THR Taking it easy

Crissiea

Country
United States United States
I just had my posterolateral tlhr on May 28, 2020. My OS planned on sending me home the same day, but.......it turns out that was easier said than done for me. I awoke from the surgery with tremendous pain ( an absolute 10). I do not recall which drug they gave me, but it started working after about 15 min. (15 min. too long!) In retrospect, I should have asked what was going to be done for after pain and advocated better for myself. I had my RTKR 2yrs ago and had a nerve block, so assumed the same, but apparently not. The rest of the day was a blur of pain and drugs and bed pans and not being able to get up for PT, as recommended. The next day, still hoping to go home, was spent figuring out which combination of medication would keep the pain at bay so I could get up and move. I asked for 2 oxy and 2 tylenol, which was the combo that got me through the knee. My nurse felt that was too much and held off. I begged, she declined. Finally, the OS team intervened and gave me IV torodal in addition to oxy and tylenol to get me over the pain edge once and for all. I had a much better outlook after that. I was exhausted and feverish, but no longer had bone or severe muscle pain. I had manageable pain. I was able to get up, use the bathroom and walk with the walker. On May 30, now on 2 oxy, 2 tylenol every 4 hours, and torodal 6 hrs (given by IV) I was able to move. I walked with crutches, climbed stairs, got dressed, ate and finally went home.

I am happy to say, at home, I am thriving. Down to 1 oxy every 4 hrs, alternating tylenol / alleve every 6. No torodal, lots of ice and taking it easy. For all you new hippies, listen to your body! You will know the difference between pain you can handle and pain you shouldn't have to. I wish my pre-surgery self could read this and avoid all that unnecessary pain and waste of time! I hope I can help some of you
:)

Hi @Crissiea and welcome to the healing side! Glad to hear you have the pain under control, keep up to your schedule, it's important to stay ahead of the pain in the early days. And ice as often as possible for at least 45 minutes to an hour. On of the moderators will be along soon to offer you the recovery guidelines, stop by often and keep us appraised of your recovery. :ice: :ice: :ice:

Hello and welcome to recovery! I’m sorry you had such a rough start. Thankfully the pain is finally well managed allowing you to rest comfortably.

Please don’t overlook the benefit of icing for both pain and swelling. You will find an article on ICE in the Recovery Guidelines below. I encourage you to read through the articles which contain beneficial information to follow as you begin healing.

Please stop back often with updates so we can follow your recovery supporting you along the way. A peaceful evening to you!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
@Crissiea

Hi All! 9 days post TLHR and doing well. I am walking with 1 crutch, sleeping on nonsurgical side (for a small amount of time) and going up and down stairs regularly. My biggest problem is ITCHING! All over the lower half of my body, but especially near my surgical wound, itches like crazy. I think it may be the oxycodone? I am taking allegra allergy med and anti- itch cream, as needed. Has anyone else been experiencing the itch?? Is this normal or should I be alarmed? Thanks!

Hi @Crissiea
Please don’t be alarmed. Itching is a common side effect of Oxy. Many experience it and some find relief through antihistamines. Your best bet is to check with your surgeon or Primary’s office to let them advise. Wishing you comfort and relief. Glad you’re doing well aside from the itch. :)

Hi @Crissiea oh yes itching! The oxy does it to me, and I also learned 30 years ago that itching signaled healing in my abdominal incision. Both hip incisions did it as well

Your initial pain journey sounds horrific. I'm glad that's over with! Others who may read your thread pre- their own surgery will read and learn!

Love hearing you're thriving! Just don't get cocky, as so many of us do.... (I'm looking in the mirror right now at Offender #1!!!) Keep resting, ice, elevation, walk, a little ice cream, repeat!

Crissiea, thinking about my upcoming hip surgery tomorrow morning, what exactly would you suggest that one should do to hopefully get the right Drugs for pain control? I was thinking that they probably have a normal protocol that they follow for people and you find out right away if that doesn't work. So maybe what you are saying is that you have to be proactive and insist that they keep working out the drug selection until something finally works?? Be your own advocate.

Most surgeons have a favourite protocol for pain relief drugs, but if that drug combination doesn't suit you, then you do need to contact your surgeon and ask for it to be adjusted or altered.

You might try Benadryl for your itching. There are prescription antihistamines if it doesn't do the job.

:hi: @Crissiea
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
How has your recovery been going since we last heard from you?
We’d love to read about your progress if time allows and you’re able to update.
Enjoy the remainder of the Summer...hope to hear from you soon!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom