Teeth before knees?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kymamaw

Country
United States United States
Hello all, I am contemplating TKR and would like to know if doctor's require you to have your needed teeth repairs to be done before knee surgery can be done? Is it your choice or his requirement?
Thank you in advance. Cheers to those who are on the other side.

Not an expert, but my doc says no dental work for three months after surgery. And then with antibiotic prophylaxis. So if you need it, might be smart to take care of it first.

It's always best to have any dental issues (or any other health issues for that matter) resolved before having joint replacement. Surgeons many times don't insist on this, but it just is a good practice that you go into a major surgery in the best health possible. Is it possible to have your dental work done now?

kymamw, I moved some dental work forward of my surgery this coming September at the recommendation of my OS. I have a teeth cleaning scheduled 3 months post surgery. My dentist and OS are however at odds over taking antibiotics for dental work post surgery. The OS opinion is that I take antibiotics for pepituity before dental work including teeth cleanings while my dentist is adamant that maximum 6 months post surgery only.

I agree with the others---you should get the dental work done prior to the TKR, as if you don't, you may have some issues due to having to wait.

It is a tiny hurdle, but it is worth it to get it done ahead of time.

I'm waiting for a surgery date just for that reason. My OS will not do the surgery until all my dental work is finished and my mouth is completely healed. Lessens the risk of infection.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back