THR Terrible muscle pains

@YogaLesley

It bothers me that your incision is hot. Is it also red?

Mine stings sometimes (I'm at 4 weeks). I've done some gentle, circular massage per my PT, just to make sure nothing is getting stuck.

As for the other hip, it's probably being relied upon a lot more than before so it's flaring up. I think that's common; it was the same for me.

Hi YogaLesley, I hope you enjoyed the weekend.

Incision is very troubling, hot and stinging.

I haven't actually tried massaging the scar area yet although gentle stroking seems to help. It has healed extremely well to look at, you can hardly notice it already, it's the sensations underneath and around that have started calling out in the last couple of weeks

Wondering if you mentioned this at your last appointment, also curious whether it was checked and if so what your surgeon had to say about it? Tenderness at this point seems normal to me, but if the incision area feeling hot and causing discomfort is a new development, I think you should at the very least ask if you can forward a photo of your scar to be viewed by your OS for your reassurance.

I hope you have a nice week, Lesley.

Bit of a shock /surprise today. Phone call from hospital, pre-op for left hip in 2 weeks (they wanted to do it next week but we are away!) with a view to left THR end of January probably! I suppose I will be 7 more weeks along by then so, right one should be better and at least I will be getting it all over quickly! Apparently surgeon pushed me forward as urgent, and last couple of nights left leg has been bad, so all to the good I guess!

By the way scar doesn't look red or angry at all, just feels hot and stings quite a lot.

Hi Lesley,
If the heat you mentioned is a new development, as a precaution, consider asking your surgeon or member of his care team about it because an incision that is hot to the touch can be a sign of infection and you’d rather be safe, than sorry.

If you’d like to share your new surgery date when you have it we’ll edit your signature to reflect that info.
Thanks and have a great Tuesday!
@YogaLesley

Since I last posted I spent 3 days meeting up with sister and brother in law in North Wales and generally having an early Christmas which was lovely but a little tiring for me keeping going all day and evenings too! I did excuse myself once for an afternoon nap! Anyway apart from that I had been aware of a growing sense of soreness and heat not only from the scar but also down the front of the thigh and into the hip and buttock area. I rang my surgeon and he said to come in and have blood etc tested, which I did yesterday. Bloods, blood pressure, temperature normal. Unfortunately surgeon was not available and I saw his monosyllabic assistant who moved my leg around and pronounced everything normal! So I have this constant aching in the leg and wonder if perhaps I have been taking the advice not to overdo it too far and in fact need to do MORE exercise?! Strengthen the muscles? What do you think.? It is 11 weeks since operation and I feel I shouldn't be still in so much discomfort? And the admissions team rang last week and asked if I could come in for my left hip to be done on December 29th but I said no it felt too soon, I don't feel I can rely on the right leg yet. (Although maybe some of the problem stems from different leg length, compensation etc?) So said I would rather wait until my next check up on January 17th. Of course I am wondering now if I have made the right decision?! So many questions and doubts! I am usually a lot clearer but just need some perspective! Can anyone help me?

@YogaLesley

Sorry you are still in pain!

Glad your blood work showed no infection.

Surgeons are largely concerned with the hardware, so the assistant just checked to make sure the joint is moving properly. So I their eyes, it's fine.

Does the pain feel like sore muscles? Is it burning? Stabbing? Is it continuous or does it come and go? Are you completely off any pain medication?

I know that with my first THR, I had all sorts of pains pop up periodically. It seemed like one group of muscles would get accustomed to the new way of walking, and another group would wake up and start complaining. I had nerve damage (significant complication that delayed my healing) and I still have muscles waking up a year and a half later.

The different leg lengths and compensations would definitely play a role in your muscles shifting and taking on weight as things heal.

I hope this helps a bit. I'm sorry I don't know more.

Thanks @Schaargi. It doesn't feel like sore muscles now. It is more burning and stabbing pains, sometimes it feels like someone is cutting me with a knife (I know they did but odd to feel this now!) - it is so sharp and searing. Very sensitive nerve endings perhaps. It has been around for a week or so now, sometimes more severe than others. Also front of thigh hurts when I put weight on it. I am taking paracetamol and occasional ibuprofen in the day but have had to go back to Tramadol and now 10mg Amitryptaline at night to get to sleep plus ice packs operated side and hot water bottle the other. I am thinking I may need to go back on stronger painkillers in the day too. Nothing seems to be changing even though I have had couple of days complete rest. It's a conundrum.

Hi there Yoga Lesley,
I’m sorry you’re still struggling with discomfort and uncertainty as to the origin of your pain.
Looking back over your thread I’d suggest you go back beginning with post number 88 and read the responses from Staff Member, Jaycey. It‘s only been 18 days since it seems you ramped up physical activity in the form of exercise, increased walking, bending and the lifting of the heavy pot. Once you’ve irritated muscles and tissue it can take weeks to recover. I’d suggest you take it easy for a couple weeks, at least, or until the pain you describe resolves. Try ice, heat, rest and OTC pain relievers as needed. If it doesn’t bring relief, consider trying to schedule an appointment earlier than January 17th to speak with your surgeon about it.

Fingers crossed that a little TLC brings you comfort and speedy relief.
Please stay in touch and let us know how you’re doing. We do care. :console2:
@YogaLesley

:)Thanks so much Layla for your good advice and reassurance as always. This forum, its advisers and all the members are such a blessing, a human voice of understanding in a world concerned mainly with, as @Schaargi put it so well, the 'hardware'! So often all we need is a little reassurance and common sense (maybe that is a good definition for wisdom?!) Sending love and thanks to you all. X

My beloved partner Michael of 28 years died very suddenly on December 19th 2 days after his 63rd birthday which he spent happily and dancing. Unbelievable shock and heartbreaking. Have cancelled pre-op for other hip and can't even think about it. Regret being so self absorbed by my hip issues. He was the kindest best carer for me anyone could wish for. I am so heartbroken don't know when I shall post again. I hope you have all had joy and happiness this Christmas. Xxx

@YogaLesley My sincerest condolances on the loss of your partner! Such a tough time for many - but I appreciate the shock and heart ache. I do hope the happy memories soon take over what I know is a very painful time. Please take care of yourself! :console2:

oh, @YogaLesley
Heartbreaking to hear this.
Sending Prayers for you :praying:

@YogaLesley I am so sorry for your loss. Wish I could reach out and give you a hug. My heart goes out to you and sending my prayers, as well.

YogaLesley, please accept my condolences on your tragic loss. I hope you find some peace in the coming days.

Aww, this is heartbreaking, Lesley. I’m so very sorry. Sending love and a warm hug along with prayers for peace and comfort. :console2:

Oh my word, I’m so sorry. Thankfully you’re able to be with others. May you all fare well and have speedy recoveries. :console2:

@YogaLesley just to let you know that you have been in my thoughts. Glad that at least you can be with family.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
corvettejanie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom