Lounge Doctor
Ask the Expert Webinar

THR Swollen ankle

jellyjoints

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all

My op went well and I'm 4 weeks into recovery. I've started Physio and was making good progress but I now have a painful heel and very swollen ankle on same side as THR. I'm still wearing a compression stocking and raking blood thinners so it isn't DVT. I'm icing it and raising leg is there anything else I should do? Is this normal?

Best
JJ

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Welcome to recovery @jellypoints .

It's not unusual to have a swollen ankle. As you start mobilizing more, gravity starts to have an effect and bruising and swelling go :downhill".

You're doing the right things in icing and elevating your leg. Make sure you ice and elevate for at lease 45 minutes at each session.

Also, make sure that you're not overdoing your activity. AT about 4 weeks, you're probably starting to feel better and be more active. Just check your activity level against the article in the recovery guidelines that I'll give you in my next post.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Going4fun

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
These kinds of weird side effects happen. My feet were sore as were my knees in the time right after my surgery. I felt odd stabbing sensations in my calves. Surgery disrupts a lot of traffic down there (not just in the hip) and the body is going into over time to make adjustments.

Of course, if anything feels excruciating then call your surgeon.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Hey there :wave:
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a great week. :)
@jellyjoints

OP
OP
J