THR Tashia's Hip is in Recovery, WOW!

Re: New hip 13 September - feeling sad

:what:
I need help to get around the site. I have some knowledge but very slow learner on computer. I enjoy being around people making quilts for those in need. Having trouble with sewing so feeling blue is moving in. i do hate changing time with the clocks. I't dark so soon.

What's the :what: for, Tashia?

Seems to me that she's looking for a tutorial or something? Just a guess...

Tashia, there are threads in the OFFICE (tab is at the top of the screen) to help you do all kinds of things here in the forum. Find the OFFICE tab and click on it. You should see a drop-down menu. Select the last time that says "How To Use the Forum." You'll see an index of all the threads available.

If you need more help that what is covered there, please let us know. Any of the staff (and a lot of the members) can help you.

tashia, feeling better

I didn't have any idea a hip replacement was harder than a knee replacement, this really surprised me. I need to get back to my sewing, this is the season i get going on making Christmas stuff for those in need. need to stop feeling sorry for my self and get going. Its the driving that I miss. :sigh:

Tashia, I have merged the latest thread you started in the recovery forum with this one. We like to keep everyone's updates in a single thread so that people can more easily follow your recovery journey. It also makes it easier for us to check back on your history if a concern arises.

Please feel free to post on anyone else's thread if you want to chat or comment, but your own updates should be here. At some point if you decide you'd like to change the title of your thread, just post what you'd like it to say here and one of the staff will make the change for you.

Hi Tashia,
You have an opportunity to be of great help to people in need. I hope that I am not going to come off as too "new age".

You've heard a lot of folks here tell you that what you are enduring, at the moment, is "normal". Some of us went through it quickly and others, it took more time. Actually, I think some people are so concerned about feeling their sadness/fear/helpless reaction that they do whatever they can to avoid experiencing it.

How you might be able to be of some help other people is by simply noticing, and learning as much as you can about your emotional reaction to your post surgery time. It is as much a by product of the surgery as swelling and soreness. There may come a time when you will be asked by other people who are going through this, about your experience. Then you will have a truly valuable gift for those folks, because you will know a lot about it and can offer some form of help.

Actually, I've just realized that is what I am wanting to do by writing this.:console:

Something that surprised me, as I went through, what I am describing, was what helped me a lot was to be able to make myself have the sad and scared feelings at will. Once I could do that, I started to understand the feelings were not the TRUTH, they were only thoughts in my head that I was believing were true...

I will shut up now... I wish you every success with your recovery. Stay in touch.

Hi, Tashia- I'm struggling with the post-op blues, too- my surgery was three weeks ago today, and I'm making progress- pretty good progress, in fact, but it's frustrating to have to sit on the sidelines and not do things around my house- my husband is running himself ragged trying to do too much, and consequently not doing anything real well- I finally melted down on him tonight, but we had a good talk and came up with some constructive ways to ask the teenaged kids to pitch in some more. I know exactly how you feel, and if you need to vent, contact me, I'll always have an ear available. I've also learned already, though, that this forum is a great source of information and support, and that nine times out of ten, even if I'm having a rough night, I feel better in the morning. Hang in there. We'll get through this stage together.

Ah yes - that three week point. I remember it well. You are finally starting to function a bit more but face the reality that there is still a way to go.

Please don't get discouraged! You will get there. Just a bit of patience, time and a little help for now. MamaTaft you are so right, ask the teenagers help even if it's just temporary. That way everyone is taking part in this important recovery.

tashia, you will be driving before you know it! Just remember this is a very small space of time in a lifetime of no more hip pain!

Hi Tashia,
Before I had my opp, I was a bit worried that I was going to lose part of my body for good.

I am now in my third week of recovery and boy do I feel good, all that pain I was suffering GONE.

Hang in there do the exercise you have to do to recovery and you will be back to driving a car in no time (I miss driving too)

All the best
Mikeb.

Tashia,

The post-op blues are normal and if it makes you feel any better you are not alone. I'm at 9 weeks and I'm still on a walker. I'm only 54 years old and my surgeon and PT say it is normal (not saying I believe them)... but I do know that I'm better than I was 10 weeks ago and I won't lose hope until after one year of PT. Everyone heals at different rates and A LOT depends on your condition before your surgery. My hip was deteriorating and I also had hip dysplasia since birth. My muscle tone was so bad in my operative leg that I couldn't put my full weight on it until 8 weeks with a cane. I can only walk on the cane with a PT by my side (even though I sneak at home and walk when my pain pills are kicked in). I have shed a lot of tears but I know I did the right thing... anything was better than the pain I had before. Your body is different than anyone elses... just trust it and you will be walking without assistance before you know it. (I guess I should take my own advice)

Yesterday was such a good day. I got to drive and enjoy the change of the leaves. today is even better, I had hardly any pain med. Finally seeing progres. My house is up for sale and i get a offer hope its good so I let go of it. I need to move on and make a new life with my new hip and glad to be getting out of the blues. :yay:

today, I sold my house and I should be glad but now i have to go thru all the stuff to get rid of over 30 years. I really hope me feelilng unhappy is due to the hip surgry. the weather is cold and raining. Is anyone out there?

Hi Tashia! Congrats on selling your house. Once you start packing up all your stuff it will take your mind off your blues... you have something really special to look forward to... a new home and a new hip :D

Oh.. it's cold and rainy here too... I'm in Pennsylvania.

Congratulation on selling your house Tashia! While the task of packing up and moving may seem daunting -- just think how terrific it will be to be in new housing and have all your things accounted for - I've lived in my home for 25+ years - lol I'm sure I've got hidey holes full of lost treasures waiting to be found when ever I get up the nerve to think about moving. New home, new hip - opportunities for new experiences - sounds wonderful. Take it slow and easy - concentrate on one room at a time, have 3 separate piles - keep, recycle (give to family, friend, or charity), and junk (right into the trash bag). ONLY pack for moving those things you absolutely can not live without.

Weather here in Pacific Northwest is - typical fall for the area - cold, wet, dark, and now they (the local weather folks) are predicting snow! No, no no do NOT want that! At least not down here in the city - I like it to stay up on the mountains where it belongs - make the skiers and snowboarders happy -

Tashia, I just moved house in September. LisaP is right - once you start packing things will feel much better. Somehow getting it all sorted is therapy.

Please remember to take things slow tough won't you? Don't try too much lifting heavy things. You are still recovering and may find lifting and twisting makes you a bit sore.

Take care!

Hi tashia

I hate the change of the clocks as well especially for the wee one's getting to school in the morning. Don't worry about being slow on the site the more you come on the better you will get.

Billy.

I'm in the process of going thru things, In fact i found a toy that my daughter lost when she was 11. She is now 32. When I told her, she was delighted and wanted me to send it as soon as possible, after talking to her i found more of her stuff. So I have decided to send her a care box for Christmas. Isn't interesting that these things were lost so long ago and at that time she felt that losing these things were the end of the world. well the world is still here and so is her toys. i just hope I don't find more because the box keeps getting bigger and bigger. I also found pictures of her when she received them and I thought i would put them in the box with them. Life can be so interesting at times.

When I was 11 our home was repossessed. We weren't allowed to take anything except a few clothes as a result of which I have absolutely nothing of my childhood except a bible and prayer book my Godmother gave me for my Christening. So many things I partly remember but mostly my 14" high Bambi toy which was my love. Would you believe I still pine for my Bambi! :blush: (though if truth were known, if I'd had it, it would probably have ended up in the bin years ago!)

Just for you Jo!
awww_movieposter_com_posters_archive_main_59_MPW_29792_.jpg

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads