Standard Shoulder Replacement tazzy13's Recovery Thread

@SaraK ,as long as the right shoulder doesn’t dislocate, we are leaving it alone. I have full range of motion, so it’s fully functional. I will see what the Dr. has to say in 7 weeks when I have a follow up. Take care. TTYL.

@SaraK ,well had a cortisone injection into the left shoulder end of February, didn’t help just made it worse, went and seen my surgeon today, and just as I thought I need a total replacement she penciled me in for May 24th. Just waiting for them to schedule the CT and ultrasound to get the measurements she needs, will go back and see her in 2 weeks. Will know more after that. Will let you know what I find out. As always stay safe, take care.

@tazzy13 - I'm sorry the shot didn't help. Do you know whether they're looking at a standard or a reverse?

Having been thru shoulder surgery before, you have an idea what to expect and how to prepare but let us know what we can do to help you prepare!

@SaraK, it’s official May 24th. it will be a total replacement reg. With 6 weeks in the cpm chair, and start therapy 4 weeks after surgery. I will be staying overnight as I can’t have the nerve block. Now time to get things done and stay healthy. Take care stay safe.

Do you feel a sense of relief having a surgery date or will it send Tazzy into a dizzying state of activity? Personally (since I'm not the one going through it), I'm glad you have a date. I always viewed that as the first step of recovery. Feel free to drop by as you're waiting and we'll definitely be here when surgery is done.

Of course it will be a dizzying state of activity, what else would it be for tazzy. LOL. You know me all to well. I will be glad to be on the recovery side once again though, this shoulder has gone down hill way to fast, just glad she said she could do a TSA and not have to do a reverse, would like to keep them both the same.lol. Take care and stay safe.@SaraK,Ps just found out she will be doing the Simpliciti stemless replacement, so I will have 2 different shoulder’s can’t wait to see how much different this one is for recovery. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Well I wasn’t able to get the stemless replacement I failed the thumb test bone was to mushy, so I got the regular replacement on Tuesday, shoulder is feeling good there is pain but it’s less than it was before surgery. Was surprised she had as much work to do in there, got a few bone grafts an open biceps tendonisis plus some other work done. Guess it will take a bit longer for recovery. Pain after was minimal she numbed it all inside because I can’t do the nerve block. Get the stitches out on Wednesday. Take care and stay safe.

@SaraK , Just giving an update on my surgery, of course things didn’t go as planned but will deal with it. Only taking 5mg. of oxy 2 times a day Tylenol 500 mg.3 times a day and a muscle relaxer 2 times daily, lots of ice and just doing my simple exercises will start the chair tomorrow and follow up appointment on Wednesday. Will let you know how it goes. Take care and stay safe.

I'm sorry things didn't go as planned but am glad they were able to give you effective pain control this time. It sounds like you're on the right path for pain management. Keeping my fingers crossed for follow-up tomorrow!

Got stitches out , she explained everything she did and boy was it a lot. She has me nonweight bearing on both shoulder’s because study shows that the motion and weight transfers to the other side. While sitting I can take off the sling for short periods of time. But as I’m in the CPM chair around 6 hrs a day it’s not such a big deal. I haven’t taken any pain meds. in 2 days. Just Tylenol and a muscle relaxer at bedtime, lots of ice. Next I get to start doing shoulder pinches. 3 more weeks till I start therapy. Take care and stay safe.

@tazzy13 Wow - sounds like you are doing really well with this recovery! Long may it continue!

Week 2, doing great, no pain meds, don’t get me wrong I have some pain but way less than before surgery so I don’t need pain meds,would rather have a little pain then the effects of the meds. I’m at 90 degrees in the cpm chair so that is tops and where I stay at. Other than that I’m doing great. Take care and stay safe.

Glad to see things are going according to plan. I'm with you on the pain meds. A little pain is tolerable and may keep you from doing something you shouldn't! (That's a reminder I always need).

I get to start therapy this will be the 4 week mark. Been at 90 degrees on my cpm chair for almost 3 weeks now. Did have a small issue they have been dealing with, the top part of my incision decided to open up, so I have been painting it with iodine 2 times a day and covering it with gauge. She checked it out today and as a precaution put me on antibiotics for a week. I go back and see her next week. No pain meds, Tylenol or muscle relaxers, just ice a couple times a day. Take care and stay safe.

@tazzy13 glad to see you post. I like to see how everyone is doing. I just turned 68, so I am close in age to you. I have my reverse shoulder replacement next Tuesday. So to hear you are only taking Tylenol or a muscle relaxer, that seems promising. Now I know how important it is to get movenent. Now when they are measuring you, is your arm reaching forward, or out to the side? I suppose it will be measured many different ways. I was use to just getting flexion and extention with my knee replacements. Took me awhile to get to that 120 bend. Please keep posting, I need to know what might be happen to me. Good luck to you.

@Debbie_joints ,they measure in almost all directions, my therapist is very happy with the range of motion I have already. I had my right shoulder replacement 2years ago and I have better than normal range of motion on that side, so hoping for close to the same on this one. Best of luck on your surgery, wishing you luck and don’t worry about taking pain meds, if you need them take them, stay ahead of the pain. I was in a lot of pain before surgery, so it was hurting a lot less after, that’s why I stopped the pain meds, I still have some pain but I can tolerate it. Ice will become your best friend afterwards. Take care, will look for your recovery thread. Take care and stay safe.

5 week follow up appointment and they ended up debriding the top half of my incision , she called it failure to heal, but while they were doing that they took out 3 stitches that didn’t resolve, so I have to pack it wet and cover with dry gauge. Go back in a week for recheck, then again 9 days later. X-rays looked great. Range of motion is really good. One more week for the sling and chair. Very little pain just a slight twinge once in awhile.no meds at all for the last 4.5 weeks, this one has been different from the right shoulder. Take care and stay safe.

@tazzy13 sorry to hear that your incision isn't healing properly. But sounds like they have a plan and hope it works. Sounds like everything else it doing great. Keep it up.

Tazzy, while the occasional healing could be better, I'm so glad the rest of your report is so glowing positive! You definitely seem to be the poster child for the passive motion chair,

@SaraK , I’m a firm believer in the chair, I also had the one for the knee when I had the replacement it works wonders at least for me. Now to just get this incision to heal, we are doing wet to dry packing each day after it was debriefed but it’s looking better already, I go back for a recheck on the 4th. They should be picking up the chair next week she only had the order for 40 days. Sure won’t miss it. LOL. Take care and stay safe.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson