THR Temp disabled person placard

Thanks for bringing up the disabled placards, it is a good reminder to ask for one before surgery. I found the temporary placards very helpful during recovery.

You will notice I merged your most recent post with your recovery thread. Keeping your information in one place created a diary for you, and allows us to easily look through your posts before addressing your questions and concerns.
Thanks for understanding,
Chris

Walking was my PT so I didn't go for a parking permit. The best walking for me was in the parking lot of the store and around the store using a shopping cart to steady myself and practice walking.

@Rusteee, I did not get one for my hips and I did not really feel the need. I was walking 2 miles at 2.5 weeks post-op. If it takes any amount of time to get the placard, you may not need it when it arrives.

@Rusteee, I did not get one for my hips and I did not really feel the need. I was walking 2 miles at 2.5 weeks post-op. If it takes any amount of time to get the placard, you may not need it when it arrives.
2 miles by Thursday? I've got some work to do lol. I'm using a cane around the house

Walking was my PT so I didn't go for a parking permit. The best walking for me was in the parking lot of the store and around the store using a shopping cart to steady myself and practice walking.
Yea, that makes sense. Thanks

Thanks for bringing up the disabled placards, it is a good reminder to ask for one before surgery. I found the temporary placards very helpful during recovery.

You will notice I merged your most recent post with your recovery thread. Keeping your information in one place created a diary for you, and allows us to easily look through your posts before addressing your questions and concerns.
Thanks for understanding,
Chris
Thank you. After I posted this new thread, I read that only one thread per person in the recovery area. Sorry.

I asked my OS about one, and he told me I'd be "running laps" by the time the placard arrived. Well...no. Not sure why he laughed off the notion, but when or if I have a 2nd THR, I'll demand one. More than a few times, I had to stop and rest in large crowded parking lots.

Doesn't hurt to get one just in case one day you feel you need it. We all have days we feel we aren't as strong as others.
I park as far away from store as possible for a couple of reasons, to get the exercise and not have other cars on top of me when I try to leave! And I like to pull in to straight forward spot so no backing up required, I'm world's worst backer upper!

I had about a 3 month wait until my surgery so asked for the handicapped placard to help with the wait. What a wonderful aid to have!

Here in Kansas when you go to get your handicapped placard, it's given to you right away....no waiting for the mail. They can be helpful at times and I'd say it's better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and be without one. They usually are pretty easy to get for post-op (your GP can give you the signed form), especially for those over the age of 70.

You’re not going to wish that you _didn’t_ have it!

Idk where you live but in California it was $6, a stamp, and some paperwork. Money well spent. Hope it’s as cost effective wherever you are.

Here's a tip for learning how to walk properly again. Park at the spots furthest from the store near a cart corral that has a cart. Use the cart as a walker to get to and around the store practicing proper gait. Then when you return to your car you're right next to the cart corral.

As someone who tends to run on the late side, the disabled parking was a godsend when I didn’t have much time to make my (slow and careful) way from the parking lot to the appointment!

Here's a tip for learning how to walk properly again. Park at the spots furthest from the store near a cart corral that has a cart. Use the cart as a walker to get to and around the store practicing proper gait. Then when you return to your car you're right next to the cart corral.
It would take months to build my acetabular component and walking was painful but I was tired of not picking out my own groceries. I decided I'd use the shopping cart as a walker. Piece of cake, right? I worked my way towards the back of the store and realized I was in too much pain to go on. With tears rolling down my cheek I seriously considered going to the camping section and crawling into a tent......search and rescue would eventually find me. Lol. I swear it was at least 20 miles back to the front. I went back to using Instacart for my groceries.

That's a great idea. Dr. still wants me using my walker. I take small trips to store each day with my wife after she gets home from work. I do listen to my dr., but in this case, I've been using my cane, not walker. A cart could be used instead of my walker. I just can't bring myself to use the walker in public lol. I know....

I just can't bring myself to use the walker in public lol. I know....
Haha...I get it. I despised the walker and while they're a wonderful assistive device, thankfully serving a purpose when we need it, if anything made me feel beyond my years it was the walker. Eman's shopping cart tip is a great one. I hope you have a nice weekend!

I just can't bring myself to use the walker in public lol. I know....
Haha...I get it. I despised the walker and while they're a wonderful assistive device, thankfully serving a purpose when we need it, if anything made me feel beyond my years it was the walker. Eman's shopping cart tip is a great one. I hope you have a nice weekend!
Thank you. Dr. stated by next week, use the cane. I have been using the walker around the house and very short walks outside, so I don't want to sound like I'm completely disregarding my Dr.:)

Absolutely! Get the card! I think there are some folks out there who might be resistant for reasons of vanity. To use a word that appears above: hogwash!
you've gone thru surgery, you'll be going through recovery for quite some time - be good to yourself! Make life easy where you can - there are enough challenges you'll have on your plate for a while. And if you are in a winter clime - well, 'nuff said!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back