Lounge Doctor
Ask the Expert Webinar

THR SwimHip's September THR Pre-Op Thread

SwimHip

Country
United States United States
This is the countdown to Hip #2, scheduled for 9/2. Right total hip on 3/13/20 went well. Focusing on being healthy and in the best shape possible as I approach #2. I know every hip is different, but hoping next time goes as well as the first. For any of you who’ve had a second THR, how did it differ, if at all? @Sunbeam62, we share the same upcoming date. My well wishes to you!

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @SwimHip - and :welome:

I have moved your post, above, from the September Sapphires surgery team thread and started a pre-op thread for your September THR.

This is where you should talk to other people anticipating surgery around the same time as you are, because the monthly team threads are essentially just a list, so you can see who's having surgery close to your date. So things don't get too cluttered with chat, we have designated these threads to be non-chat threads.

So that policy is made more obvious, I have added the following paragraph to the post we send to you to confirm that your name is on the surgery list:

(Please remember that the team club is primarily to allow you to see who has surgery the same month as you. Discussion of issues, comments, and questions regarding surgery must be kept in your individual surgery threads.)

I hope you get some responses to your post. There aren't many people on the September list yet, but numbers will increase as August continues.

Best wishes.

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
@SwimHip what a great essay question! My second was, in my memory anyway, much easier than the first. Same surgeon and hospital, different brand hardware with very different cup shape (sort of a scooped-in button mushroom cap as opposed to a very open hemisphere) no idea why. Different assistant (assuming the PA assisted as with the first), slightly shorter surgery. More pain on waking, less throwing up with fewer drugs. Blood pressure stayed up (dang). Easier first walk, hip felt solid and stable immediately, to the point where the nurses were scolding me for walking unaccompanied. We came to an agreement that I wouldn't sue them if I fell :snork:
I knew to refuse in home PT, knew that no matter how carefully I phrased my request for a home nurse with No Scented Personal Products I would get one who stanketh, and I was right.
Ditched the walker immediately on trying to drag it up the steps to the bathroom, I felt that solid. We'd moved to a small split level, and there was really no place for a walker to be of use. It was a doorway, stairs, or furniture al over the place.
Stopped the percocet at 2 weeks because I was (as it turned out) having a bad reaction to the meloxicaM. Figured that out, and thankfully went back to a little percocet at strategic moments. Less constipation maybe.
Hip felt better sooner than #1 overall. Now, of course, they each have different personalities but are equally solid!
I wasn't nearly as wiped out, picked up my flute in just a few days post op. Flew from VA to Boston, then bussed to Cape Cod, at 5 weeks, to play at MIL's memorial service. Could never have done that with the first.
Not being as wiped out meant that I didn't watch a lick of Netflix or Amazon. Mr ZF never had to fix supper after a couple of days.
I did litter boxes earlier but with a major accommodation-- there were two scary brick steps involved with that at each house, but for #2 I would have to carry a full litter box down them then up them. We had a portable wheelchair ramp which we laid over the steps, and that helped with groceries too! And I drove sooner.

Gotta say, not everybody gets their easier hip second! I will probably have major paybacks if it comes to knees....

Eman85

post-grad
Country
My right was completely different than my left. Same surgeon, same approach and my right was supposed to be a chip shot compared to my left. For whatever reason my right felt different and had different pains than the left. Right had log leg, left never did. With my left I could easily do leg lifts the day after surgery, with the right it took weeks to do a leg lift. At 6 weeks I could wash my feet and tie my shoes. With the right I had a persistent pain in the glutes and still feel it a little.

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
No two hips are the same through recovery but that does not mean that it will be worse than the first. I worried that I used up all my luck having good recoveries with my knees and one hip already but it was useless worry. My second hip with the same surgeon and hospital went even better since now I knew what to expect for a hip recovery. Slow and steady and careful was my mantra. I followed the bonesmart philosophy again and got through recovery. Of course, there are always those bad moments but that is part of recovery. Ice and elevation are my favorite things to help with recovery. Now at 8m I can walk as much as I want, garden, mow the lawn, swim, do anything I want without pain.

