THR Tessa’s Transformation<

Thank you. Had another good nights sleep but feeling very tired this morning so have come back to bed for a rest.
Pain still easily managed and icing lots which helps so much.
Have done a couple of sets of heel slides but otherwise relying on my walking to provide the exercise needed!

Hi tessa, :wave:
Swelling is totally normal at this point. Ice, ice, ice.
Josephine, the forum Nurse recommends icing for no less than 40-60 mins each session, several times per day. I iced each time I was sitting or lying down, which is often during early recovery. I also fell asleep with an ice pack and refreshed it during the overnight bathroom break. Rest / sleep all you can, out body does it's best healing while we're sleeping.

Check out the Activity Progression if you haven't yet. I found it helpful to use as a rough gauge and refered to it weekly in those early days of healing -
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

A peaceful Wednesday to you!

Can’t believe how well I am sleeping! One of my main concerns was having to sleep on my back! However I am sleeping better than I have for years. I am only waking once to use the toilet, although I am not rally in pain then I do take something .
This morning husband has gone to work so my daughter has just arrived to help out .
My leg is still really swollen so going to continue with the icing

These first weeks are certainly a bit jarring...but things will get better quickly and you sound like you are doing well just "rolling with it" at this point.
Take your meds on time and just short walks as you say is all that is needed this first week.
All going to be well worth it!!:friends:

@tessa... I thought I’d check in with my “hippie-twin” to offer my encouragement and to let you know that, so far, the biggest life improvement has been getting my sleep back!! I know this recovery journey is all about the little victories, but being able to sleep so early in the process has been a huge gift!!

Good job on your recovery , thus far. I look forward to checking in on your updates!

@gloveguy
Agree re the sleep! I was so worried about having to sleep on my back as I am naturally a side sleeper and move a lot during the night. On reflection I wonder if this was because I was uncomfortable as I have slept better since surgery than I have for years! If it wasn’t for my bladder I think I would sleep all night!
Today continues to be a good day! I have been bothering around the house and have taken a short walk outside, it’s not raining today so need to make the most of the opportunity to get some fresh air.
I am starting to reduce the cosine I am taking (60mg to 30mg) and along with the paracetamol and plenty of ice I have very little pain.

I was the same, tessa! Didn't know how I was going to sleep on my back. Miraculously I slept soundly and also like you only woke to use the bathroom halfway through the night, then back out cold for an additional 3-4 hrs.
Could be the drugs, or just our traumatized body working optimally to heal. One Week Anniversary for you already tomorrow. Time sure flies when we're having fun :heehee:
Have a good one!
@tessa

Wow, you’re doing so well, and you seem wonderfully relaxed about the whole ordeal!! Congrats on making it to the other side!!

These updates are in danger of getting boring!!! Sleep well again
Hubby has gone to work and once daughter arrives am going to have my first shower!!!!!! I think I will fine standing but will have a chair available.
How did others manage their first showers?

Hi @tessa I was happy to have my hubby nearby for my first couple of showers just because of the energy drain. I took my time. I took my first shower at about three days post op, as my OS put a waterproof bandage on my wound. It feels so great to have a shower and wash my hair. I'm sure you be really pleased!!

I was admittedly nervous. It was the fastest shower I ever had..but I had bilateral so none too steady.
Washed hair, did quick wash off and out of there.
With hubby hanging close.
Then dressing...then happy and worn out and in my recliner.
Feel like a new person!
Hope your day is sweet, Tessa.

Shower achieved without incident! Feel much better and relaxing with my best friend, ice , before going for a short walk outside.
Swelling is definitely reducing and leg feels less stiff.

Well done. I remember it well. Stepping up into the shower with my crutches, husband expectantly waiting outside for me to hand me a towel. It seems far away now.

Great news on the shower. It feels so good to take the first one post op.
Mine felt a little hurried and scary. I felt a bit wobbly, but such a great feeling once it's behind you and your in you're favorite chair or bed chillin.
A great weekend to you!
@tessa

Happy 1st “week-i-versary” @tessa!
Your recovery thread may be looking a bit boring to you, but it’ll provide inspiration for others that are having a challenging week 1, and need a little faith that things will get better! Good for you! :yay:
Here’s to continued good sleep! :sleep:

Thanks all!
I feel I am doing ok.
I am trying to cut down on the pain reliving medication but not sure if a) this is realistic or b) if it is wether I am doing it in the right way. Yesterday evening I was more uncomfortable than I had been since coming home. I wonder if @Josephine could share some of her wisdom?

Hi Tessa. Jo had been away from the forum for a few days so might be a bit before you hear back from her.
Any particular reason you are trying to go without your meds this early out?
They are what kept me comfortable enough to rest and to move about.
I think it is too early for you to worry about that...you obviously still need them.
Pretty sure Josephine would agree!

I agree I still need the pain meds.
I am keen to get off the oromorph (didn’t take any at all yesterday) , and want to make sure I am managing my pain effectively . To be honest this evening is so much better than yesterday....perhaps I am worrying about nothing.
I have started to walk a bit using one crutch which is not as easy as with two but I am sure it will come with practice. At least then I can carry things!

Hi tessa,
At only 8 days post op please don't expect too much, sweetie.
This was major surgery and you'll have some pain. Take your meds as prescribed, on schedule, ice and get lots of rest. Our bodies do their best healing while we're sleeping. Take it all slow, even weaning off the assistive devices. The forum Nurse recommends icing several times per day, for no less than 40-60 mins per session. It helps with pain and swelling. Wishing you comfort and hoping you have a good day!
@tessa

Hi @tessa,
By reading your recovery thread I think we have a lot in common re:personality type, etc. Now that I’m on the recovery side I can see what the hundreds of posts I read on BS before my surgery were talking about. Basically, “stay the course, SLOW & STEADY...” they said.
Then, I also remembered back to April of 2018 when I had my original consultation with my OS and I realized I had found my surgical team. His personal assistant basically read me the “riot act” when it came to the recovery side of the process. She told me, back then, how if they suggested I stay on my walker for 1 week without limping, make it 2 weeks. If they suggested 1 week on crutches without limping, make it 2 weeks, and so on. The funny thing is when I was researching my OS on sites like “RateMD’s”, out of the 1% of negative reviews he gets, most of the negative stuff is people telling us what a “&$@$?” his personal assistant is, lol!! She obviously just wants the best for their patients. All she’s saying is look, we’ve given you this amazing gift, don’t mess with it, lol!!
Now... what was my point, oh yeah, I just wanted to emphasize that my sense of things is that trying to move from one step of recovery to the next, too soon, can possibly set the recovery back days or weeks.
It sure is hard to be a patient patient, though! :flabber:
Please keep inspiring us with your great recovery thread @tessa!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom