THR Tessa’s second go!

tessa

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Well that was eventful!
arrived at the hospital to be told that that instead of going down at 1.30, it would be later....possibly as late as 5.30 due to a couple of complex cases...obviously can’t be helped.
Met with the anaesthetic consultant and discussed the problems with my very low blood pressure following my previous surgery and agreed to see if different pain relief may help.
finally left the ward at 5.15. Spinal in without a hitch and slept like a baby throughout. Was kept in recovery a bit longer to ensure my BP was ok and back on the ward shortly after 8pm.
i was so thirsty and longed for a cup of tea but was advised to sip on water until I passed urine. My spinal appeared to be very effective, absolutely no pain or feeling below my waist....which was great but not conducive to weeing!!!
i felt a bit chilly and popped my hand under the sheet to feel.......a substantial wet patch! The lovely staff sorted me out and a bit of feeling returned, making me realise I had a very full bladder. A scan revealed 850mls!!!! A catheter was duly inserted....what a relief! I thoroughly enjoyed my tea and sandwiches , watched an episode of Masterchef and given I had no pain thought I may even get some sleep. By this time it was 1am...I started to feel a bit warm and sweaty and assuming it was the usual hospital heating was about to ring for someone to take of the blanket when the blood pressure machine burst into life and read 53/27 with a pulse of 40!!!
Needless to say the doctor was summoned. Apart from feeling a bit warm I felt fine and a couple of hours later, oxygen and lots of IV fluids my BP had risen to the dizzy heights of 74/47. Needless to say despite very little pain I got virtually no sleep due to Bleeps, pumps and people popping in to see if I am ok!
Throughout this I have felt fine, just had a lovely breakfast, IV paracetamol has worked its wonders. The nursing staff feel a day in bed is called for, will see what the physios say!

:hi:
Been looking for you to pop your head up and give us a thumbs up.:friends:

Scaring the folks around there already while you chill:nah:
No more of that, young lady.:no-fin:

Major surgery sure can put some things out of whack initially.
Hope all stays leveled off.
Big Healing Hugs, @tessa :loveshwr::loveshwr:

My, my that was some experience. Try to sleep whenever you can. I am glad the surgery went well.

Sorry you had a bit of a rough start. Sounds like you are back on track now. I'll leave your recovery reading list here for you to refer to if needed.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

wow... I have never heard of such low blood pressure.... nor pulse.
Happy everything is coming back to normal.
Take it easy @tessa

:wave:@tessa
It's good to see your update, wow! You kept everyone hopping for a bit.. I hope today is going smoothly and you continue to enjoy your hot tea and nice meals.. you are officially a double hippie now!!

Wow...what a start! Be careful with that blood pressure! What a blessing to have your pain under control! Congratulation on your new hip!

Welcome to the healing side, again. :snork: Wow, you were really giving the staff a run for their money! Happy to see that it looks like things are sorting themselves out. Try to get as much sleep and rest as you can, I know, almost impossible in the hospital. :friends::alarm:

Hi there,
Welcome to Recovery! It's good to read things are settling after the flurry of activity with your BP. Hopefully your pain is well managed and you're able to rest comfortably. You'll soon be home in your own space where you'll really be able to relax without all of the interruptions of a surgery site.
Wishing you lots of comfort as you begin healing.
@tessa

What a busy day! My blood pressure has continued to cause concern at time, although not as low as it has been. The medical team have no idea why it is so low, on the whole I am asymptomatic. My Hb is borderline so they may repeat it tomorrow.
i did manage to get up and take a short walk and sat out for dinner with hubby.
At Rest pain is virtually nil apart from a bit of shin pain. Ice is really helping.
They are leaving the catheter in overnight which is great, one less thing to worry about having to get up for!
fingers crossed for a decent sleep.

At least you have no pain which is wonderful. Hopefully all will get sorted and your BP will stabilize soon at a normal level.

Congratulations on your new hip.

Good morning!
Cannot believe how well I slept! Was in bed at 8.00 and just about stayed awake till 9.00 when the surgeon popped in to say how well everything went. Dozed till 10.30 when they did obs and mess then slept solidly till 4am. Had a couple of paracetamol then and have just woken! I cannot believe I am completely pain free as I lie here!!! Of course I am sure it will kick in when I get going, but for now I am happy!!!!

Just realised they didn’t do a mess but meds!!!! Perhaps I need even more sleep!
Just had my catheter removed and going to have some pain relief to try to maintain this pain fee state!

Last edited:
Well yesterday, once again was interesting!
Good points, very little pain, at rest none at all just when I move. Managed to get up and walk up and down the corridor with crutches.
my BP has remained low but stable.
i have been feeling so tired and they have discovered I have a low HB, discussions as to wether I need a transfusion but have decided to put me on iron tablets. Then late afternoon I spiked a high temperature so to cover all bases I have had a full septic screen.
once again I have had a really good nights sleep, settled at 11.00 , woke at 3am for a toilet trip and pain relief and then slept until 6.45.
results dependant I hope to get home today and hope the pain stays as it is!

You are keeping them on their toes. I hope they find nothing serious and you can get home soon. Nice to read that pain is under control and you are sleeping well.

:mcoffee: Good morning (for me) @tessa
Sorry I couldn't catch on to your typo...feeling a bit dense.:unsure:
My first weeks of posts are so rife with it and autocorrect was also working against me:heehee:
I hope the pain plan is still working well for you and that today is a much better day so you get homebound very soon.
Healing vibes coming across the pond!
.:angel:

Good morning @tessa I hope you had another restful night and that all of your tests are negative, meaning no infection or whatever else they are checking for.
Your body is working hard to help you recover, isn't it? Maybe a wee bit over diligent, too? :heehee:
But it's trying to help and it sounds like you have a good team of Dr's and nurses helping.
That is such a good thing.
My blood pressure remained low for a few weeks after I returned home, I usually take blood pressure meds and wasn't able to take them for the first 3 weeks.
You sound like you are taking things in stride, so good for you!
Hopefully you will have a good update for us later with some things improving. Little to no pain is a plus though!!
Take care.. :SUNsmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom