THR Thank you all!

@Mojo333 and @Spex10
Oh, believe me — I'm under no delusions about what was done. Not one, but two bone wounds to heal (bone healing is an awesome process), two implants and a graft to incorporate, soft tissue trauma, a leg that needs to right itself after having everything pulled about, and a body that needs to sort out all this information. It's a lot. But also a lot less brutal than it used to be even five years ago. What used to be a very bloody surgery resulted in a mere cup of blood lost for me. I'm in awe. And the addition of robotics into the field will help open it up to women who previously didn't have the physical strength to do this surgery. (Carpenters for orthopedic surgery, furniture makers for pediatric OS, jewelers and watchmakers for hands and eyes.)

I'm mostly impatient and annoyed, which means I'm doing okay and healing.
What I WANT to do and what I DO do are wildly different things right now. All good.

I'm forever glad I found this site, and I want to thank everyone who has shared their experiences here.
I had my first post-op appointment with my surgeon this morning at 16 days. So far, so good. I've no restrictions (anterior approach), and we discussed LIGHT activities, avoiding tendinitis, etc. (I stopped my home health PT this week — they seem short-staffed and disorganized, which made me crazy, and not all of their employees are vaccinated. WHAT?!)
Car service to the appointment and back.
A bite of lunch at home (I've been very conscious about tracking protein and fiber).
Then out to our little local garden (1/2 block away) for Monarch butterfly tagging and releasing. So cool.
Chatted with a couple friends. Home, a few online chores, and then...
CRASH! Laid down for a nap and woke up hours later.
So I've spend the past half hour reading through posts and threads here and it's so helpful to know that this exhaustion isn't "just me." It's so easy to forget how much energy is needed for recovery and readjustment.
(Spoiler: a lot.)

@Mixii
Sorry for the mix up everything should be OK with your thread.

I have merged your most recent thread with your original thread so your recovery story is in one place, creating a diary for you and allowing staff to look over your thread so we can better address any of your questions and concerns.
Thank you,
Chris

Last edited:
@Pumpkin Thank you, Chris. Maybe retitle the thread just "Thank you all" if I'm not being too much of a pain at this point?

Re: blood pressure
I know that low BP/BP crashes are common after THR, but has anyone here been able to either reduce BP meds or get off them entirely after having surgery?
I was off my BP meds for a week following surgery, now (at 16 days out) taking about half of what I took before. I've long had the feeling that my mildly elevated BP was at least partly due to pain.
Anyone have a similar experience?

@Mixii Title changed for you!

I had low BP post both THRs but it was very temporary. It's probably best to check with your family doctor or cardiologist regarding any change in BP medication.

@Jaycey Thank you!
I'm doing this under instruction from my cardiologist and PCP. All good. I had minimal blood loss during surgery and my BP has slowly climbed back up, but not at all as previous. Still monitoring.
My husband's BP had tanked after his THR, didn't rebound, and he was transfused. (He's never had high blood pressure.)

I know that low BP/BP crashes are common after THR, but has anyone here been able to either reduce BP meds or get off them entirely after having surgery?
My blood pressure runs high, it dropped after both my surgeries. It quickly returned to pre surgery levels. Like you I was disappointed.

I had BP crashes after my THR. That lasted for a couple of days and was quite scary. However, they're past now. I only have to look at a BP machine and my BP sky rockets. If I take it at home when I'm calm and settled in mid afternoon it's fine though. I'm not on any meds and keep expecting GP to suggest it but I haven't seen mine for two years and doubt I'd be able to anyway thanks to Covid.

At 3 weeks I wouldn't be too concerned, the trauma of the operation is a lot more than the years of a bad gait. At 3 weeks the work I could do for better gait was very slow walking with good posture and not much of it at that. I used my shopping cart walking PT to walk very slow and deliberate.

@Eman85 Thanks.
And how are you doing now? I was stunned by my spinal X-rays, so torqued and twisted. Luckily for me, this isn't painful.

@Mixii I'm doing fine. I've had back problems for many years, mostly from doing dumb things. I have been able to keep my back in good shape especially post THR by doing stretches and Yoga. I guess an odd benefit of THR was sleeping with a pillow between my legs. It kept me from rolling past being on my side. The surprising benefit was it's helped my back pain so I kept using it.

3 weeks and 3 days post-op:

So, in spite of all of it — anxiety, fears, limited walking, poor sleep, weird bodily sensations — this was the first morning I woke up and thought: "I'm going to be okay."

It felt so great that I'm going to make it my daily morning mantra:
"I'm going to be okay."

Hold that thought.

Ankle and foot still VERY swollen going on 6 weeks post-op. I'm concerned about developing stasis dermatitis.
Anyone have a similar experience or informed advice to share? All is appreciated.
I'm walking, elevating, and now wearing compression stockings (toeless knee length) almost daily. I did a half hour of the "legs up the wall" yoga pose yesterday (with light lymphatic self-massage) and it nearly gave me entry to the ODIC. Felt good at the time, though.
Any other ideas? Anyone tried acupuncture for swelling?

Hi @Mixii
I'm concerned about developing stasis dermatitis.
I'm sorry you are still having swelling but don't think you need worry about venous stasis dermatitis because this happens when there's a problem with your veins, affecting both lower legs.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things....though I hope you are still icing that hip.
Some hippys have knee or foot swelling due to the manual manipulation during surgery, but most (like me) find that the swelling in feet is just gravity causing the swelling from your hip to pool in lower extremity.

I couldn't have done the yoga pose...or at least I can't imagine having to get back up :heehee:
Making sure your leg is elevated high enough while sitting is going to help.

My cohort @CricketHip is a lymphatic massage therapist and hopefully she can pop in with some helpful tips.

Stay cool today:ice:and I hope the swelling begins to resolve.

Because I had just minimal swelling for the first week post op I ignored advice to get off my feet and elevate often. Then at about 10 days Bam! Big giant leg and foot!
So I had to back off activity and spend a lot more time in the recliner with my feet up, on the bed 20 minutes twice a day with my leg on pillows, and slept with the leg elevated. Within about 4 days the water was being flushed out, and soon all the swelling was gone, and hasn't returned.
It was difficult to be lounging around so much, but in the end worth it.

@Mixii So sorry to hear about your continued swelling. If you don't mind I can give you some self help techniques to possibly help but you may want to look for a Certified MLD therapist to give you several sessions of lymph drainage. Since you recently had surgery you may even be able to find a therapist within your existing PT office? Massage therapists can get certified in this also but would want to be certain they are trained in the Vodder techniques.
But for now, let me leave you some things that you can do to see if you can make a change yourself..

Take deep breaths.. deep, as in breathing in to a count of 3 or 4, whatever is best for you. hold it for another count of 3-4, then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 of these could help get your excess swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand on your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up. (if you have the patience, please do more - at least 12- take a break if needed)

Then, as you slowly breath out, to the same count of either 3, 4 or 5 gently press down and slightly upwards with the palm of your hand.
Do this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. The more supine that you can get in the recliner or bed, the more effective this can be.. you have lymph nodes located in your groin and sitting up too much can cause a restriction of the lymph flow.

You can, after the breathing, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, right where the crease is in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval.
I did this quite a bit post op and while it takes a while for the body to wake up and respond, it will and it will help get things moving.
The reason this can help is because our lymphatic system doesn't use our cardiovascular system to help lymph fluids move.. no assistance from the heart pumping. Our breathing and our physical (muscular) movements keep it flowing.

you probably know this but here's some elevation tips too!
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/elevation-the-dos-and-donts.7602/

@Mojo333 @CricketHip

My reply to you both from the other day didn't post for some reason.
Anyway — THANK YOU.
I've been doing yoga breathing all along, but that navel massage addition is the bomb. @CricketHip I can't thank you enough. My foot and ankle is much improved. I saw my surgeon yesterday for my 6-week post-op and he seemed pleased.

(@Mojo333 Getting up off the floor after "legs up the wall" required some planning, mainly because I had to slide out of the pose and yoga mats are designed specifically to prevent sliding. It wasn't what you'd call graceful.)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back