THR Tessa’s Transformation<

tessa

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
All done! Back on the ward and awaiting a cup of tea. Had a spinal which was great, cannot feel a thing now.
Apparently there was a lot of damage and some arthritis so definitely the right decision to go for replacement rather than arthroscopy...in the surgeons words ‘you were right’

Congrats! Welcome to Recovery :welome:
Please find the Recovery Guidelines below. Pay special attention to the Big Tip toward the bottom.
Stop by often, we'd love to offer support as you're on your healing journey.
A great day to you!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @tessa

Still feeling good! Sensation slowly coming back, some discomfort so have had some oromorph , they seem to be very clear about not letting pain get anything over 1-2.
Physio came felt I was not ready to stand as sensation not fully back so they will return tomorrow!
Oh and I have had a very nice prawn sandwich!

@tessa Welcome to the other side! Sounds like your op went well. Easy does it on the PT. Ask for ice if you need it. You are on your way!

Well that was an interesting afternoon!!!
Nurse came at about 5.00 to do my observations and was chatting to hubby when I started to feel slightly dizzy, nothing awful and to be honest if the nurse hadn’t been there I am not sure I would have said anything. Luckily I did and when she looked my BP was 45/26!!!!!!!!!

Well the next minute the Dr and anesthetist were there (they were fast bleeped), I was lying flat , fluids up and oxygen on. My temp also dropped to 35. However, throughout it all I was aware and only feeling dizzy and slightly sick!!!! As the nurse said she has never seen a conscious patient with a BP that low!

Anyway my BP has very slowly come up to 75/49 and I feel fine! Have had a meal and a cup of tea and am slowly being allowed to sit more upright! The anaesthetist reviewed my medication, has stopped the long lasting morphine and has written up Ketamine alongside oramorph. They are very committed to making sure you have as little pain as possible. The “pain” I have is really just an ache but I had some oromorph just in case.

Also had a rather full bladder but after 15 mins on a bed pan, again not as uncomfortable as I thought, I managed to go!

Have changed into my own night clothes and here’s hoping for some sleep!!!!

Oh gosh, that was a close call and what a good job the nurse was on hand! It sounds to me like the recovery sent you back to the ward too soon as that's the kind of event we usually see in recovery, though not too often as it would be anticipated. Glad you feel better now.

Hi @tessa, Congratulations on being on the healing side! Your "interesting" afternoon with your BP was rather interesting to say the least! So glad the nurse was right there, phew! I have normally low PB but it was quite low on my first hip and I had to drink lots and have O2 etc. Wasn't allowed to get up to walk the first day. It improved vastly the next morning. I was allowed to walk, do steps, practice car loading and go home by 2 PM. Second surgery earlier this month, my PB was also ow but again, drank a lot of fluids and took things slowly and home I went. The PT was having a fit at first, but it all worked out. Hoping you are now having a great sleep and all will be sorted by the morning.
:flwrysmile:

It certainly was an experience. I had been back on the ward for 4 hours when BP plummeted. Didn’t have a good night sleep, obviously they have been closely monitoring me as BP has not risen much above 80/50 although I feel Ok. It has not been the pain which is well controlled that has stopped me sleeping rather the constant interruptions / alarms / stocking pumpers! It’s 5am so think I am going to give up on sleep for now so have just had some more oromorph and enjoying a cuppa.
Let’s see what today brings!

Many people have low BP post op. But your's was pretty low! Glad the nurse was there for you. Easy does it today. If you are feeling the slightest bit of dizziness don't let them get you out of bed. This will ease with time.

Hopefully your BP stays higher today and let's you get up and moving :SUNsmile: I'm so glad your pain is being managed well.

Hi Tessa!
So glad all is levelling off so you can feel better and get on with this recovery business.
Sending healing hugs your way :roseshwr:

Last edited:
Feeling so much better today, BP still low but nothing too concerning. Have been for an X ray and physio visited. I managed to walk to the bathroom without too much difficulty using a frame. Worse part was getting out of bed, leg feels really heavily and difficult to move.
I have minimal pain at rest and when walking but moving round the bed is painful, especially if I catch the incision.
Now exhausted so going to take some pain relieving meds and have a nap!

I managed to walk to the bathroom without too much difficulty using a frame. Worse part was getting out of bed, leg feels really heavily and difficult to move
Glad you were able to manage ..
Don't worry Tessa. All normal.
I also had "log leg"
Didn't want to cooperate.:unsure:
All temporary and extremely common.:yes:
Try to just roll with it right now.
You are doing just fine!:console2:

Had a really good afternoon. Physio came back and we went for a short walk, here view is very much walking is the best medicine, little and often. She left me with an ice pack which was wonderful.
Hubby helped me out of bed so I could sit and eat dinner. Pain in the actual hip is minimal but the incision certainly makes up for it.
BP is still low but hopefully they won’t be monitoring it hourly so I can get a good nights sleep!

Hi @tessa ,
Welcome to the other side. It looks as though you had an experience similar to mine. In fact, I was very surprised when I read the first line of your post, i.e. that they let you use your PC/smartphone/tablet or whatever to post on bonesmart. They would not let me do that. I had a spinal with sedation, too, and had low BP - not as low as yours but well below the normal 120/80 - and low haemoglobin for the first few days.
My op was in April 2015, and my hip is great. I can do more than I was able to do for years before the op. I can also jog/run and my flexibility is much better.
After the operation, they kept me in the holding room, flat on my back, for a complete 6 hours and sent my husband away who was trying to visit at 4 pm. I was bored to death and starving hungry. But they kept on filling me up with liquid (intravenous drip) until 5, when I was finally allowed something to eat. I was wide awake and very excited - so happy the pain was gone. Tell me, did you also sleep when you had the sedation. They told me I would hear a loud noise, but - nothing - I slept like a log.
I wish you a great recovery
Constanze

The sedation was great. I slept soundly throughout the op and woke as if I had just had a normal nights sleep. So much better than a GA.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. I had very low BP, and hémoglobine like you constantly being checked. I was glad to get home and start my recovery routine at home.

Hi @tessa
I had my 2nd hip replacement on 24th Nov.
My experience was similar to yours. Tried to go to the bathroom the morning after the op and suddenly came over, dizzy, hot and feeling sick. Nurse laid me back down and gave me oxygen. BP was low. Physio came but decided not risk me getting out of bed until the afternoon. Had another dizzy session when hubby came to visit so physio decided not to do anything at all that day.
Well that's how it went for a couple of days but BP improved enough for me to have my physio sessions and leave hospital as arranged.
Everything seems to have sorted itself ok now and other than that I am dong well.
I hope you continue to improve and get back on track.
Best wishes

Well that was a much better night! Settled down at about 11, woke for a wee at about 1 and then slept solidly till 5.30, which is my normal waking time. Feel very stiff this am. Have just taken paracetamol and will see hoe it goes.
Every time I get out of bed it feels easier!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom