THR Temp disabled person placard

Rusteee

Country
United States United States
Hi. I've read a lot of great info on here. First post. I didn't see anyone saying that their knee started hurting. I seem to be healing up great, walking with a walker around the house. A couple of walks outside. I did use a cane one day. Probably a bad idea. Anyway, on day 8, my left knee (same side as my hip replacement) started hurting. Iced it. Felt better. Took walk outside with walker today (50 steps) and it is hurting again. I did limp for a year or so prior to surgery - yea, I put it off lol. I assume this is temp. I have a dressing change/check-up this Tuesday. Any thoughts? Thanks

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!
Please leave the exact date of your surgery so we're able to create a signature for you.

Many complain of a sore knee post op. I did myself. The reason most often is because the knee can be manipulated rather aggressively during the dislocation process. We recommend you ice your knee right along with your hip and any other area that is causing discomfort or pain. Another reason your knee, or knees, may be hurting is because our gait changes as our natural hip deteriorates and then changes once again as our body adjusts to the prosthetic. There is a possibility bruising will still show up, it happened to me in the area of my knee over two weeks post op.

I will leave our Recovery Guidelines below along with best wishes as you continue healing. Stop by often with updates, we'd love to follow your progress. :)

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thanks. That all makes sense. I will try not to stress over it.
My hip replacement was Jan 9. 2023

Thanks for the date and please don't stress over it. You don't need to.

Thanks. That all makes sense. I will try not to stress over it.
My hip replacement was Jan 9. 2023
Hi Rusteee, my op (RTHR - second hip) was 10th Jan so I'm one day behind you. I'm getting all sorts of mild to moderate pain/discomfort in my operated lower leg / knee / thigh, all very variable and seems to be muscles trying to cope with altered movement. These aches and pains mostly respond to the pain killers and icing. One particular area seems to be alongside the shin and linked to my difficulty in arranging my foot & ankle (flexed? pointed? rotated?) when my leg is out straight - particularly in bed at night. Pre-op this time, and with the previous hip, much of the pain was outer thigh and knees to the point that we originally thought my knees were the problem. In reality, the pain was soft tissue (muscles, tendons) and due to my altered gait, unconsciously trying to spare the hips.
Trust all will improve for us as we progress. Take it easy and avoid the too much too soon club.

I have knee pain I’m 5 weeks out from surgery. I had knee problem before surgery and already had to get cortisone shots in it. But since the surgery it is 10 times worse. However they twisted my knee made my problem so bad I can hardly walk some days because of this. I’ve been icing. Using Voltaren cbd cream and arnica cream. I will be able to get a steroid shot next week at my 6 week checkup. It’s bad to have your hip fixed and still not be able to walk bc of your knee. I will prob get the knee replacement next year or end of this year. This is my third straight year wirh a major surgery. I want to have a year without one. I would just treat it like everyone has said and not worry to much about it

In reality, the pain was soft tissue (muscles, tendons) and due to my altered gait, unconsciously trying to spare the hips.
Yes, this seems the likely cause for me. I was limping for over a year prior to surgery. So, I'm sure my left hip/leg needs time to adjust. Regarding doing too much...all I heard from ppl at work prior to surgery was how great relatives did and that they needed no pain meds or back at work in a.couple of weeks or some other unrealistic recovery. So, thats always in the back of my mind. But, I am taking it easy. Thanks

I have knee pain I’m 5 weeks out from surgery. I had knee problem before surgery and already had to get cortisone shots in it. But since the surgery it is 10 times worse. However they twisted my knee made my problem so bad I can hardly walk some days because of this. I’ve been icing. Using Voltaren cbd cream and arnica cream. I will be able to get a steroid shot next week at my 6 week checkup. It’s bad to have your hip fixed and still not be able to walk bc of your knee. I will prob get the knee replacement next year or end of this year. This is my third straight year wirh a major surgery. I want to have a year without one. I would just treat it like everyone has said and not worry to much about it
Hi. It must be annoying to have hip replacement surgery, only to have worsening problems with your knee. Ugh. Sorry to hear that. I hope the shots will relieve some pain. Thanks for the info

I experienced knee pain after my surgery, I guess they really twist you in many directions during surgery. I remember saying my hip felt ok but my knee was very sore but it did resolve itself.
Welcome to bonesmart, you have found a great group of folks here.

I'd say a majority of us have knee pain post op. If you look at the muscle groups surrounding the hip you'll see there are muscles from your back to your knee and they are manipulated during the procedure. It seems they like to sound their alarm at the knee when we do too much. My knees would have pain just above the knee cap and sometimes would have a burning sensation.

Thank you, everyone. I guess I'm completely normal. Too bad my Dr. or my post op directions didn't even mention knee pain
Now, I just need to stop thinking about all those who told me how quickly their relatives recovered after surgery. I was told things like, "my father was back to work in a couple of weeks" or "my uncle felt great and didn't need any pain meds". Hogwash lol. I don't believe any of it

@Rusteee , I think all of us here got reeeee-ally tired of hearing the stories of people who climbed Everest four days post-op. I'm ashamed to say that I allowed their tales to undermine my confidence. Finally it dawned on me that my recovery wasn't any of their business, so I'd just make their recovery no business of mine unless they were members of bonesmart. :loll:

@Rusteee Hogwash is absolutely correct! Most likely those stories are someone mishearing ... or like a game of "Telephone" it came from a friend's neighbor's 3rd husband's great aunt. Either that or yes the person in question did do that thing ... and ended up in the ODIC (Over Did It Club) and practically back to first day after surgery.

If you keep in mind that hip replacement is (as one long time person here quipped) about 50% surgery and 50% carpentry, the odd aches and pains from more distant parts of your body will make more sense.

@Rusteee , I think all of us here got reeeee-ally tired of hearing the stories of people who climbed Everest four days post-op. I'm ashamed to say that I allowed their tales to undermine my confidence. Finally it dawned on me that my recovery wasn't any of their business, so I'd just make their recovery no business of mine unless they were members of bonesmart. :loll:
Thank you. Before finding this site, I was thinking some negative thoughts. Now I understand that everything is perfectly normal and I'm doing great@

Too bad my Dr. or my post op directions didn't even mention knee pain
They wouldn't have as many customers if they told most what they would be up against post-op. It's also why so many come here and get reassured they are not experiencing anything that most everyone else has gone through. The mental part of the recovery from this surgery can be tough, plenty of bad days. All of those well meaning people don't realize they aren't helping when they tell fishing stories about recoveries.

Hi. If this has been asked, I apologize. I looked through several pages of posts and didn't see this question....
I had LTHP on January 9. I was wondering if any of you bothered to get a disabled parking placard, so you didn't have to walk so far. Not driving yet, but will be as soon as Dr. says it's OK. Thank you

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
OsteoBionicGal
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom