THR Tashia's Hip is in Recovery, WOW!

Re: New hip 13 September - feeling sad

Hi Tashia,
I was just reading through your thread and I just wanted to say how glad I am that you have turned a corner on your sadness and seem to finding more and more ways of re-embracing life. I liked what dweezle had to say about sometimes simply respecting one's sadness rather than being frightened by it. The process of going through your things sounds like is giving you joy, rather than sadness, which is a marvelous thing. In a profound way it is maybe a parallel to something we go through with our hips - all that fighting against what we can't do anymore, but then when we focus on the things we will be able to do in the future, life opens up again. As Jo's story captures so clearly, it is human to hold onto the past, but we also have to realize our own tendency idealize it, and as Jo said, if we had it back we just as likely would start wondering why we would want to hold onto it! Funny, funny things we humans.
Wishing you the best with sorting through your things and your ongoing recovery.

I am having problems with the leg that had a hip replacement. Between my right knee and hip a good part is feeling numb. I do notice that when I take pain medicane it goes away but when the medicane wears off the numb feeling comes back. Is this normal: My surgry was back in September and i thought by now I would be off pain medicane and not have the numbness in my leg. Need help in this.

Hi Tashia,

Welcome to the BoneSmart community. You will find the support and encouragement that you need to help make your recovery easier. I have had 2 hip replacements and I can tell you that recovery can try your patience. The progress comes slowly sometimes and with all the pain meds that we have to take, our mood sometimes gets a little glummy. But try to give yourself more time. It's still pretty soon and there a lot of good recovery and improvemen ahead. Hang in there and keep in touch.

Dori
aka GrandyGirl

Grandygirl is spot on - still early days for you tashia. There is no set time when we stop the pain meds. Your body will tell you when it is time.

Hi Tashia

One of the valuable lessons I have learnt from all the wonderful folk sharing their stories on BS is that itnhas reinforced to me the fact that we are individuals and cannot compare ourselves to others and their stories of recovery.

It is wonderful to get the encouragement, but it is our journey and no one else's. There are so many variables that led us to have a hip replacement, so each of our journeys will be different, slower, stronger, quicker, easier... Patience is the mantra as much as we don't like hearing it...

Take care :)

Thanks for all your comments. I realize things take time, to show how fast time goes by, I looked at the calender and realize that this month is 5 years of being cancer clean. It's interesting to see as one bump of the road is over another comes. But you still keep moving.

Speaking of moving I can't believe all the stuff you keep. This week the garage is going to be completely cleaned. I wonder what surprises I will find. I have gotten my nights and days mixed up and need to get them back in order. Starting to drive and enjoying every bit of it. However I will not drive if I have medicine in me so I have to wait till it wears off and with Christmas lights coming I will be able to see them. Every comment has been so helpful and I hope the new ones that join find as much help as I have and will continue to have. Sometimes I stil have trouble getting around the site but it is getting easier. But that not saying I don't have trouble. Well I need to get to sleep, got a big week with the cleaning out the garage. Hope the weather stays so I can get it out of my life.

Hi Tashia

We moved in September, I can so sympathize with the effort that it takes to sort, go through things and pack.

So pleased for you that your house sold so quickly, it will be good for you to have that new start.

To be cancer clear at your five year mark, a new hip and a new home, it sounds as though your life is heading in the right direction.

I notice that you are a quilter, this is something I want to take up in the new year. I have the sewing machine, just have to get started.

Take care cleaning out the garage my friend, there can be hidden things to trip over - do take care :)

xx

I am having problems with the leg that had a hip replacement. Between my right knee and hip a good part is feeling numb. I do notice that when I take pain medicane it goes away but when the medicane wears off the numb feeling comes back. Is this normal: My surgry was back in September and i thought by now I would be off pain medicane and not have the numbness in my leg. Need help in this.

Hi Tashia,
My left hip birthday was in September too. I also have some numbness. Not as extensive an area as yours seems to cover, just mostly around the surgical sight.

