THR Terrible muscle pains

Hi @YogaLesley I also had log leg when I had my hip pinning. Ugh It was very frustrating. It felt like an elephant was sitting on my leg!! They gave me a terry cloth long rope thingie in the hospital to use to slide my leg off the bed to go to the bathroom and I came home with it and used it for the first week. I just left it on the bed. I am also glad to hear they switched your meds. I took tramadol too and I really liked it much better than the hydrocodon. I took tramadol every four hours for a while because I really had over done it but I am 3 months out now and doing only Extra strength tylenol twice a day 12 hours apart so basically two in the morning and two around bedtime. I think thats your paracetamol in England if I'm not mistaken. But you have a ways to go before you switch to over the counter! Try to stay ahead of the pain as much as you can. Glad you are also getting some rest. Your body will heal much better when you can sleep. Hope you feel better everyday.

Have seen physio this morning, got me doing stairs, bed and standing exercises etc, pretty painful but they were happy! Just going to try steps without handrail tomorrow then home Saturday provided BP and bloods stay ok.

Sorry it was painful, Lesley, but it’s great they have you up and moving.
Motion is Lotion, as they say. :wink:
I can’t wait for you to be home and have access to ice. I hope the rest of the day is good.
@YogaLesley

Getting leg on and off bed almost impossible. Have ordered a leg lifter but of course they advised against it! I'd like to see these bright young things do what they are asking at my age with this pain! Really worried about how I will manage at home especially with my sister as she gets annoyed so easily, and then of course, so do I. She always seems to have the monopoly on thinking things are worse for her, wish I could have found someone else to come and help me. Sorry, feeling very grumpy and fed up and miserable generally. :tantrum::headbang:

@YogaLesley sorry to hear you're having such a rough start. Happy that your change to Tramadol suits you better. I personally hate Oxycodone as well and felt much better once I got the OS to change it.

Hoping you and your sister get along so that you can get some rest and sleep. I'm thinking the leg lifter will probably help you once you get it and icing and elevating once you're home will be very helpful. I'm always grumpy and miserable if I'm held hostage at the hospital. I seem to not have the best of luck when having to stay overnight. :nah:

@YogaLesley Maybe they saw your unbelievable physique due to the amount of yoga that you do and thought this chick can do this!! But I can hear how upset you are so hopefully once you get home you can ice and rest and relax a bit. Hopefully your sister will be in care giving mode and help you. I don't have any sisters but I do have two daughters who love each other but also sometimes get on each others nerves :) Its okay to feel grumpy and annoyed right now. You just had major surgery. If there's a time to feel grumpy now is it.

Grumpy and miserable are understandable. Most of us dislike being uncomfortable, in pain and feeling needy.

Just a couple more days and you can misbehave in the privacy of your own home with you leg lifter and ice. Both will make your life easier. :yes!::ice:

In an effort to have an enjoyable time while your sister is visiting, consider agreeing on ground rules, unless she’d find that offensive. Some siblings can talk / joke about what causes friction between them, others can’t. Maybe you can agree to avoid all hot button topics and if either feels they’re getting annoyed with the other, separate.

Consider planning the trip to Ireland you two may be taking together. Or reminisce while looking through old photos. Make some popcorn and watch a movie or Netflix series, take turns doing a crossword puzzle together, play an online game or easy game of cards. Make ice cream sundaes, or a root beer float to enjoy while you play a board game, even if you can’t sit for very long. It sounds like you’ll be one week post op only two days after she arrives. You may discover after a couple of days with her that you’ll do fine on your own and decide to cut her loose. Make the best of it, you’ll probably miss her when she leaves for home. You’ve both had a rough few months grieving your losses. Hugs :console2:

Thanks again all of you, it all rings true. Layla, good ideas, we always loved playing games as kids, mind you, she is very competitive, fortunately I don't mind if I win or lose! :heehee: I also have lots of recorded TV programmes especially music ones that I want to share with my sister, we grew up in the 50s and 60s (big Beatles fans, used to go to the Cavern in Liverpool!) so I guess it will be fine really. It will be good to get home and, as you say, break a few rules, plenty of ice packs and probably ice cream too and maybe a little drink if I get off the opioids! :martini::friends:

Have you seen the Beatles?
Many times, for me mainly lunchtime sessions at the Cavern, before they made records as well as after. My sister and cousin were bigger fans than I was! George's dad worked on the buses with my cousin's dad. Jean and Sheila (sister and cousin) used to go to Paul's house to say goodbye before they went to Hamburg! Many many stories!! Home tomorrow morning.

Great news they’re discharging you tomorrow! I think you’ll be so much more comfortable at home.

