Ankle TAR to fusion?

keepwalking

Country
United States United States
Hello, I am curious if anyone here has had to have an ankle implant removed and the ankle then fused with cadaver bone? I had a TAR in 2002 and a revision on the bottom portion in 2004 because the implant had sunk into my talus bone. I was told a new and improved piece would be put in; but, this was not the case. In 2015, I had a 2nd TAR because the implant was lose and bone was damaged. Now, an x-ray shows the implant is crooked and the talus bone is very thin.
I was told nothing more can be done except to remove the implant, cut the thin part of the talus bone and fuse with cadaver bone. This has surgery has me very nervous because it is not done very often. Anyone have any experience with this? Would love to hear from you. Thanks!

@keepwalking
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!
I would suggest you seek a second opinion, from a surgeon specializing in revisions or complex joint reconstruction. You will want someone who does a lot of conversions to perform your surgery.

Obtaining a second opinion may help ease your concerns about your TAR to fusion conversion.

Thank you! I got a second opinion and was surprised to hear , he can do a revision. I will be getting a custom made implant. I have more confidence in this surgeon and am more positive about the surgery...even though a fusion may be needed some years from now. Thank you for this forum. Margaret

@keepwalking Thanks for your update. Well done on getting a second opinion. Sounds like you have found the expert you need to move forward. Great news! Please keep us updated.

Hello @keepwalking sounds like you have a good plan for your ankle. I'm 9 years into my STAR replacement so I hope you come back and share your experience, it can be very beneficial to others facing a similar issue. :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back