I am no doctor but I do ask a lot of questions, and have a very good relationship with google. There can be some remaining irritation and inflamation from surgery that is causing numbness. What I have found to be helpful is to massage the area. If you haven't already done that, you might give it a try. Hopefully, that will work for you as well.

Keep on keeping on. :dancy:
dweezle

Today was a good day got the garage cleaned out but very tired. Was really surprised that I was able to do what I did. I just hope I not sore later. I didn't find any surprises, that good, and now for the house to close and I will have that part of my life closed. So I am now ready for more time for sewing and doing what I want to do. If someone told me I would feel this good I wouldn't believe it. It's also time to start to look forward to a trip. Now to get the apartment set up and become home. To the new members please remember that in your time and your pace, you will find the hip replacement will be very strong and no pain. I was able to lift myself up and get into a truck today using my right side with the replacements. It was so much stronger than my left. very neat.

Well done Tashia

It must feel great to get all that behind you and to be able to get back to your sewing and thinking about all the nesting you will be doing in your new apartment home.

Awww...you are doing so well Tashia. You have learned a lot on Bone Smart yes, but you have gone through a hip replacement and moved all in a short time! Give yourself a big pat on the back!

New beginnings all around Tashia! I wish that 2012 is filled with all things good for you! Well done!

Today was a day that remindered me I'm not as young as I use to be. Body is sore from all the cleaning out of garage but so glad its over. Went to a doctor and was informed that my wrists are getting worse. I sometime wounder that doctor can only think surgry is the solution all problems. I know they hurt but that has to be other solution than going under the knife. I guess I just grumpy because I'm tired. Need to get to the ocean and spend time on the beach and get some sun. We have been having so much fog and it gets dark so early and I am a sun person. In all of things it is so great to be alive than so much can be done for joints that wear out. well I got to get moving and get my Christmas decoration done before the holiday is over. One more week and the house will be out of my life and not have to do anything but enjoy life. I realize that I need a new car because its's getting close to being retired. In time I do need another new hip and knee but all in due time. Question, In Europe do you have to go your family doctor to refured to a surgry or do you just and get in line for surgry that is needed? Like to find out on how other places work other than the United States. Also starting to think about getting another dog. For the ones who just joined hang in there in time things do get great! Everyone take care . :doggieshmooze:

Tashia, there are OA medications that workwell for arthritic wrists. I take Meloxicam (Mobic 15mg) and have very good luck. Do you take anything like that for an NSAID?

But there comes a point when they are correct.

Question, In Europe do you have to go your family doctor to refured to a surgry or do you just and get in line for surgry that is needed?

I can't speak for all of Europe but here in the UK we go to our GP first and get referred to a surgeon. We can pick a particular hospital and request a specific surgeon. But the OS is sometimes selected from a group so there is not always a choice. Depending on what area of the country there are waiting times for the procedure.

Hi Tashia,

So glad to hear you are doing better! And all the best with your move. I sold my house 2 years ago and moved into a condo and life is good! Continue to be patient with yourself, the healing will need more time. It was 7 months after my first new hip before I felt really good. Each day is different and better in some ways. Slow going for me this time, as the saying goes "patience is a virtue" and not one I have! But we all learn and then as everyone says, can help others through this journey. Take care!

As of this morning, my house is now owned by a couple who have never owned before. I left it tip top shape so they will not have much to do.:dancy:I I thought I would celebrate it by going out but instead came home and fell asleep for a couple of hours. I guess i didn't realize how much it was stressing me out. Now is time for me.:yes 4: Now get ready for Christmas and bring the New Year with little stress.:yes 4:

Good for you Thasia, I am so pleased for you:)

Tashia...would you be so kind as to put a signature in your profile so we will have your surgery date close at hand?

You can find the instructions here How to create a signature.

Once you've done this, your signature should appear in all your posts automatically. If it does not show up, go to your User Control Panel (link right at the top of the page on the right) and then to Edit Options in the menu on the left. Scroll down a bit until you see this - and make sure all three boxes are ticked as in the picture
aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_pistelemen.jpg

That also applies to anyone else who is reading this.
Thank you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
LeonGirl
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom