Knee Infection* Tattoos

ridgw003

senior
Country
United States United States
My surgery isn't until Tuesday morning at 9:15. I, of course will start off with all the basics. Right lateral partial knee replacement with a tibial tubercle transfer. This will be my 7th surgery on this knee (all detailed elsewhere), and my 13th overall. The doc expects a full recovery, whatever that means at this point.

My purpose for starting this recovery thread early is that I am trying to start my recovery early. As part of the lead-up to my surgery, we have done things as a family that hurt like hell. A three day drop to Disneyland, I did a 20K canoe race, coaching t-ball, going on walks, and tonight, camping with my five year old daughter in the backyard, just because she likes sleeping next to dad.

All of these things got me thinking. First, I am a big believer in if you believe you can do it, you probably can. If you have faith in yourself enough to prepare for something, you will probably succeed in it.

I believe that, someday, I will be able to redo this month long farewell tour for my knee without pain, pain medication, or having to make sure I take ice packs and ace wraps. I believe that, someday, I will be able to go for a walk with my kids and my wife, without lagging behind or hurting. I believe that this surgery, despite being unlucky number 13, will succeed, and I will recovery fully.

Despite all this faith and belief, I am nervous. Those demons always seem to creep up in my mind before a big event in my life. Before my marriage I wondered if we were doing the right thing, if we were rushing things a bit too much. Before each one of my three kids, I wondered if we could really afford it. Before my deployments, I wondered if I would come back. While all of these things seems to be working out fine, well in fact, those doubts and fears always seem to creep in.

What if this surgery doesn't work? What if there is no change? What if the surgeon, like the contractor on the house last year, is grossly overstating his experience? What if he, again like the contractor, can't do a straight grout line to save his life?

I know that this surgery is happening, and I believe it will be a long and arduous recovery, but I have faith, that in the end, I will be ok.

My recovery is starting tonight. This beautiful little girl softly snoring in the pink sleeping bag with purple moose next to mine. We watched the light fade away and the stars come out. She asked me which stars were the important ones and I tried not to regurgitate facts from my physics class. She reminded me that she is afraid of the dark, but that it was ok because daddy was right next to her.

These kids, the simple joys they bring to me. The smile on my wife's face when she see's me get home from school. The happiness of my dog when she watches me pull a piece of ham off just for her. These are the things that are going to drive my recovery, just like they have sustained me through many other tough times in life.

This community has done its part as well. You have quelled many of my fears and have given me support from those that have been in my shoes before. Through this community, I have made friends with like interests, like minds, and like conditions. Thank you for that.

I apologize for the rambling nature of my first recovery post. I will try to keep the others a little more brief. I just had a lot on my mind.

Good night all, I'll see you on the flip side...

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

Matt,
Pre op jitters are normal, this is a major surgery.
Hope you had a good night and wake up to a beautiful sunrise with your daughter.

Here is the pre op reading for you, take it slow and sure, let your knee heal.

First is the reading

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:

There are also some cautionary articles here

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Best wishes for a speed recovery. I am almost 9 weeks out. I can already walk without lagging. I still get pain, recovery isn't easy, but I already have better function than before surgery. Good luck!

Matt, what a beautiful start to your recovery. May the force be with you as will everyone here. :hugzz:

What a great post! Just think of how you will enjoy all those things pain free! I've started a bucket list of what I want to do once I have more energy and stamina - nothing huge, but little things like walk my dog, go to the farmer's market, take a walk next spring in a park that is filled with lilac trees.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

What a beautiful post! Your attitude is amazing and sure you make your recovery successful!

I also have a 5 yr old. It's such an awesome age! I've been reading him bedtime stories from my "nest" and snuggling through thunderstorms.

It's hard to do this with young children, but I can't wait to be able to keep up with him and not dread the pain of taking to the park / tee ball / vacations.

Good luck to you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Nice post don;t be lulled into thinking that you will recover faster with a Partial. For the first three weeks, I was mostly in bed or on the couch with my knee elevated. It takes time for the knee to heal from surgery and for those soft tissues to settle down. Don't be in a rush to start exercising.

Good luck on your surgery tomorrow. I will have my RTKR tomorrow as well. I am scared, but keep telling myself that the pain I feel now will only get worse and the pain I feel after will get better. See you on the other side of surgery.

Aw I love this. My kids are still young and needy and they've been awesome these past 6w. Stepping up to take care of mommy. I can't wait to jump on a trampoline or go zip lining with them once these knees are recovered. Kids, they'll keep us young.

Thanks for all the well wishes all! I am now resting comfortable back at home. I ended up not needing the tibial tubercle transfer! Once the implant was in, the patella was tracing normally. Of course I will keep all updated as stuff starts cruising along. For now, some serious relaxation!

upload_2017-5-31_19-17-49.png

Day 0-Day 1

Rough time of it last night. The nerve block wore off sometime around 3:30, the pain woke me up. Pain is under control now, definitely keeping on the narcotic schedule for a couple days.

Yes, I know that I am supposed to stay off, but I'm going to a preschool graduation today. Should only take about 10 minutes!

Will update again soon.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you got the pain under control. It's a bit of a shock when the block wears off.

Good luck today. I have my son's preschool grad next Friday, and I'm nervous about it at 3.5 weeks along. Make sure your leg is elevated!!

Congrats on sons graduation? Luckily they are quick. I was gonna have my wife FaceTime me, but my daughter used puppy dog eyes when she asked me to go [emoji56]

I get it!! Some things can't be missed!

Hey Matt, went searching for some answers and stumbled on your story. Had my left lateral done 3.5 years ago. It has been a definite challenge, but given I had few other options, it's been pretty good.

Glad to see you're doing so well after your procedure and not letting it keep you from the important things in life!

Not sure how much I will be able to help you since you've been to a few rodeos before and know your knee and body better than anyone, but would be happy to try.

Hey McIrish,

Thanks for the kind words. As far as I understand, out of 100 knee replacements, only one or two would be lateral. While not an extremely rare surgery, it is done with much less frequency. Maybe that's why there was ConforMIS rep on hand for my operation.

So far I have been doing pretty well as long as I stay on top of the pain. As for a CPM machine (another post on that somewhere else), I have learned to really like it. It gives me quality time to myself.

I'm glad that your partial has held up well!

Welcome to the forum.

How was graduation? Hope you are feeling ok! Lots of elevation and ice for the rest of the day!!

It was nice. Preschoolers are adorable! We ended up staying for about a half hour afterwards. Now it's ice, ice, and more ice! My wife and niece went shopping so I'm hanging out with my partial knee and my CPM machine!

Hey McIrish,

Thanks for the kind words. As far as I understand, out of 100 knee replacements, only one or two would be lateral. While not an extremely rare surgery, it is done with much less frequency. Maybe that's why there was ConforMIS rep on hand for my operation.

So far I have been doing pretty well as long as I stay on top of the pain. As for a CPM machine (another post on that somewhere else), I have learned to really like it. It gives me quality time to myself.

I'm glad that your partial has held up well!

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, the laterals are pretty rare. So hard to get information/answers that are specific to a lateral PKR. Another forum friend Josh aka @RedRider had a lateral w/ a PF done. He's very knowledgeable with the technical aspects of the procedure and a good all around guy. He has had a very successful post-pkr life. Very active!

I have a preschooler as well. Glad I got this procedure out of the way a few years back! Now I am contemplating surgery on both shoulders as well.
:thud:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so glad the graduation went well! I really enjoy the time on the CPM machine as well, although lately I keep looking around the spare bedroom and finding things we need to do... paint, move furniture, new blinds, etc. Because of that, I'm not sure my husband is as much a fan of the machine as I am. During my first week home, I actually fell asleep while connected to the machine. There's something calming about the sound it makes.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom