BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

tcdc135 - Got a new knee, need a new hip

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by tcdc135, Mar 11, 2019.

1. tcdc135

tcdc135 junior member

United States United States
    Well!! Back again! This time I need a new hip! :( Dr Cusick, that did my TKR has moved to Illinois (I am in Ks) So I am trying a different doc. I am waiting for a call to schedule my surgery. I had a cortisone injection Feb 20. Was great for 1 wk. Then in a matter of 48 hours it went BAD! I am now using crutches to get around. Taking 15 mg Mobic and just today added extra strength tylenol to the mix. His office has a policy of waiting 90 days after an injection to do a jt replacement. I guess infection rate after an injection goes up to 2.5% (From 2.1% without an injection) I am having his nurse ask if we can waive that requirement, informed consent! At the 1st appt he said I would be a good candidate for an anterior approach, other than that I don't know any other details yet. I will be back with a surgery date soon, hoping for April??! Just starting to do my reading for my new hip, crossing my fingers that hips are easier than knees!!

• Like Like x 4
  2. dlp

dlp senior

From what I saw of the TKR patients post surgery, recovery for the hip seems like it's a breeze in comparison!
    Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. tcdc135

tcdc135 junior member

So, the nurse called back this morning. The Dr is pretty set on the 90 days. I have an appt to “discuss” this next thurs. He offered me a Rx for tramadol. I know it is one of the least potent opioids, but I usually get so sick when taking them! I know I could use an anti nausea drug as well....I just am concerned about taking them for 2 1/2 months until the surgery? Seems to me like the tiny increase in infection risk (less than a 1% increase) would be worth the risk? Just not a fan of the opioids , until I really need them after surgery. My ice packs have warmed up.....thanks for listening, headed back to bed to try and get some sleep.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Really sorry for the wait and I certainly remember the struggle for relief AND sleep with bad hips.:blackcloud:

I was prescribed many types of pain medications prior to surgery...and finally had to drop them as they weren't relieving the pain and the side effects weren't worth it.
    I had a heating pad that offered Some comfort..
    Hope you are able to get some relief!
    And that time flies for surgery!:console2:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Bionic

Bionic post-grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I côuldnt find any relief from the pain before my hip either. Tried lots of stuff but nothing worked so gave up but was pretty desperate by the time the op came.
    The good news is that all that pain went immediately after the op.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    My tramadol was increased to 300 mg daily about a month ago and I am finding it is taking the edge off a bit. I can't walk any better but I think I am sleeping a little bit better and not spending the majority of the day in tears. You might want to at least fill the Rx and have it on hand in case you get worse before surgery.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Sorry you are having to wait for surgery in pain. Unfortunately there is no medication that eliminates pre-op pain. Just try and stay off that sore hip and limit activity that might make it flare. Hope you get your surgery date soon!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. tcdc135

tcdc135 junior member

Thanks all for the support! I did fill the Rx for the tramadol. I can take 1 or 2 (50mg) every 6 hours with the extra strength tylenol. I started yesterday with 1 tramadol and 1 tylenol. I do think it helped take the edge off. I still use the crutch, but the deep "tooth ache" in my hip/femur seems to be down to a 4 or 5. I can live with that! I am trying to limit my time on my feet. I am a Chiropractor, so we have been trying to bunch up my pts, and I just sit in the treatment room between pts. I also was able to sleep all night last night!!

• Like Like x 3
  9. Mojo333

:wave:Glad to hear you've gotten some relief!
    Hang in there, friend!:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Welcome back! After witnessing here what some suffer through with infection, I wouldn't challenge my OS's
    decision on the 90 days. With his experience, he knows best. Just my honest opinion. I'd avoid anything that's known to pose an increased risk. You'd probably want to kick yourself if you contracted an infection after being warned.

I'm sure you're struggling with pain and my heart goes out to you in that. Truly. It hasn't been too long that I've forgotten that draining misery. Wishing you comfort until your surgery date. :console2:
    @tcdc135

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. tcdc135

tcdc135 junior member

Thanks Layla! I saw my surgeon today.....as much as I want to get this over with....I agree. For the best long term results I will wait the 90 days. He did say if the tramadol stops working and it becomes unbearable, call him and we will move it up.

So for now I will continue the 15mg mobic in the morning, 1 or 2 tramadol (50 mg) every 6 hrs, and up to 6 XS Tylenol a day. (Total 3000) Surprisingly I am getting along good with the tramadol, usually pain meds make me violently ill! I am a bit concerned about taking it for another 2 months until my surgery? But I think I read a post (2014?)by Josephine that she took it for 4 months without any problems? @Josephine

Off to get my ice packs, take meds and go to bed!

Could a moderator add my new surgery date please? May 21....LTHR. Thanks!

12. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

I did indeed but we are all different individuals! However, I created these two schedules for the use of it. It's important - in order to get the best effects - to take Tylenol with Tramadol. You have a choice of these two schedules.

aa Tramadol routine 2.JPG

I know the FDA has ruled that 3,000mg acetaminophen is a safe maximum but that would be assuming that the patient is taking another medication that also contained it and thereby inadvertently take an overdose. Assuming that this is not the case, the maximum safe dosage per 24hrs 4,000mgs.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. tcdc135

tcdc135 junior member

Thank you Josephine!! Your post was just in time! I rode the struggle bus all night....am going to try the 1st schedule of every 4 hours. I am having a hard time getting to 6 hours. The last hour I am miserable, and the waiting for it to kick in sucks! I was going to try changing (1 of ea) to every 5 hours until I read your post. I took a pic of your chart with my phone, should be able to remember that way! Thanks again for your quick response-you're the best! T

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  14. tcdc135

tcdc135 junior member

Just curious....and yes, I realize we are all different as are all replacements. But, in general if you have had a TKR and a THR, was the THR noticeably easier? Mentally, I am trying to get prepared for my upcoming THR. So tired of the pain, crutches and limitations already, and have 47 more days to wait. I need a dose (or 2) of patience , and someone to say hips are easier! Just venting on a Wed!

• Like Like x 2
  15. ebungalow

ebungalow member

@tcdc135

In my experience, hips are much easier. There’s some information on the boards somewhere explaining why this is so. You’ll do great!

• Like Like x 4
  16. beachlily

beachlily member

I had TKR 6 years ago. Had hip replacement today. So far hip much less painful...My advice.. do it NOW. Things don’t get better so why live in pain?

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. tcdc135

tcdc135 junior member

Thanks guys! Would do it tomorrow, but got a cortisone injection feb 20 and now my surgeon says i need to wait 90 days after my injection... (infection risk goes up?)...so i have 47 days to go!! Had i known about the 90 days i would not have gotten it! Thanks!!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Mojo333

Hips are easier!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. 59billy

59billy member

Why didn't you tell me that two years ago?

• Funny Funny x 2