THR Tennis after posterior THR

Jenalynn

Country
United States United States
I had a posterior total hip replacement a little over two years ago. Prior to hip replacement, I was very active. I had hip dysplasia and had to have it replaced at age 48. I started playing doubles tennis about 6 months ago. It suddenly started hurting just last week after playing tennis. Has anyone else had issues with their new hip hurting after activity? I walk 2 miles a day, do spin class twice a week, do the stair master sometimes and those activities do not hurt. Curious to know if anyone else has ever played tennis after hip replacement?

I know a few people who have returned to tennis after THR. They aren't Bonesmart members, unfortunately. I think @otisbeagle plays tennis too. Are you playing singles or doubles?

Hi Jenalyn,
Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us.

I'm sorry you're struggling with pain. If you've been playing tennis for six months and it just began hurting, one would assume you pulled or overstretched something while playing. Consider stepping away from tennis and workouts until it dissipates, taking OTC pain relievers as directed / needed. If it doesn't ease, call the office of your OS and let them decide whether you should schedule an appointment.

Please share your surgery date below and which hip was replaced. The information will be applied as your signature. Stop back and let us know how you're doing. We can involve the forum nurse at some point if you're interested.
Wishing you comfort and speedy relief.
@Jenalynn

@Jenalynn, sorry you're having this sudden pain. Plenty of people play tennis after hip replacement, singles and doubles.

Assuming the pain is not excruciating, might not be a bad idea to meet with a physical therapist. It's possible you have some muscular imbalance that is leading to the pain. You can describe your pain to the PT and describe as well when it happens (with tennis). I'm guessing here, but wouldn't surprise me if there was some muscle involved in lateral movement that is weak, most likely not just from the surgery (though that can play a role) but also from before the surgery.

At two years, you are certainly are healed enough to benefit from PT. Picking a good one is the key. Good luck.

Thanks for all the feedback. I should note that prior to surgery I did not play tennis. I started taking tennis lessons 6 months ago thinking it would give me a different mode of physical activity that I would be able to do with my new hip. Last week was my first “real” tennis match, so maybe I just overdid it and my muscles were sore. All the aerobic activity of bouncing around on that leg is probably something I just wasn’t used to, at least I hope!

My surgery date was 4/13/2017. I had posterior total hip replacement on my right hip due to hip dysplasia.

I should note that prior to surgery I did not play tennis.
Well you have answered your own question. I found my new hips never liked any "new" activity. You need to ease into anything new and give that new hip a chance to strengthen. The running, pivoting and lunging you do when you play tennis is a lot to ask for a new hip. Perhaps work with a trainer to strengthen a bit more before going at it full speed.

:hi: Happy Saturday to you.
Thanks for clarifying and providing dates. Sounds like you've landed in the ODIC (Over Did It Club) as we refer to it here. Hopefully with some TLC and a gradual progression back into the game, you won't feel like you're missing out too much. Hope you feel better soon. :console2:
@Jenalynn

I used to be a tennis player, but haven't in about 8 years, it was just getting too hard on my body so I would imagine that after a THR it can be really hard, depending on how you play the game. I wasn't a great doubles player, so my game involved a lot of running and lots of sudden stops, which could cause muscle strain. You also need to be very careful about your form. I know I see tons of people playing tennis at all ages, but I just feel doubtful that I will ever be able to get back to tennis. I will be looking into starting pickleball instead.....makes me feel very OLD as its a huge hit in retirement communities, but boy does it look fun and so much less stress on your body.

Tennis is not a controlled activity like spinning or walking. Things can get pulled and tweaked. If you are loving tennis, I would just continue to work on your net/volley game, enjoy the court and the friendships, and just be mindful and maybe let a few balls go that woulds take a lot of extra effort to get to. I wish you the best! I have such fond memories of being out on the tennis court!

It's been a while since I've been on this post, but to provide update, I've been playing tennis now for several months. I don't have any more pains at all. I'm playing doubles about twice a week and my hip feels fine. I also walk several miles a few times a week, do the stairmaster and cycle class at the gym too. So I did answer my own question earlier. I just needed to build up muscle surrounding the hip and leg a bit more and take it easy while starting to play tennis, as with beginning any new activity! :)

I’m curious if you are playing any singles tennis?
I had a THR approx 4 weeks ago and am dying to play. Unfortunately my doctor stated that I should play doubles from now on but that’s not what I enjoy.

@Phoenix1 - It's been 2.5 years since Jenalynn last posted. I don't think she'll respond.

It's pretty common for surgeons to advise against playing singles tennis, although doubles is often allowed.
The reason why singles is not advisable is because of the amount of fast, twisting movements you sometimes have to make in singles. Replaced joints don't like that twisting.

That is very, very unfortunate. Thank you for responding. This stinks!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom