THR TED Hose for Short People

el344

Country
United States United States
The TED hose I got in the hospital hit me right just above the center of the knee and keep rolling down, cutting off the circulation in my leg. I have searched for TED hose in a short length and have not found them. I’m wearing short compression stockings, but I’m having my other hip done next month and would like to find some TED hose that actually fit. Any suggestions?

LTHR May 13, 2021
RTHR July 13, 2021

:welome:
Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart and recovery!
As far as the TED hose you can try Amazon. If you do, consider signing up for the smile.amazon program. In doing so, Amazon will donate a portion of your purchase to BoneSmart with no additional charge to you. It is a win, win. You receive your product and BoneSmart also benefits. If interested, you can tap the link beneath my Staff Legal Disclaimer.

I‘ll leave the BoneSmart Recovery Guidelines below. I think you’ll find the information beneficial as you begin healing.

Stop back often, we’ll be here for advice and support if you need it. Wishing you lots of comfort and a peaceful evening.

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

They aren't really necessary according to Dr Ast from hospital for special surgery. I was not prescribed them to wear but I suppose each surgeon is different. Glad I didn't have to wear because I had limited support from my sis who could only come by so often. Good luck.

Different OS have different protocols and using the TEDS are one of the things done differently. I didn't have to use them for what it's worth. As far as being too long since they are short term use can you cut them down?

My surgeon wants me to wear them, so I will. I’ve searched Amazon, Walmart, various specialty shops that sell TED hose, and my local pharmacy that sells and fits them. I fear if I try to cut them off they’ll unravel completely. I may have to resort to thigh highs. Or he may be okay with compression stockings. I just can’t believe no one makes TEDs in shorter lengths!

@el344 I too am of the short persuasion! My doctor referred me to a place for custom (made to measure) compression socks that did fit better than the off the shelf kind. I still hated them but they did fit better! You could ask your surgeon for a recommendation to a local place that can do this for you or do a google search for "custom made compression socks" for your area.

Hello :wave:
Stopping by to wish you a Happy Two Month Anniversary on Lefty and realized your Right THR is today. Wishing you all the best and hope to read an update on both hips when you’re resting comfortably at home. Take good care!
@el344

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks