TKR Tabbycat's Recovery<

@Tabbycat
sorry to hear your knee is acting up again, you have been such a trooper through this difficult journey and encouraging to others, I just know there will be better days ahead for you. :praying:

Hi @Tabbycat! I haven't been on BoneSmart in such a long time, so I was just catching up with your thread. I'm so so sorry that you're struggling. Couple things I want to share: I just got together with my friend who had her surgery almost 2 years ago. It wasn't until she reached 18 months that she was happy she had the surgery. And now she is delighted. Finally she is not only pain free, but also very physically active. She and her husband just got back from a trip to London, and she managed to walk all over the place. She thinks her recovery was slow due to her body's tendency for inflammation. But regardless of the reason, I wanted you to know of someone who waited a long time, but is finally happy!

Second thing: My physical therapist told me that sleeping on my stomach would be good for my extension. It came up when I asked if it would be o.k. - because I like to sleep that way. So maybe try that if you're comfortable in that position.

You are such a delightful, caring woman who has helped so many of us (especially me!) on BoneSmart. Thank you for all your encouragement of others. A day will come for you when you are happy to have that new knee of yours!

Hi @Happydale
How lovely to hear from you, I have missed you on the forum, and think about you often. I hope you are still progressing well and well on your way to normality.
Thank you for sharing about your friend, that is helpful to me. I have identified three things which I feel affect me personally, one is stress. Stress and negative mindset definitely worsens pain. I'm reading a book by Beth Darnall, she's a clinical associate professor of pain medicine at Stanford. She describes how stress feeds pain, and what to do to about it. It's not easy, but I'm hoping it will help, and I am motivated!
Second thing is food. Certain foods are definitely inflammatory, for me that means avoiding sugar, wheat, citrus and some dairy.
Third thing is changes in the weather. This has always affected my joints, and not much I can do about it, we need rain!
It's funny you should mention the sleeping position. It took me about two months to get a decent night's sleep on the recliner, but the physio said the same thing, that it's not doing my extension any good and I need to get back into bed. Pre-surgery I could only get to sleep on my stomach, so I am hoping I will be able to get comfortable in bed and that it will help. Now, how do I get my hubby to hurry up decorating the bedroom so I can get back in there? I mustn't nag, and cause stress, must I? :chinstroke:

Hope sleeping on your tummy helps Tabby. For me, that is one position I could never ever ever sleep in! x

So sorry to hear you are having troubles. Sleeping on my belly would not be an option for me either....them my back pains me! But, I hope it works for you!

I just recently was able to lay on my tummy. The extension was too bad to allow me to do that. Now, it's OK, but still not really comfortable like it used to be before the surgery. Tabby, I hope you find that sleep on your back helps you to sleep.

Hope the sleep works out. I am just now able to lie on my right side for a half hour or so, with a cushion between the knees. Funny what a big deal these little things become.

Oh yes, these little things become such big things to us!

When I could finally sleep on my side, with a pillow between my legs and lying on my non operated side, it was heavenly. It took about 6 weeks.

I do sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees and hugging another one kinda rolled over on it! Besides the one under my head :) I sleep with a cpap mask and can't really get too comfortable on my stomach although I used to really like that position!

I sleep mainly on my side and stomach and even though I have back problems, sleeping on my stomach does not bother me, it makes such a big difference when you can finally get comfy in bed. I really hope it happens for you soon Tabby.

Margaret, how are you feeling lately? Are you seeing any improvements? How did your husband's tooth get? Did he ever get it taken out? did you quit PT?

How are you Margaret I often think about you, I am doing realy well and my operation seems a life time ago now I have returned back to work,.mind you I am extremely tired when I get home, and I hate getting up at 5am and it's so dark now. Hope you are feeling better xx

LTKR 11 May 2016

Hi @sistersinhim
@Dawni I've been going through a bit of a bad patch, and feeling a bit anxious and frustrated, but it's improving again now. I think my ROM Is about 110, it's creeping up as the swelling goes down, but I'm still having problems with extension, it hurts to try and straighten, and I find standing really difficult and but that might be as much to do with weak muscles and the other knee as the new one.Walking is not so bad but I still need one crutch for support and after I've been on my feet for a bit I can feel it getting 'tight'. I do feel the RA is rearing its ugly head as I've been generally more achy all over. I think I underestimated how much of a detrimental effect it has on the joints, and the recovery from this surgery. I haven't finished pt officially, but the physio has been on holiday, and I haven't made another appointment yet, I'll have to pay extra now and I'm weighing up if it's worth it, or whether I should see what he thinks about how I'm doing (or not doing). 6 month appt with the boss is on 19th October.
Hubby's tooth is fine at the moment, it's a crown with only a little bit of tooth left underneath, and he's only going to get it pulled if the infection comes back. He's giving coconut oil pulling a try too, can't do any harm.
The bedroom's nearly finished, hubby ended up taking up the carpet, so it's taken longer than it would have otherwise. I'm glad to be rid of the carpet, it was a nightmare to get cat sick off :yikes:. We are going for a rustic look with painted floorboards, for now anyway. I've got to iron new net and curtains, but hopefully will be in my new bed by the weekend, I can't wait!
Thanks for your thoughtfulness, I do appreciate you and all my BoneSmart family.

What is coconut pulling? I've not heard of that. I'm so glad your hubby is feeling better. A tooth ache is a royal pain!
I can imagine the cat smell underneath the carpet. I've had a few mishaps through the years. There's a cat urine deodorizer called Stink Free that does a good job on the top, but if it gets all the way down, who knows. Your new bedroom sounds so exciting! Be sure and take lots of breaks from your ironing. That's a whole lot of standing. I don't think any of us can stand in one place for long. I haven't been able to in years.

Once upon a time I had a foster cat which the pet rescue convinced me to adopt because no one else would take her. I even made a picture album of her showing her having a relaxed time in my house. She was long haired and beautiful but very, very shy and would bite anyone who came near. At the end of her life she was peeing all around the litter box but not in it. I now have a wood floor in that room. I tried everything with little success to get the smell out. Now I am strictly a dog person.

@Foridagal, but, you can't take off for days and leave a dog in the house! You can cats. All you have to do is leave out enough food, water and litter and they'll be fine!

I agree cat wee is a nightmare to clean up. Wood floors are much easier. I don't know if you noticed my new avatar, it's Max totally mesmerised by a fly on the wall, he sat there for ages.
@sistersinhim oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic practice which involves swishing a spoonful of oil around your mouth for about 15 minutes then spit in the trash. It's supposed to be beneficial for teeth and gums, and absorbs bacteria in the mouth which can otherwise cause health problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Margaret. I have coconut oil. I use it for seasoning. I'm going to try the swishing it in my mouth.

@sistersinhim ok! Try it first thing in the morning, before food and drink. Start with a teaspoon and swish for 5 minutes to get used to it, you can increase amount and time later. Don't swallow! If my hubby can do it, anyone can. Now I'm going to make some Golden milk with turmeric paste, I wonder what it will be like :nah:or :yes!:
Watch this space...

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member