THR Terrible muscle pains

I’m so sorry your having such a difficult time. It’s a process and I feel the depression as well. I have not had enough movement but when I do walk I feel tightness in my thigh and it feels heavier. If your getting shooting pain I would contact the OS and ask some advice. He may want to see you sooner if your having a difficult time. I also feel uneven but it’s not as bothersome to me. I have read that muscle tightness can cause a effect of feeling one leg longer. Once the muscles are stronger and more relaxed it might change.
Still major discomfort call the OS. It’s hard for me not to be on my toes because I always walked that way. It’s not safe thing to do when healing from this though you can get off balance and fall.
Rest up lots of ice and hope if you need better pain meds you get them.

I suppose pain is less, it is more discomfort now, but still challenging to walk more than round the house, this tightness and stiffness in the leg still makes walking difficult so can only manage about three quarters of a mile. I spoke to the physio attached to the surgical team and she assured me that my legs are now the same length! She said just to 'take it easy' and she will 'sort it out' when I see her on 28th June. Not quite sure what she means by sort it out but I suppose she will be able to advise me! I was very down yesterday, lonely and cabin fever from being housebound. But today I have had a friend round and my sister is coming back again for a few days early July so that should be fun as hopefully I will be a lot better by then. Life goes on!

Actually, I take that back about pain, very sore and achey now, and feel incredibly tired at 6.25pm, but didn't have my afternoon nap. So tired, do feel as if it will never get better when I feel like this. Wonder if different surgeon was not as good. Maybe rest and sleep will help.

I’m sorry you’re sore, achy and tired, Lesley, but that is to be expected. You’re still very early into recovery at less than a month post op. Also, it’s not even a full year since your Right THR.

I’m sure some days feel more exhausting than others. It’s hard to find a perfect balance early on as a lot depends on how active you feel like being, whether your pain is well managed, what type of mood you‘re in, etc. Missing a nap if it’s become the norm lately will do it!

I wouldn’t question the surgeon’s ability, but instead keep in mind that no two recoveries are alike, even with the same person. I know you’ve probably read that here a hundred times, but it’s a reality that easy to lose sight of when we’re questioning our recovery.

Wondering if it will help the cabin fever to get out for a time each day? Maybe a little shopping, or even a drive. It’s good to hear your sister will be back in a few weeks as something to look forward to. I hope you get some restorative rest tonight and tomorrow is a brighter day for you.
@YogaLesley

Thanks Layla, I live on a steep hill in rural West Wales so can't walk anywhere except down a lane at the moment. Not able to drive yet, so dependent on someone else offering to take me out. I will try and arrange it more and hopefully will be allowed to drive after my checkup on 28th.

I feel your pain literally. I also am experiencing tightness and dull aches in the thigh. I assume it’s muscle that has wasted and not been used for so long.
I have a couple of semi steep hills in my little loop. I made it around on 2 different days with a walker. Now my ankle is swelled and bruised. We will get there though.
The loneliness drives me crazy and I don’t have a useable car atm so I do understand that. My oldest though is coming weekly and this week spending the night. She takes me out to the land of the living. It makes a huge difference to get out.
I hope your soon to be visit gives you a cherry outlook. I know it can be difficult I find mediations help some but there is no substitute for being around people. Try to occupy your mind as best as you can time will go faster. I struggle to most days but know mental health is important for physical health.
If your feeling really down make some posts and let it out.

I feel for you Lesley. I can understand how you would be feeling lonely and suffering from cabin fever, and how that would make your aches and pains and tiredness even harder to bear. You are getting better, even if there are bad days, and all this will pass in time. But it is tough getting through the time.

I am guessing that the physiotherapist’s promise to “sort you out” may mean a massage. My physio went to work on my tight thigh muscles and it really helped ease the pain.

I hope you are able to drive after your appointment. That would make a big difference. In the meantime, hang in there. Hugs from me.

It sounds like a beautiful spot to live in @YogaLesley but definitely kind of lonely too since you can't drive and all. Hopefully like klassy says you can start driving soon and gain some of your independence back. Just knowing I can drive is enough to keep me in a relatively good mood even though some days I don't feel much like venturing out of the house-especially on rainy days.

I find the more I feel better the more I end up doing and also the more the muscles scream at me which is pretty normal. It just seems like an endless cycle of trying to get these muscles working to support the bone that I broke. I end up taking a tylenol or advil here and there and applying ice to feel better.

I am hoping for a better week for you.

Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope today finds you well and feeling at peace…my wish for you. :loveshwr:
Only twelve more days until your appointment. I hope you receive the green light to drive then and the ability to regain some independence. :fingersx:
Have a nice weekend, Lesley.
@YogaLesley

I think I am getting a bit better, walked a mile and a quarter this morning. Gait a bit more even but still not back to normal, tension in buttock muscles. Still very tired and in need of afternoon naps!

Both scars still very sore, despite 8 and a half months difference, wonder if that is normal?

I think I am getting a bit better, walked a mile and a quarter this morning. Gait a bit more even but still not back to normal, tension in buttock muscles. Still very tired and in need of afternoon naps!
That is great news! I walked the farthest I had ever walked since surgery and had my hiking poles with me. They help with the gait for sure especially on the slopier places. Definitely understand about the naps. Why not? Most people in the eastern countries still take daily naps and haven't had surgery lol.

Can't sleep tonight, both legs outer thighs and muscles generally screaming. Perhaps the walk was too much. Also missed out on one of my Tramadol today and maybe not ready for that either. So tired. (4a.m. here)

Sorry to hear that you can't sleep, discomfort will do that. I'm not sure if you've tried this or not, but I found that several shorter walks per day were easier on my soft tissue and muscles and allowed for quicker muscle strength and endurance. I had a goal for the total distance for the day and worked that. We're talking .25 mile walks and less to start and gradually working up. I'm now doing 1 mile twice a day at 9 weeks. If I feel any discomfort that affects my ability to have a painless, slow and easy gait, I stop and rest, get my butt back home and shut it down for that day. Hope you sleep better!

Can't sleep tonight, both legs outer thighs and muscles generally screaming. Perhaps the walk was too much. Also missed out on one of my Tramadol today and maybe not ready for that either. So tired. (4a.m. here)
Hi YogaLesley, am feeling your pain. What about trying ice packs and taking your Tramadol now? Might help calm down the pain and help you catch some sleep.

Sending you hugs from Hong Kong!

Hi Lesley,
With the time difference, it’s afternoon for you and I’m hoping the pain has eased today, and you’re able to catch up on some sleep through a nap. Hopefully ice and your Tramadol has helped. Best wishes for a pain free peaceful weekend.
@YogaLesley

Oh Yes for the Tramadol! And the ice of course-nature's pain killer. I also suggest smaller walks even though you could probably do more just take it slow and gradually add. I have found the muscles hate to be surprised like that:(
Hope you feel better soon.

Sorry I haven't posted for a while. I have good news and bad news. The good news is I had my six week check up on Tuesday and everything is fine. My gait has settled down, I am off the crutches and can now drive! I can walk quite well without support though I still have a lot soreness around my upper thighs and some stiffness in the new joint but it is early days still I guess. The bad news is that, strangely, at almost the same amount of time as after the last hip op, I have had another bleed in my right eye which has caused a pretty significant loss of vision in my right eye, much worse than before. I have had another anti-VEGF injection a week ago and there is some slight improvement but there is till a lot of distortion which is unlikely to disappear I think. It is a bit of a struggle reading and I am very dependent on my left eye so fingers crossed it stays OK. I got pretty depressed about it as I couldn't get an emergency appointment for treatment and it got worse over 10 days, but now there is nothing further I can do I will just have to make the best of things and hope life doesn't throw anything else at me! Does anyone have any suggestions for relieving the soreness around the scar area? Apart from ice of course! Can't really walk around with an ice pack strapped to my leg!

I'm glad you got a chance to post; I've been wondering how you've been doing. Great update on your hip and expanded abilities! I'm sorry to hear about your eye and I hope it clears at least a little bit.
For the surgical wound, my OS told me to massage it with Vitamin E oil. It helped with the aches right there under the skin. When my scar stings, I use a little dab of lidocaine lotion and it numbs it reasonably well.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom