THR Terrified of the surgery...Help!

So so agree with @linette333, it's that simple. I was being sidelined so much and the pain was making me so depressed with only worsening in sight
I thought no, I want to correct this. Looking forward to doing hip #2 soon and moving on with my life.
Make your date and then store it away. Dont go there with the fears that are real but not reality.
You will be shocked how smooth and streamlined the preop , during the surgery you will know nothing,LOVED my spinal and moderate sedation
Less risky than a GA .
You deserve to reach out for this life altering surgery, I am one month out and say it with all sincerity.
Make your date, come visit us and let us hold your hand!

Hi there,
I had my left total hip replacement surgery on 20th may 2019 and i really wanted to run out of that hospital - run ha ha that would have been a sight to be seen- my surgeon didn't know how I was walking let alone working!!
Any way that fear is all consuming I can only tell you it was no way near as bad as I thought it was going to be( I always have a general with any surgery as i have the athritis in my spine too) so i knew nothing about the actual surgery best for me I think altho i take my hat off to you guys who go thro on a spinal
I am going back in a few weeks to get the right hip replaced as its a mess too and I'll be honest I can't wait I just wanna walk with my young grandkids etc....
I think we're all afraid of the unknown especially if we think its gonna hurt and I'll still be afraid when I go back in for hip no2 just maybe not as afraid with hip no1
I only found this site the night before my op and am so glad i did the information and reassurance has been invaluable to me.
I can honestly say its been an amazing experience so far the awful arthritis pain is gone straight away - so strange after so many years of suffering - I'm too young!!! My worst part is the bedpan situation I managed my pain after surgery on codiene naproxen and paracetamol I didn't feel i needed anything more than this altho the hospital would have provided me with stronger stuff had I needed it. Best to stay on top of your meds after surgery no need to be a hero it will just hold you back the sooner you're up the sooner you can use the loo
I wish I could take some of the fear away from you I wish you successful op and recovery keep coming back here it's really been invaluable for me

Ha, ha @Wobbly49 Some of us are just more long-winded! I am terrible at attempting brevity. But agree with everything you said (although, for me, the prospect of the sedation/spinal was terrifying beforehand and now I am so ashamed of myself for fearing it--it was a breeze). There is no way to relieve anyone's fears beforehand since, in most cases, they are simply irrational thoughts which no amount of "sense" will even touch. But this forum was fabulous for me and so many others, before and after our surgeries, as we're able to openly (and repeatedly) express those fears and anxieties without fear of being laughed at or dismissed. Bonesmart rocks!

Hi, Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us here.
Sorry you're struggling in making a decision. You'll know when the time is right. You'll grow weary of the pain and discomfort and tire of second guessing everything. You're as young as you'll ever be and still have a lot of living to do. Why do it in pain when there's a solution. You won't regret the surgery as it's life changing.

You're not alone in feeling fearful, having reservations and hesitating. You're in good company, we understand, having experienced it ourselves. We'll be here for support whenever you need us.
Wishing you comfort, peace of mind and clarity in making decisions. Stay in touch.
@Funnypug

Hi @Funnypug
Hope all is still on track to get that hip sorted so you can get back to life hip pain free!!!!:egypdance:

Hi @Mojo333 - thank you so much for checking in. I postponed the surgery a couple of times and now it is scheduled for March 31st.
A good thing is that now my hip is that much more painful which makes it easier to realize I "have" to get the the surgery done.
A bad thing is that now my hip is that much more painful which means I have no way out, I have to get the surgery done LOL!
To be honest, I am pretty much depressed about it - I successfully avoided it for so long and have had a good life without it. The surgery is full of so many risks -I'm just trying to be as hopeful as possible now.

Thank you again!

Yes, there are risks to the surgery but there are also so many opportunities. Opportunities to live without pain and be mobile without pain and do things you want to do without considering the hip limitations. It is scary to have surgery and we have all felt that but also try to think of the positives- it kept me from getting too down. The other thing that helped me was prepping for recovery and I have to admit overstocking the house on staples just in case.

Hi @leejaa - thank you!
LOL I was out this weekend looking at recliners and toilet lifters, etc!
So I'm trying to be proactive now.

Hoping for the best at this point....and trying not to read too many of the scary things that some are dealing with....

The ones dealing with scary things tend to write more since they have a longer road to recovery. Overall most of us recover pretty well - slow and steady. Also, many who have recovered well, stop posting since life takes over and there is never enough time. I am about 3 and a half months out so I am still on here especially since I am retired and have more time. After my knees, returning to work took all my energy so did not hang out as long.

Good that you are looking at things to get ready. I know I could not do as much due to the pain so it took longer than normal to prep.

Keep coming here and sharing your concerns. Also, read some of the articles as to what works and what kind of things are helpful. A lot of this is in the articles but also in previous posts in the pre surgery section.

LOL I was out this weekend looking at recliners and toilet lifters, etc!

My hospital stocked handicap supplies, such as the portable toilet seat chair, which insurance covered. I found it much easier to have it close by me at night, especially, rather than walking to the bathroom, in those first two weeks. Many fluids were pumped into me while I was in the hospital.

The recliner helped reduce the acetabular pain after surgery, compared to my bed. I had my recliner early so I learned how to make it more comfortable and how to sleep on my back before going to the hospital.

Glad you are focused on preparation.

@Funnypug I will ask one of the moderators to change your signature to reflect your new surgery date. Also, can you please tell us which hip it is? I just noticed that we don't have that in your signature.

I hope you don't get overly worried while waiting, this is one surgery that the surgeons have really perfected. I am rooting for you!!

@VSlowLife - wow looks like you just had your surgery - I hope your recovery is smooth. Thank you for the advice, especially the idea of sleeping in the recliner a bit before you have to.

@CricketHip - it is my right hip that needs the replacement.
Thank you for the good thoughts!! It means a lot.

@Funnypug I just had LTHR 2 weeks ago. I totally understand your fears, but am pretty sure you will be back after your surgery to reassure others like I am with you.
I kept telling myself that the surgeons know what they are doing. I busied myself making meals and freezing, stocking pantry etc and making sure house was clean and organised. . Also made sure i had books to read, puzzles to do and also bought myself some lovely hand and body cream, lip balm and candles to treat myself at home. Invest in some soft ice packs as you will need them.

My surgery went well (spinal and general) my pain was well managed (originally morphine button then oxycodeine tablets and panadeine) and I was able to toilet and shower 24 hours afterwards when they had removed my drip and catheter.
Recovering at home has been a matter of following the advice of this group. Eg elevating, icing and taking pain meds when needed. Some days have been more uncomfortable than others. But the thing is, I can see and feel an end to this current pain, whereas pre surgery I was like you and experiencing pain that was never going to get any better.
This group will no doubt save your sanity as it has mine. Keep checking in so we can follow your progress.

I can also identify with the fear factor. About a month before my scheduled TKR, I kept asking myself if I really want to do this??? But then the thought of limping around the rest of my life (like I had been) kept me going. I’m 4 weeks out now and my knee is better now than it was before I had the surgery. I can’t wait to replace the other knee! I had a spinal. The anesthesiologist let me choose between General Anesthesia or Spinal, I asked his recommendation and he said the Spinal.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back