BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

Swimming after surgery

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Jennszoo, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Jennszoo

Jennszoo

United States United States
    so how soon after surgery can you get in the pool? Even if not actual swimming laps, maybe just gentle walking or Aqua aerobics? I love the water, my knees always feel better after I'm in the pool. I'll miss it.

2. KarriB

KarriB Forum Advisor

I didn't go back to the pool until 8 months. Partly due to my complications and partly because I like to swim outside. It is very easy to over do things in the pool because the water acts as resistance and resistance isn't a good idea until 3-4 months. When I did go back it took me a few weeks to work up to my usual 15 laps because it felt really strange to kick with my TKR as well as feeling a bit of energy drain still. It's best to ask your OS what he thinks, but IMO I'd wait for 12 weeks/3 months.

3. Celle

Celle Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    You shouldn't go in any pool until your wound is completely healed, with no scabs or open areas at all. Sometimes, that takes a lot longer than you would like.
    If you go in sooner than that, you risk introducing infection, which you really need to avoid.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Jennszoo

Jennszoo

Boo! I'll miss the whole summer of outdoor swimming. And this definitely helps me plan for our sept vacation. About how long for the wounds to close up? My last surgery was my c/s and I had some drainage issues with that and still can't remember how long it took.

5. Celle

Celle Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm afraid that varies.
    Scabs can stay on for a long time - and it's a big mistake to try and pick them off.
    Have a look at some of the photos in this thread and you'll see a great variation in healing rates:
    Knee Scars - Post Your Badges of Honor Here! NO CHIT-CHAT please

6. wilsonma

wilsonma

Canada Canada
    I agree with Celle- it will vary. I was really looking forward to going in the pool but I had a stitch 'spit out". I didn't want to risk an infection, so had to wait quite a while till that disappeared (sorry- I can't remember exactly how long).

7. tgn

tgn

Australia Australia
    Interesting...

After my THR we were actively encouraged to go in a pool as part of rehab under PT supervision. This was after about 7 days and we were taken to the PT pool in wheel chairs.

I remember it was bliss entering the 30+ degree celsius water that first time...
    You HAD to have a Tegaderm dressing on which is totally waterproof and this was checked before entering the pool.

There were TKR patients there as well.

There were specific exercises in the water for THR or TKR patients.

The top of my incision didn't heal completely for about 2 months and I kept on using small Tegaderm dressings over it until the scab fell off. I was paranoid about getting an infection!

8. Celle

Celle Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    A special pool for PT therapy is a totally different prospect from a public swimming pool. There are probably much stricter regulations concerning water treatment for the PT therapy pool.
    To go into a public swimming pool before your wound is completely healed is most unwise.

9. Jennszoo

Jennszoo

Ok, booked our sept vacation, I should be 11w post knee #2 and hopefully healed up to swim. If not, I'll be chillaxing by the pool with a drink in hand.

10. KarriB

KarriB Forum Advisor

@Jennszoo your incision will most likely be healed enough to swim before 12 weeks, but whether your knee will feel well enough to swim is unknown. Someone may do fine swimming at 7 weeks post op, but not someone else. Every knee is different.

11. PolarBear60

PolarBear60 Forum Advisor

I started pool work at 2.5 months after my first knee. I could have started sooner incision-wise. The pool exercise that helped me most was gentle squats. I used the buoyancy of the water to help me get a good stretch as I practiced sitting and standing in the water. Be careful the first couple of times you go in the water to not overdo. Otherwise, have fun.

12. pdx

pdx

I started back as soon as my incision was healed. I had glue, not stitches, to it was pretty quick, six-ish weeks. Bliss!

13. Celle

Celle Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    If you're going to swim (as opposed to doing excises in the water) do avoid the traditional kicks in breaststroke - the frog kick, or the whip kick. They are very hard on the knees, even if you haven't had surgery.

14. smcsmc727

smcsmc727

I recently asked my doctor when I could get into a swimming pool and he said at 7 weeks it would be okay. That will be this coming Thursday. I plan on walking in the water, doing gentle supported squats, and see how it feels to swim a little. I had staples and the wound now looks pretty smooth.

• Like Like x 2
  15. KarriB

KarriB Forum Advisor

Just be careful, @smcsmc727 . It's very easy to over do in the water because you don't feel the result until night or the next day. Take it easy and build up slowly.