THR Teri's Recovery-Hip #2

Good luck tomorrow and let us know how your surgery goes! Warm wishes for a speedy recovery and we'll see you on here soon!

All the best tomorrow @Bfam85 ! See you on this side soon. I'll leave your recovery articles here for you to refer to if needed.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Best of luck to you tomorrow.
We'll look forward to hearing from you once you're ready to join us here.
It's going to be a great Summer! :happydance::yes!:
@Bfam85

Here you are, Teri!! Wishing you sweet and peaceful dreams tonight and I will be watching this page for any updates when you are ready to check in. :prayer: :ice: :console2:

Bye bye hip pain.:yes!:
Wishing you all the best today!:tada:

Wishing you all the best! If things went to schedule you are probably just getting to recovery. Let us know how it went when you feel up to it.
:flwrysmile:

Hello friends! I made it through with flying colors! I am in my room getting the best care from the nursing staff...lots of iv antibiotics and some OxyContin and tramadol and Tylenol....Soooooo glad it’s over and healing can begin.....had the shakes this time with a low temperature but it resolved after some warm blankets were placed on me... no drain like last time... I was able to stand and then later walk to bathroom with minimal pain .....legs aren’t even but my hubby says that happened last time. So thankful for Bonesmart - what an amazing community....Time to close my eyes Thank you all for your encouraging and kind words.

Hi Teri! You sound great!! Terrific, even!
I get the shakes after surgeries, also.
With my first hip I continued to have them for a couple weeks post op.
I hope yours are over and done with and that you’re sleeping like a sweet little double hippie bionic baby!!
Congrats!!!:loveshwr::yay::flwrysmile::cheers:

It sounds like you have through very well indeed and already up to the bathroom! Well done!! I love those warm sheets at hospital and still wrap myself in a flannel when feeling a bit tough. :)

Hi Teri,
Congratulations on hip number 2. It sounds to me that you are doing really well. I remember shaking with the cold in recovery and being so grateful for the extra blankets included a foil space type one to warm me up.
I will follow your progress in recovery.

Stopping by to say :hi: Teri
I hope you've done well over the past couple of days.
Assuming you're probably settled in at home by now and with any luck your pain is minimal and well managed. We'll be here for support and encouragement anytime you need us. Please don't be a stranger.
Wishing you comfort as you begin your healing journey.
@Bfam85

I am so happy (and grateful) to have so many wonderful people writing on my thread. @Layla I am in day 3 of my journey, and as of now, I am still experimenting with my meds....Tramadol was making me nauseated. So I am sticking to the Oxycodone/acetaminophen 5/325 mg, 4-6 times per day plus 2 aspirins/day....I hope to get the "Pain" under control....It technically isn't pain, but more like extreme tightness, soreness, etc. I don't remember it being like this with my last hip replacement....I am needing the walker and I didn't need a walker from Day 2 last hip...The good thing is that when I am sitting or in bed, I am fine. So, I will be thankful for that! Thanks for checking up on me :flwrysmile:

As unappealing as it may sound....please consider icing if you're not already.
I believe it will help with swelling and the pain. Not needing the walker after day two on your first THR is incredible, but certainly not the norm. I hope your evening is a peaceful one. :)
@Bfam85

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member