OP
OP
S

SwimHip

Country
@zauberflöte, thank-you for your response. I am hoping for an uneventful post-op. With the first hip, the most amazing thing to me was waking up without any nausea. Pain was minimal. I am impressed with your travel at 5 weeks post-surgery. Special circumstances; I’m glad you were able to be there. I plan to travel cross-country for Thanksgiving. Ah yes, litter boxes. I enlisted help early on. Couldn’t bend, but at some point (2-3 weeks?) I figured out a move where I extended my operative leg behind me and bent the other at the knee. That maneuver served me well, as did that indispensable reacher/grabber. I will be looking forward to outpatient PT. An opportunity to get out of the house.

OP
OP
S

SwimHip

Country
@Eman85, I appreciate your input, particularly your ability to tie your shoes and wash your feet at 6 weeks. My big achievement was duct taping my razor to a toothbrush as an extension, sitting in my shower chair in the bathtub and propping my legs up on the edge of the tub and shaving them. I think it was somewhere around 2-3 weeks.

OP
OP
S

SwimHip

Country
@leejaa, thank-you. There is definitely Something to be said for knowing what to expect. I will have the same surgeon and surgery center. I’m actually hoping I have the same anesthesiologist. I appreciate your reminder that bad moments are just part of recovery.

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
Okay @SwimHip PLEASE tell me you did not pick up errant cat poops with your grabber :yikes:

Your "op leg extended behind, front leg bent" was a position I practised for nearly two years so I could feed the cats post op second hip. They take watered down canned food, a spoon at a time so I have a chance of keeping the grabby one's nose out of the slow one's bowl. The position worked well for stuff on the bottom shelf at the grocery store too.

A Thanksgiving trip sounds lovely! Start thinking now about how to carry ice. All that sitting may be a pain in the butt!

cstinchcomb

Country
My hips were 6 years apart from one another, different state/surgeon/hospital -- same direct anterior approach but an entirely different setting. Given the time between them, I don't know how useful this is. Then again, you'll have 6 months between yours ... I'm 10 weeks out from Hip no. 2, so I've been thinking about these comparisons and I wrote about some of the details in my recovery thread.

At 6 months after hip no. 1, I was back at pretty much full activity and would have thought at the time that I was done healing up, even though in retrospect I think that complete recovery takes a full year.

I had some sensations in Hip No. 1 early on in this second recovery, (mostly in the area of my acetabulum), presumably from the manipulations done during the surgery itself. So I iced my back along with everything else ...

I hope that someone who had their hips done pretty much back to back will post here. There's someone who had Hip No. 1 at the beginning of June and their second at the end of July ...

One more thing. If I had a road trip upcoming in a week or two, I don't think my hip would be a problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SwimHip

Country
@zauberflöte, you made me laugh. If had occasion to pick up cat poop with the grabber, I would use something (paper towel?) between the grabber and said “errant cat poop,” then disinfect the grabber with something like a Clorox Wipe. Anxiously awaiting that item being plentiful again.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hey...a cheap sandwich baggy - the kind that just has flaps -might work and then you can inside out it. Maybe?
There are some very cheap picker uppers that you could get to just have a dedicated poop picker upper.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
It is possible to buy long-handled pooper-scoopers.

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
Mojo, Celle, we are mostly joking! Healthy cats put the poop in the litter box 99.99999% of the time

Scooping a cat box can be done with the golfer's reach if the cat box corner is big enough.:meow:

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
Celle. TWELVE? We think we've had plenty at 7 in 40 years of marriage, the first twO of which came with us at the beginning. You are a superstar!

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
There are long handled pooper scooters and are much easier on you than doing the golfers reach. Did the golfers reach after my back surgery but ordered the long handled scooper for my hip. Knew hubby would tire of scooping boxes pretty quickly so I was prepared! :heehee:

OP
OP
S

SwimHip

Country
lol, everyone. I just might have to visit PetCo or Petsmart for a long handled scooper. @Elf1, last time around, my husband was helpful when pressed into service, but otherwise oblivious to what needed to be done.

Hip4life

graduate
Country
This is such an entertaining tangent here. I have to confess something. After scooping our litter boxes for most of 40 years (also 7 so far @zauberflöte ) my husband and occasionally my son took over scooping for our current 2 during my hip recovery. Lucky gal that I am (lol) they have continued even when I have offered. My husband really has taken my “lifer” hip precautions to heart. Who’s to argue? :loll:

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
doxie girl
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom