THR Tessa’s Transformation<

:hi: @tessa
It just keeps getting better!
My sleep pattern is still not brilliant, I wake a couple of times a night, not due to pain, so I think it is the lying on my back that’s the problem.
Same here...it was a while before I could get consecutive hours.

Happy to hear you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
This year will be your year!:egypdance:

Yes do keep things slow, slow and steady. Leg length can well change a great deal and equalise itself. Worry not about sleeping yet. For many of us it takes a long time to sleep on sides, possibly much beyond 6 weeks but it keeps improving. Muscles take a long time. When one lot settle another lot can start up - do not be dismayed just stick with it.

I am now 9 weeks post of and feel I have hit a bit of a brick wall!.
Good points are that the surgeon is happy, just want to see me at 8 months as he does with all uncemented prosthesis. I am now driving! Physio was happy and said to just carry on with daily activities, she said she doesn’t need to see me routinely but I can contact her if I feel I need to. I have been swimming. Walking is going ok. Still using a stick for any distance, but with a stick I can walk a couple of miles. However, whilst walking is not a problem I still struggle with general movement...not sure if this is normal! I cannot bend to do up shoe laces and getting in and out of the car is not easy. I am sleeping well but I am really stiff and uncomfortable in the morning.
I am due to go back to work at the end of the month and not sure how I will manage.
Of course This may all be normal , just need some reassurance that at some point I will feel normal again!

Last edited:
@tessa Can you do a phased return to work? It's actually still early days for you. This recovery can take 12 months or more depending on how long you limped around pre-op. All that you are feeling is totally normal - part of the healing process.

Are you taking anything for that early morning stiffness? Paracetamol might help. And please do not try doing all that exercising when you return to work. You will need to go home and rest.

I am in conversation with my manager and will certainly be doing a phased return.
I am taking paracetamol in the morning and it does help, just takes time.

At not even two and a half months you have a lot of healing still going on.
It can take up to a year, I've read even longer more than once. So...lots of room for improvement.
My OS's PA reminded me we'll never be 100% post THR simply because they can't match our natural hip, or its function when it was performing optimally.
Many will tell you that any less than 100% still makes it all worthwhile no longer living with the pain and limitations of our pre-op condition.
Time and patience....you'll get there. You're doing well!
Hope you are enjoying a peaceful evening. :)
@tessa

If both your PT and your surgeon are happy with your progress, you should be reassured---that's great news!:happydance:

I think once we are able to be more active, we are even more frustrated at times when we feel our activities or mobility are limited. Right after surgery we expect to be in pain and have to take it easy. After a few weeks the pain isn't constant, but it still is worrisome when we have it, and we want to get back to the life we had before our hip went bad on us.

I found that if I didn't dwell on it too much, every week there was some improvement over the preceding week, and eventually it gets to the point that things return to normal. But in that "in the middle" time where you are, lots of aches and pains pop up, so hang in there.:)

This recovery thing certainly isn’t smooth! Each day varies but I feel I am getting there!
However, I am getting more pain in my right hip, which has never bothered me before. When I saw the surgeon he said I did have some arthritis in that hip, it wasn’t too bad , but once it started bothering me we could discuss surgery!
Is it common for the opposite side to become more troublesome post surgery, I suppose it does take a bit of a pounding!

Hi tessa,
So sorry, it throws a monkey wrench into recovery, doesn't it? :yes:
Yes, it is common. Often as your gait changes once again, you may notice that. You're probably favoring your op leg some and the other is rebelling. Hopefully you're able to hold out a little longer as your body adjusts to your new hip. Try icing it when it's bothering you just as you're doing with your op leg.
Wishing you comfort and relief.
@tessa

Hi Tessa,
I’m a little tardy replying to you after your post on my thread.
The last you mentioned you were heading back to work in a week. How’s work going for you?
At 51 years of age, I’ve lowered my standard of accomplishments to being able to put in my right sock, without my “sock-aid” and tie my right shoe.
After managing the sock thing about a week ago, which wasn’t pretty, I haven’t been able to do it since. Mainly because my lower back, right glute, and upper hamstring just feel WAY too tight!
I am, however, able to tie my right shoe by getting into a deep squat, which isn’t a problem.
I hope you’re going well, Hippie Twin!! :thumb:

Hi all!
Well almost 4 months post op and good and not quite so good to report.
I am back at work on a 6 week phased return, all going well apart from feeling tired for the first couple of weeks. I haven’t used my stick for the past week, despite walking at least 10,000 steps a day. Virtually no pain, just muscular discomfort in my thigh, taking 2 paracetamol in the morning and evening.
However I still haven’t got full movement back, can’t tie shoe laces and am still finding putting on sock difficult. Going up stairs is also hard work. I also still get those awful “stutter steps”
Unfortunately my right hip is definitely playing up. The surgeons comment when I last saw him was “it’s not too bad” but is reviewing it in August. Will have it done in a heartbeat!!!!

Recovery from THR can take one year or more. You will continue to gain ROM, be able to put on socks and shoes and do stairs as normal. All this just takes time and patience.

Hi Tessa!:wave:
You sound wonderful...and all sounds normal (stutter steps, stiffness, etc) for recovery.
This was my experience...and as Jaycey reminds...lots of improvement to come.
This was also my experience!:yes:

Great job! Summer will be sweet!:SUNsmile:

Hi @tessa
Putting on socks and tying shoelaces will come. I reverted to all slip ons as my hip began deteriorating. Aside from my athletic shoes (with ties) I am loving slip ons....easy peasy!
You're doing well. Enjoy the day and have a great week!

Progress continues, I now don’t even think about using a stick and have forgotten to take paracetamol several times. In fact my right hip is definitely more painful now!

Glad to hear you're doing well. Sorry your right hip is bothering you.
It's an all too common story here, sadly.
Stay in touch as you continue healing. We'll be here.
A great weekend to you!
@tessa

Stopping by to say :hi: and wish you a Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Enjoy the weekend! :SUNsmile:
@tessa

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member