Ankle TAR surgery and weight

dette1063

Country
United States United States
Has anyone from the Philadelphia are had this surgery. I'm probably going to have this surgery done in January 2022 and I wanted to see if anyone has used Dr. Raikin at Rothman orthopedics at Jefferson University hospital. I had a tri-malleor fracture and dislocation 33 years ago and I am now at the point of not being able to handle the pain of this ankle anymore. I am scared to death to get this surgery. Has anyone been overweight and had this surgery? I'm afraid he is going to say no because of my weight or the insurance won't cover it.

Hi @dette1063 and welcome to BoneSmart. I had my TAR almost 10 years ago now and have been very happy with it. I was 5'9" and about 200 lbs. at the time, so not skinny! There are still a few old school docs that want you to lose weight first, but I think most now realize that losing weight is nearly impossible when you can't be mobile due to joint pain. Let us know how your visit goes.

Well, I scheduled the TAR. January 6, 2022. I may also have to have a calcaneal osteotomy. Anyone have that part done too

Congratulations for getting a surgery date, the first step towards pain free movement @dette1063. I can't speak to the calcaneal osteotomy, but please do come back often and share your journey with us.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads