THR swimmer77 Recovery

Will you be able to return to your home full time soon? I stayed with a friend for the first few days, and have to say that even though she was wonderful, I really was eager to get back home. Once I returned home things really started to pick up for me. Just being in my own house was incredibly healing, and my restlessness leveled out. :flwrysmile:

Fortunately for me, I am staying at my parent's apartment which happens to be in our business building. I operate the family business so this has allowed me to work starting 2 days after surgery. Mind you I am not doing the physical work I normally would do but am able to maintain the accounting part of things.

Having said that I am very anxious to go home. My Dad did take me by my house so I could check on things and get the mail.

I am so very eager to drive and have a post op appointment Wednesday. Don't know if I will get the okay to drive or not. Is it conceivable to drive after only two weeks with a THR on the right? As mentioned before I am off the pain killers. I've practiced the motion of hitting the gas and moving to the brake pedal. My car seat moves pretty far back and allows me room to get in. And, I am not driving a Smart Car nor do I have Monster Truck nor am I riding a horse!

I'm glad you had a chance to check in at home. :SUNsmile: Hopefully you can make the move back soon, but I do see where staying there with your family has given you access to support, a driver, and a chance to do a bit of work as well.

At my two week follow up of my right hip replacement, I was given the OK to drive, as I was no longer on pain meds except for Tylenol and an occasional Tramadol at night. Getting in and out was the only hard part, but it was manageable. I believe this 2 week approval was soon compared to most people---but at this point I was walking well, rarely using my cane, and since I had been unable to take strong narcotics for pain, my system was pretty cleared of drugs. I didn't drive often, or longer distances until closer to 3 1/2 or 4 weeks. So maybe/maybe not on the approval for driving at 2 weeks. The first couple of times I went, I took a friend in case I struggled, and I didn't get into much traffic---don't think I'd have had the confidence right away to jump out in traffic.

Good luck with your appointment---sounds like you are doing great!:loveshwr:

2 week post op follow up today. I am so fortunate. My knee is more sore than the brand new hip. I am not concerned because it gets better each day but admittedly I did not anticipate a temporarily bum knee.

Cleared to drive. It doesn't hurt despite being my right side. I am not ready for long drives but I can get to and from work, go to the grocery store and go for a beer. :beer:

I am at home for the first time in a couple of weeks. Just that does plenty for my psyche. I look around at everything that needs to be done inside and outside. I think why did I wait so long. Can't wait to delve into the "house" projects with no pain.:spin:

And special thanks to my caregivers. I don't know that the "journey" could have been any better. That would be my advice to those in pre op. I looked at the whole process as just another "journey". Embrace the new experience(s). I swear it did me wonders. And this forum played an important role in the "journey".:friends:

And last but not least.............I can swim in two weeks.:dancy:

Wait..........last but not least. Maybe my Doc. Thanks for restoring order and giving me the opportunity to enjoy the simple things again. :yes!:

Cleared to drive. It doesn't hurt despite being my right side. I am not ready for long drives but I can get to and from work, go to the grocery store and go for a beer
Well, these things are important!:)

I am at home for the first time in a couple of weeks. Just that does plenty for my psyche.
It really does!

I look around at everything that needs to be done inside and outside. I think why did I wait so long.
Tough tookie, now ya got to wait.:umm:

Can't wait to delve into the "house" projects with no pain
Well, tough tookie, ya gotta wait.:)

And this forum played an important role in the "journey"
So glad we are sharing your journey.

And last but not least.............I can swim in two weeks.
:swim: Yay!
Wait..........last but not least. Maybe my Doc.
Felt EXACTLY the same.
Nice to be hip pain free!!!!:yahoo:

Great news---you are driving, and you are home AND you can get to the grocery store and grab a beer---If you lived nearby, I'd join you for a beer:) :cheers: Just be sure you are basking in being home, but not overdoing. Plenty of time for that later!

Good news @swimmer77
My knee was more sore than my hip also. Bruised a bit too.
I'll bet it feels good to be home. I know you're back to work already and feel you can handle it, but
please take time to rest also as your body heals and you look forward to that first swim.
Have a nice weekend!