Oh my goodness, the Beatles memories you must have. I’ll bet you never imagined the worldwide success they would enjoy, then again, maybe you weren’t surprised.
I‘ve never seen them. However, I did see Paul McCartney and Wings back in the day. It felt explosive. Light / bright, loud. One of those concerts where they played hit after hit, Wings hits as well as Beatles hits and had the majority in the venue on their feet the entire time. Quite memorable and this was back in…1976?

Hope you sleep well tonight in anticipation of going home tomorrow.
Safe travels home!
@YogaLesley

Oh my, just catching up and sorry to see you had a rough beginning...
Hope you feel better When you can get home today.:friends:

Home now. Unfortunately they would not give me Tramadol which has really been helping me. Instead they have given me co codamol and naproxen. I said I didn't want to take co codamol because of stomach and constipation problems and since coming home have juat had paracetamol and Ibuprofen. But I don't think it will be enough pain relief just yet. I am wondering whether to give the Naproxen a try? Any thoughts?

Hi @YogaLesley glad you made it home! Is your sister with you? I hope you feel more comfortable now that you are in your own bed even though I am sure its still painful and uncomfortable. I have'nt taken Naproxen. I take Mobic which is similar but I find that its an anti-inflamatory and not that effective for pain so I take it at night before bed along with two extra strength tylenol which is your paracetamol but I am already three months post op and you are just getting home. I don't think that it will be enough straight away to take your pain away but you're the best judge. Too bad about the Tramadol because that really works for me and quickly. I hope you have a good restful night in your own bed.

You were right Snoopy, simply not enough! In absolute agony last night and this morning after spending a few hours sitting in a chair - really really uncomfortable. I have found I still have some Tramacet (combination of Tramadol and paracetamol) sohave just taken 2 at 7am. I noticed when I sit the knee of my operated leg is well forward so reckon my pelvis must be skewed, as they assured me that the legs are the same length now. This pain is completely different from before. Incredible stiffness into hip joint and cramplike muscle pain down front of thigh. Moving the leg to the side to get out of bed or just lying or sitting with it straight is agony. Yet ok standing or walking. Certainly no improvement, much worse than in hospital but I was in car for one hour coming home and sitting a long time - definitely not good for me. I am no sure how I can manage to elevate anywhere. Have been using icepacks but not huge relief- it is like muscles spasming. Hope Tramacet will kick in soon.

Hi Yoga Lesley,
It's horrible to have so much pain and I hope Tramacet is taking the edge off it and you can get a bit of relief.
You'll have a number to ring at the hosp, maybe ask them what's best as pain is worse than when you were there? Or GP?

Sending my best wishes and hopefully in a few days things will have settled down once your medication is adjusted.

I am so sorry @YogaLesley. I found that I still have to place one pillow under my operated leg at night to be comfortable in bed and once I transitioned to sleeping on non operated side with the pillow right in the middle of my knees. Can you believe I still can't sleep without the pillow and its been 14 weeks.

Anyway I agree with Reanda that you may want to call your doctor and tell them what the pain level is so that you can be comfortable. According to Bone Smart when you're in pain your body doesn't heal as quickly. Hopefully by next Sunday (I know that sounds like a long time) you will be more comfortable in general. These first few days post op are just so hard! If you need to vent we are here!

Yesterday I had to take a tramadol myself after being off it for at least a month because I went out for breakfast and then walked around a clothing store and had myself a retail therapy day but had to stand in the line for check out for 20 minutes. Then proceeded to go to a cafe and sit for more than 2 hours outside (had to get ice in a cup and put it under my dress on my hip and passerbys were like "lady what the heck is going on under there!" Anyway came home and iced and took that tramadol so fast and finally was able to breath.

I’m sorry you’re off to a rough start at home, Lesley. I do think you need to let your OS know that the meds prescribed are not working effectively enough. If you don’t get any satisfaction from him, consider contacting your PCP. You need the pain controlled enough to be comfortably mobile and also to get some restorative rest. Wishing you a peaceful rest of the day.
@YogaLesley

I have spoken to my surgery today but they too are reluctant to prescribe Tramadol (which worked fine for me in hospital). It is so annoying because I can take paracetamol separately with it and not take Tramadol if I don't need it, unlike Tramacet which already includes paracetamol. Same with Co codamol which includes paracetamol and they want me to take, anyway codeine just doesn't relieve my pain anyway and makes me constipated. In addition, I have spent hours on the phone today trying to get some help for next week when I am alone. Big problems are getting things up and downstairs with crutches (I am thinking a rucksack might help) but there is a 20cm (8inch) step from my living room into my galley kitchen which has no eating area and no idea how I can transport food and drink to my chair whilst still partially weight bearing with both crutches. I feel totally dispirited and exhausted.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back