TKR Tennisboii's Recovery Thread

5 days since surgery, pretty sure they are under medicating me since poop fairy came faster than usual. All this fear of narcotics by drs, makes us patients suffer more. Such a broken system. I put PT on hold for a week, just WAY WAY to swollen, it would be a waste of visits, and I still got left knee to do in sept. Anyone else put off PT, till it’s actually useful?

@Tennisboii, I moved your post from Rockgirl4's thread. You should ask questions like this on your own thread so you can easily find it.

If you have any questions about medication, you should contact your doctor. As far as putting off PT, that's no problem. Your knee needs to heal before worrying about PT. Once your swelling goes down you will be able to bend it better without such awful pain.

Anyone else put off PT, till it’s actually useful?
It's a good idea to postpone PT until your knee is calmer. Doing that should decrease your pain, too.

Your knee doesn't need much exercise this early in recovery. All it needs is the exercise it will get as you walk around your house. And keep using your walker. Walking with just a stick is putting too much strain on your new knee. It isn't healed enough for that yet.

You won't develop bad scar tissue (adhesions) if you stop PT. You're more likely to develop those if you continue to overwork your knee.

My surgeon doesn't allow any formal PT at all for the first month after a knee replacement. He says your knee needs that time, to start on its journey of healing. For that month, we rest, ice and elevate our leg, and walk around the house. The walking is our exercise and we increase it a little each week.

After that month, we just go to PT once every 2 weeks, where we are shown a few new exercises to do at home each day.

His patients all do well and achieve good ROM, as I did, and he hasn't had to do a manipulation to help with ROM for the past 4 years. I think that speaks for itself.

I have had 3 knee replacements and I followed my surgeon's protocol each time. I had (and still have) no problems with my knees.

I didn't do any PT until 3 wks post-op, and even then it was simple PT with no forcing the knee to straighten or bend...and NO weights. It was mostly massage of my thigh/shins/IT band, and some balance work, as I was 100% dependent on the walker 24/7 still. My surgeon was strict about light, easy PT and even gives some patients the choice as to whether to do it at all. I chose to.. simply because I always have soft tissue problems like a tight/sore IT band.

Just remember it's not a race, don't compare yourself to others, and don't think you're a wimp. This is MAJOR surgery and it's like no other athletic injury surgery. The recovery is completely different, and TIME is your best friend. :)

Great info guys, I forced myself onto a cane after 2 dys and it is very painful. I have gone back to the walker and I plan on using it a long time so my knee vN heal itself, all, I’m doing is stressing it. Thanks for the info guys!

Forcing yourself to use the cane would certainly give you the pain and swelling you're talking about. Continue with your meds on schedule. Ice and elevate as much as possible as described in the articles left for you earlier. Gentle bends and stretches several times a day along with some walking around the house every couple of hours. You may need to do this consistently for up to a couple of weeks before you see improvements. Try not to be impatient.....I know it's difficult sometimes.

@Tennisboli, you'll know when to go to a cane. If you try and feel the need to go back to walker then go back, no problem. All along this process your knee will let you know when you're doing too much, trust me

It’s a much slower recovery than you expect... but in the long run, it’s a blip in time! You’ll be back on the court and winning points before you know it! Hang in there!

I ordered an ice water cooler machine I had about 15 years ago with my first ACL operation. I’m told this will help quite a bit with my knee replacement pain recovery. Anyone else used them?

I have one and it’s great! A tip... instead of ice, I put frozen water bottles in mine. So much easier! My machine fits 3 bottles (plus water) so we have 6 water bottles in the freezer and just swap out. Fast and easy!

They are very popular and give you consistent cooling to your knee. Be sure not to place the cooling pad directly on your skin. Sweat pants or a kitchen towel in between the pad and your knee should do the trick.

Great tip. I’ll make sure to use a towel between the skin and pads

That way you can ice as long as you wish with no risk of frostbite.

Hi everybody. Got my dressing over the staples removed. They said it looks great. Got my drugs bumped up but omg leg hurts more now. I’m told the first two weeks are the worse? I am hoping once these staples come out it doesn’t hurt as much so much long? Thanks to the moderator for the sleeping article. It’s a crazy long night every night.

Your knee will be more comfortable once the staples are removed. They are not usually a cause for actual pain, other than maybe some surface tightness when you bend your knee. Get on a good schedule with whatever new meds were prescribed and hopefully your pain will lessen. Start with the maximum dose you were prescribed until things are better.

What are your meds and schedule now - both prescription and over the counter meds?

10 oxy,every 4 hours,tylenol,extra strength. Every 6 Hours, and a muscle relaxer.

Sounds good. Stay on this schedule and you should notice improvements.

Boredom has settled in all I do is sleep,excersise, ice and watch tv. 4 classes next semester since I can’t work. So sept-mid dec will be busy with that, I can’t wait for 1-2 years from now when it’ll be just no arthritis pain like it has for so long. How do I keep myself from going crazy, and day drinking! In a few months. Ughhhhh

Is there anything I can do to help with the itchyness and numb feelings around the incision site?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom