You've got this!

16. Babushelen

Babushelen junior member

@MSgirl. Great report!! I think we share the same surgery date. I had my RTKR Jan 16. You are doing way better than me when it comes to ROM and extension. Driving at 3 weeks. Impressive!! I quit PT about 3 weeks ago. I have no idea what is my ROM or extension. But I’m determined to be patient and not to compare my recovery with anyone else’s.

It is really encouraging that you are doing so well. I have to do my left knee, but don’t think it’ll be any time soon. I want to see where I’m at after a year.

Thanks for sharing your updates!!

17. MSgirl

MSgirl senior

@Babushelen, forget about your ROM. I had to ask to get him to measure mine. The numbers don't matter. I think what does matter is to keep moving around. Are you able to go to the grocery store? It's a great way to walk with the cart fo assistance. An older (ninety year-old) lady told me that after she healed completely, she used to go to Lowe's. She would carry a "list" and walk up and down the aisles with her cart for exercise! Good idea in winter. The concrete floors would not be my friend right now. And you might be surprised about knee #2. After #1 heals, you may be eager to get it done. Having that hated arthritis pain gone, even with my current soreness, is a blessing!

• Like Like x 1
  18. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

My old knee got better as my new knee improved and took on more of my weight. Now, it's doing pretty good. I know it'll have to be done sooner or later, but I'd rather later at this point!

19. Babushelen

Babushelen junior member

@MSgirl - Yes I have been taking trips to the grocery store every week since about 2 weeks ago. We have Trader Joe’s here in NC and I look forward to that outing on Sundays. I use the shopping cart like a walker and use my cane to go in and out of the store. I hope to be more optimistic about my left knee too. My plan is to do strengthening exercises as soon as I’m able. Maybe that will help the recovery as it seems to have done for you.

@sistersinhim I hope my lefty will improve as yours did and as my right one gets stronger and can bear more weight.

One thing for sure. I now know what to expect thanks to Bonesmart.

20. MSgirl

MSgirl senior

Okay, now I'm jealous. Trader Joe's? I've never been in one but have heard that they are wonderful! Last year, my good friend sent me their Head to Toe Balm that I faithfully rubbed on knee #1's scar. It helped so much or at least made my knee soft. Meanwhile, when you have your legs up and are watching television, tighten your quad when you think about it. Your knee will thank you. And when you go to Trader Joe's, remember how lucky you are!!!

• Like Like x 1