Terrified

KarriB I will work at it slowly and my surgeon thinks because of my determination that I will get back to long distance walking given time. Once my knee or knees depending on whether they do the other have healed to the point I can put the miles in again I will give it a good go. I live in Fife not too far away from St Andrews.
Jockette my original surgery date was 30th May but because they found a heart murmur at pre assessment that date was cancelled until I had a heart scan which came back clear. With that in mind I booked my holiday for 18th Sept. I spoke to the surgeon when they gave me the new date and she said that it was fine to go on holiday on that date. The flight would be OK as long as I move around. She said if the op had been any later then I would have had to cancel the operation till after my holiday. So I am trusting her that I can go. I have checked out hiring mobility scooter in the resort just in case I need one so as to be mobile with daughter and grandson.

Last edited:
Fife and St. Andrews is a beautiful part of the country. I loved visiting and traveling all over Scotland.

Renting a scooter is a great idea! I’m sure you’ll hear later on that you may still be needing to ice and elevate at 12 weeks, but BS can help you with all that when the time comes.

Scotland is lovely. Just wish we had better weather. I plan to go to lockerbie on the day I get out of hospital even though it is a 2 hour drive. We have a static caravan there and it's actually got more space than my house plus its all on the flat and a walk in shower. At home I have a lot of stairs and no shower. Lockerbie is lovely. It's just before the border into England. I just hope I can survive the journey. I plan to stay there for 8 weeks. I have even found out I can hire a mobility scooter locally if I need one. For my holiday I will contact airport and get assistance on and off the plane just to be on safe side.
I am feeling so much calmer now after talking to everyone on here. I am still terrified but you are all helping me so very much. Just over a week to go now and the nerves are still there but I now need to start planning for going in. I left my caravan all set up for going down after reading what to do. Bed is all freshly made. Books all ready in sitting room and bedroom. Spare tv set up so I can watch what I want instead of what hubby wants .. .

Last edited:
I was so anxious about my surgery, I put it off for a couple of years, but finally did my first knee in February. So happy I did it. And now I’m having the second replaced July 24.

At my pre op,I told the docs how anxious I was and both the anesthesiologist and os suggested a general.i was a little drowsy waking up but fine. Pain was well controlled. Am doing the same in July.

Recovery has been a long road....I could not walk my dog for at least 8-9 weeks. But now i’m ready for the other knee...I know it will be better.

Wishing you all the best for your surgery.

Thank you Eeek. I have talked at length with Orthopedic nurse and surgeons secretary. They are taking me in the day beforeand getting me first down. The Orthopedic nurse is going to come see me on Tuesday night just to try and relax me. I will go over my fears again with her and beg her to ask that I am kept asleep throughout the entire thing, that they don't try put as cannular in my hand and that they promise me maximum pain control as I don't deal with any pain at all well. I cry like a baby.

I totally understand the anxiety. I meditated and took Xanax the week before my surgery. Finally a couple days before, I just came to the realization that I had to do this, it would be a good thing, and I was able to reframe it as something to look forward to (in a weird way).

Eeek I am scared stiff of everything about this. My phobia of needless is overwhelming. I also have massive fear of pain after the operation. I don't do pain. I think that is where the fear of needles come from as I always find they hurt . I know I am totally mad.

Mollymax...holy moly! You are quite the walker!!! Very impressive! I can only imagine it must be very difficult to not be able to walk 13.1 and 26.2 (miles) any longer. Here in the US half and full marathoners have stickers on their car windows that say either 13.1 or 26.2. My sticker says 00.0 :rotfl: Seriously, the endorphins released during intense physical activity help so much with panic, fear and anxiety among other things.

Yorkies and Lhasas are so darn cute! They will make you smile during your recovery.
Sounds like you have a super medical team! They will surely be considerate of your fears.
Hope you are finding peace.

Hi Molly
I think I was about the same as you pre operation. For the last few months before surgery I figured I could walk about 50 steps before I had to get on crutches. By the way. All of those 50 steps were very painful bone on bone. I know you’re kind of concentrating on the imminent surgery. About all you can do is try to eat well get good rest. Maybe even elevate those knees (above your heart)!!! Elevating post surgery is one of the MOST important things you’ll be doing. Get a little comfort food lined up for when you get home.

Hi Molly, you will get through all this and you will be stronger for having done so. The other benefit will be a brand new knee.

I dislike pain, and I was surprised that mine was not as painful. I think the before pain exceeded the after pain so much, and my knee was stable from the start. My husband observed that I was walking better with my 4 day old knee than before.

I think I am afraid of pain too. I’m not afraid of needles. I hate - to the point of fear - having my blood pressure taken. I have a fat arm, they need to have a big cuff and position it correctly. By the time they figure it out, there is so much stress it’s a disaster.

By the time they figure it out, there is so much stress it’s a disaster.
I can definitely see how that process can raise your blood pressure! :console2:

I will work at it slowly and my surgeon thinks because of my determination that I will get back to long distance walking given time.

"Given time" is definitely doable; the one caveat is that none of us can dictate what that time will be. Some people recover more quickly and get back to their favorite activities sooner, but most people will find their recovery takes longer than they'd planned/hoped. As long as you keep in mind that your knee will set its own timeline for recovery and work with it instead of trying to force it, you'll get back to long distance walking.

The flight would be OK as long as I move around.

At twelve weeks you should be fine for the flight itself. You will probably still benefit from finding ways to 1) not walk too much, and 2) elevate and ice at that stage. Be open to cutting back on activities to keep your knee(s) happy.

Very few people actually like or want pain, which is why modern medicine has so many ways to fight it. Work with your medical team to find the best way to manage yours and you'll do just fine!

Eeek my husband hates getting his BP taken too and by the time they get it taken his BP has gone up. He hates the feeling of the cuff tightening.
Susieshoes I am reading my way through your recovery thread and finding it very interesting and very good and helpful.

I don't just dislike pain it frightens me incase I cry like a baby, make a huge fuss and drive the medical staff insane and embarrass myself.

On the plus side - there has to be hasn't there... - I am hoping the pain medication is so good that it not only kills the pain in my operated leg but kills the pain in the other one too... Lol.

I like to think I handle pain well and I didn't want to be "high maintenance" with my first tkr. The nurses would rather that you're honest with them. It's not being a baby to be honest. In fact they told me to keep them informed on my pain levels. They want you to be as comfortable as possible.

If you do that the pain is really quite manageable. I always say my recovery pain after the first few days was mostly an "achy stiffness" that the pain meds helped greatly with.
Easier said than done, I know, but practice telling yourself "this is manageable." "It will not be horrible." :)
Don't listen to people who try to overdramatize.:groan::wink:
It sounds like you will be well taken care of.

On a side note, Scotland is on my list of places I want to visit someday.

Mollymax, I understand your fear over your upcoming surgery. I'm worried too (mine is July 26). I keep in mind that many have been down this road before me, and almost all of them say "I wish I'd done this sooner." As for pain, as many others have said, modern medicine has come a long way (or as I like to put it: Better Living through Chemistry!).

Funny story, our oldest daughter has an insane fear of needles. We went one time to a hospital with very good nurses, and had to put in a IV into her hand. The nurse was talking to her the whole time, she was crying and screaming, telling her to not do it, that she knew it was going to be horrible. And then the nurse told her "I put it in 2 minutes ago." At which point we all had a very good laugh, and realized that the problem was in her mind. I'm not trying to dismiss your fear (I definitely have them too), but I know you can get through this. Life will be so much better for you after.

I should be sleeping as I have work to get up for in 5 hours but my brain won't switch off and I keep coming on here to read more info. I would like to thank everyone for all your posts they are really helping me and my fears. To know I am not alone in how I feel is a big help.
Can I ask another question? Several years ago at a different hospital the surgeon said he would never operate on my left knee due to the amount of attacks of cellulitus I have had in that leg. He said infection was too risky as could attack the new joint. This year I was sent to a different hospital therefore different surgeon who said as I hadn't had an attack for 8 years she didn't see it as a problem and agreed to go ahead. Hence operation is next week. Has anyone been in this situation? Am I worrying for no reason?
You will all be thinking I am a pure worrier. I guess I am. A coward and a worrier- now who can beat that..lol:heehee::rotfl:

JamesN good luck for the 26th. I will be thinking about you. Lol to your daughter and the needle. That will be me. Hopefully I can laugh too after it but I will still be asking them not to put it in my hand unless they fancy a black eye...lol

Several years ago at a different hospital the surgeon said he would never operate on my left knee due to the amount of attacks of cellulitus I have had in that leg. He said infection was too risky as could attack the new joint. This year I was sent to a different hospital therefore different surgeon who said as I hadn't had an attack for 8 years she didn't see it as a problem and agreed to go ahead. Hence operation is next week. Has anyone been in this situation? Am I worrying for no reason?
Yes. That cellulitis is long gone. The organism that caused it has been dealt with.

You're no more likely to develop cellulitis again than you are to get another sore throat when you've already had one.

If there's any reason why you are more prone to catching infections - such as being diabetic - your medical staff need to know that and take additional precautions.

@Celle No I have nothing that would cause it. Have had it 7 times in same leg. Usually through athletes foot but one time through shaving legs before a holiday when i ended up in a Turkish hospital for a week. They say they will give me plenty of antibiotics on the day but I was hoping they might continue with them for a while as they did when I got bunion operation. My mind kept thinking the worse all night. Now I have to get out to work with little sleep.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie