Knee Infection* Tattoos

Best to ask your surgeon when you can add additional tattoos.
With your history of infection you will want to let the tattoo artist know so they be extra cautious with your preparation and material handling.

That has been the running joke here..doing some art work around all the scars I have now....lol :)

Just wanted to say hi, Thank You very much to you and your for your service and everyone's sacrifices! Hope you are doing well!

Thanks Fire!

Knee is on the mend. I can definitely tell when I've overdone it for the day (most days I overdo it!). It was pretty poopy that my recovery clock had to essentially be reset when I had the surgery after the replacement!

BTW, thanks for playing the word games!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

If it makes you feel any better, I fell on my tkr 4 hrs post op and blew out the staples and severely sprained my ankle on same side thanks to a very incompetent nurse's aide. Had to get restapled the next morning! But at least I had input on where they should put some extra staples! Lol

Nice! I bet it didn't feel as if someone hit your knee with a wrecking ball! At least I hope not! I thought I was going to die when all blocks wore off!:dead:

No but there was a dinner plate sized puddle of blood on the ground. That was fun explaining to the kids. The wrecking ball pain came when I got shot with a .45 in the hip several years ago!

Doing well! Knee is finally looking like it is healing correctly. I was hoping to get the sutures on my ankle taken out yesterday, but no luck. They come out Tuesday. The ankle is just such a flexible bunch of skin! How are you?

I feel your pain. We are still packing up for our move and I am keeping the kids at home during the day. It's good for me though, I end up walking a ton. Makes me really tired at the end of the day.

I did just get a new-to-me canoe that I am really excited to paddle when I am able!

It has been awhile since I’ve posted any updates on here. I started having some pretty bad pain in the right knee back in January. PCP sent me for more PT and acupuncture, both to no avail.

When insurance finally got around to sending me to a (very good) OS, he figured that the implant had loosened but would not do surgery. His reasoning is that he has never done a lateral to TKR before. The operation is backward from what he is used to, and he didn’t want to experiment on me. Besides, the hospital is not equipped to handle extremely complicated surgeries such as this. I can personally vouch for this. I am a surgical scrub in the same hospital and I work with this surgeon daily.

He referred me to an excellent hospital (University of Iowa). The OS there set up a SPECT/CT which indeed show loosening. He told me that it needs to be revised immediately to a TKR to avoid further loosening and bone damage.

Long story short, looking like an October revision surgery for me. Fingers crossed that all goes well with this one.

On a side note, after being involved with 20 or so total knees, I would like to disagree, respectfully of course, with something that I have read multiple times. I have read that the knee implant is wrapped in so much muscle, fat, and other tissue, that it is impossible for it to get cold. I would love to invite whoever started that rumor to come out to Iowa in January. I can feel exactly where my prosthesis is by running my hand over my knee. While the rest of my knee is warm, the prosthesis remains cold. Just my two cents.

Thanks!
Matt

His reasoning is that he has never done a lateral to TKR before. The operation is backward from what he is used to, and he didn’t want to experiment on me. Besides, the hospital is not equipped to handle extremely complicated surgeries such as this. I can personally vouch for this. I am a surgical scrub in the same hospital and I work with this surgeon daily.

He referred me to an excellent hospital (University of Iowa). The OS there set up a SPECT/CT which indeed show loosening. He told me that it needs to be revised immediately to a TKR to avoid further loosening and bone damage.
Your original surgeon is correct. You do need a surgeon who is skilled at doing revisions.
And your second surgeon is correct - your knee does need to be revised as soon as possible. There is some danger that a loosened prosthesis could cause damage to the bones.
Do let us know when you have a date for the revision, wont you?

I have had a PKR revised to a TKR. For me, the recoveries were very similar.

On a side note, after being involved with 20 or so total knees, I would like to disagree, respectfully of course, with something that I have read multiple times. I have read that the knee implant is wrapped in so much muscle, fat, and other tissue, that it is impossible for it to get cold. I would love to invite whoever started that rumor to come out to Iowa in January. I can feel exactly where my prosthesis is by running my hand over my knee. While the rest of my knee is warm, the prosthesis remains cold. Just my two cents.
I've been on BoneSmart for 6 years and I'm not sure where you've read that.
In my experience, whether or not the knee feels cold post-knee replacement is a very individual matter. Some people say their knee feels cold in winter. Others notice no difference.

My mother had two knee replacements and she always complained of cold knees - she knitted herself some knee warmers.
My own two TKRs don't seem to feel the cold.

My knee aches when outside in cold weather, and sometimes even in the refrigerator section of a grocery store!

I had a partial, a Patellofemoral, and my knee has never felt right. My second opinion surgeon said my X-ray looked fine and the implant was not loose. No other test was ordered. But I have some symptoms of a loose implant.

Did your X-ray also indicate that it was loose, in addition to the SPECT/CT?

Good morning!

My x-ray looked relatively ok. A static bone scan, SPECT/CT, and a weight bearing long leg x-ray were ordered based purely on symptoms. The diagnosis was confirmed. It was pretty apparent right away that the increased uptake was occurring around the prosthesis. It’s pretty cool to watch the screen during the study if you can, great entertainment for the 50 minutes you have to lie down.

I would love to have further testing to see if mine is loose but so far both my original surgeon and the second opinion surgeon won’t look past my X-ray.

What were your symptoms?

My symptoms are, my knee/leg is very uncomfortable in different angles, it is very painful to go down steps foot over foot. Some times I can go up steps foot over foot, but I need a handrail on both sides of the stairs, and the more I do it, the worse I do. Leaning forward bothers my knee, like when I’m making the bed.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562