Beginning my fourth week of recovery today. I'm still on crutches primarily because of my knee. However, each day the knee gets a little bit better. I do test it at home and can walk some steps pretty comfortably without crutches but then the pain flares up and it's back on crutches. I'd rather be on crutches and practice my gait than be limping around like I have already done for a few years. As long as it keeps improving I'm okay with it for now. The hip feels good as best as I can tell. Some tightness in the thigh and every now and then a pain somewhere but nothing that lasts.

I believe when I was limping my toes had a tendency to angle out. I'm really concentrating on pointing the toes straight ahead and frankly I feel less pain when I concentrate and do that. Anybody else have any input on that?

Anyway, the assistant to the surgeon said my incision looked "beautiful". Isn't that some sort of oxymoron? :what:

I went to the grocery store and was successful in NOT knocking anything over. Steering a cart with one crutch is not my forte.

Visited the local social club and twice my crutches fell over. Not sure what their problem is. I'm the one drinking a beer, not them.:scratch:

Fortunately, (or unfortunately) I live close to work. So I've been going in for a couple of hours in the morning and then leave to rest, elevate and ice and still work on the computer. Repeat in the afternoon.

A couple of people came in our store and had their own "hip" stories. Both involved dislocation which terrifies me. I was glad to hear the stories because they served as stern reminders of the things that I still need to be doing.

And last but not least - one week until I can swim again. My knee and hip can't wait either. :swim:

Best wishes to everyone else recovering. May everything get sorted out with a positive outcome.

Swimmer,

You sound like you are doing great - I especially like your successful effort to get off narcotics quickly! I have always felt this is under discussed.

You will be off assisting devices very quickly - think how incredible this is!

Okay, I am getting impatient. Started week five today. Still meandering around on crutches primarily because of my knee. Pain is on the outside. Anxious to get back to the OS because I don't quite know how to treat it. I've just been resting as much as possible and ice and elevate. Pain is on the outside of knee. Sometimes is just feels like severe stiffness as opposed to real pain. Don't know if I should push it or not. Maybe gets a bit better each day but I guess I want it to be better super fast. LOL

My brand new hip probably wonders why this "old man" knee can't get its act together. Stopped my aspirin and Tylenol regimen. Will try some Advil for the knee if need be. It has gotten better. I remember the first week or so it hurt badly just to swing my operated leg into bed because of my knee.

Other than a bum knee I'm sleeping a bit more comfortably. Can't you tell? That's why I am up posting at almost midnight. :unsure:Can sleep better on my non-op side at least.

Planning to start swimming on Saturday. Hopefully, that will put things on a better track.

You are at the stage where I became impatient, too. But the knee and inflamed soft tissues don't care about our impatience.. we just need to wait it out. Overall you sound like you're doing really well.
Usually, when the lateral side of the thigh and knee hurt, it's due to a extra tight iliotibial band. Mine was crazy tight on this latest recovery and is just now beginning to ease up at 12 weeks, and you are just beginning week 5.

Most of the time it's reacting to possibly overdoing some activity. Just something to think about.
I wonder if the surgeons ever feel badly about how pained and swollen they make our knees?
Probably not since we do recover and can walk and sleep without pain!!!

I think the swimming will be a great addition, I think I tried it around week 7 or 8 and it did help the stiffness and overall tightness of the entire thigh.

Wishing you continued success in your recovery. :flwrysmile:

images (1).jpeg

One month down!
Hope your weekend is Sweet!

Happy Friday and Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you enjoy your swim tomorrow. You'll have to tell us about it soon.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend!
@swimmer77

Hello @swimmer77 My knee is killing me too! (post-op week 2 today!!) Pre-op my knee at times was so off that I wondered if I had OA there as well (nope- just lots of secondary changes down the chain) When I got home from the hospital (the day after surgery) my knee was just as swollen as my hip! Still feeling it most when I do my "laps" around the house!

Hey @swimmer77
Happy Two Month Anniversary to you!
Sure hope you're doing well.
Next time you're around consider leaving an update. We'd love to hear how the swimming is going and of the progress you're making.
A great week to you!

@Layla .................Haha.........thought about that yesterday - two months - time just flies. Thank You!

I have been doing well. A big thanks to this forum and its sharing of information and experiences. During my post op I have gone back and reviewed (still do) materials and many times it reassured me that I am on the right track.

Every week gets better. Each week I can do something else and/or at least do something better/easier than the week before. I can now go up steps with alternating steps and without hanging on for dear life. My handrail and bannister are grateful for that. They were getting quite a work out.

But the strangest thing happened. I had a post op appointment in the morning a few weeks ago. That morning I was trotting around the house like I did twenty years ago - no pain anywhere. That didn't last long though and after the appointment it was back to the same knee pain. Started to wonder how powerful my OS may be though. LOL

He observed my gait and said I walk with "something going on the right side, not a waddle, not much of a limp but something." We discussed the knee pain, which has been getting better every week, and he said it could take 3 to 4 months for it to fully heal. He didn't seem concerned and explained that it his job to try to put things back to the "old normal" except he never really knew what that was. LOL

I'm confident I could not walk a mile without getting pain in my knee right now but as long as I can do more each week then I am content for now. Swimming has been a help. To clarify I did more swimming laps than walking in the pool. Felt odd getting turned around because I am still obeying the basic rules: no twisting, no past 90 degrees, and no crossing legs.

I have been back to work full time for a few weeks now and my work day allows me to get about 6000 steps in. Started with some very light Zumba yesterday. Afterwards I rested, elevated and iced. No soreness today.

All in all I can't complain. Had down days but less and less to virtually non-existent now. I was really ticked at myself a month ago though. I went to the club and saw an acquantaince. At the time I was still using crutches. He observed and made the comment "you should be getting around better." For some reason that got to me. So my advice to others: don't listen to a used car salesman. LOL

To everyone else recovering now or in the future: use this forum. It has been terrific. And may all of your recoveries get you back to where you want to be.

Sorry for being longwinded. LOL

@swimmer77 wow, Happy Two Month Anniversary! Really good update, you're definitely making progress and keeping a realistic outlook through it all.

Already being back to work full time and a couple of weeks ago, you're really moving right along. And doing Zumba?! I've been wanting to go try a class at our gym but just don't think I could hang for a whole class. They have a different teacher than before so maybe I should go sit in on one of her classes to see how energetic she is.

I've had to learn to ignore others ideas of where they think I should be in my recovery. My hubs has been great about reminding me I'm still early on and my BFF had her knee done about 6 months ago so she gets it, everyone else pretty much not! :heehee:

@swimmer77 wow, Happy Two Month Anniversary! Really good update, you're definitely making progress and keeping a realistic outlook through it all.

Already being back to work full time and a couple of weeks ago, you're really moving right along. And doing Zumba?! I've been wanting to go try a class at our gym but just don't think I could hang for a whole class. They have a different teacher than before so maybe I should go sit in on one of her classes to see how energetic she is.

I've had to learn to ignore others ideas of where they think I should be in my recovery. My hubs has been great about reminding me I'm still early on and my BFF had her knee done about 6 months ago so she gets it, everyone else pretty much not! :heehee:

Oh no..............I didn't go full Zumba workout. Only did 15 minutes worth and I could hear/feel my knee sayin' "um, we are soon done, right?" LOL

Just wanted to try some stuff and start to work back towards what I was doing before which was about 30 minutes with a bum hip.

And yes.........only those of us who have been through it get it which is human nature I guess.

And..........I hope you are doing well too. It is a journey.

What a nice 2 month update, and I especially liked your advice to us, when you said "don't listen to a used car salesman" about our hip recoveries. :rotfl: But seriously, I'm sorry he made you feel like you weren't doing well enough. Sadly I think most of us have had that moment on some level.

So you did a bit of Zumba? I bet it felt so good to you. You have a good attitude.
Can't wait to read your next update!

Glad the swimming is helping. I am now addicted to it and it is helping me greatly one year out. I haven’t been able to kick for years but since the hip op things have really improved. Using it for toning rather than weight loss but it certainly helps with stiffness.
Zumba? There’s a thought!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks