THR Swelling

:hi: What a healthy attitude.
I wish you all the best going forward.
Stop back often, we'd love to follow your progress.
I hope you have a lovely week!
@Heylila

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well. We'd love to hear from you next time you stop by.
Have a wonderful Summer as you continue on your healing journey. :flwrysmile:
@Heylila

Yes! Hi @Heylila You are on the right track.. I hope you can stay positive and trust in your faith and let the P. therapy help your body adjust. I so agree with everything @Bfam85 posted here to you. Time is truly on your side in this situation and you are really early in your healing phase.
I wish for you peace while you heal and wait. :flwrysmile: I hope you read through the links that were left for you. they can be very comforting to read and re-read when it's late and you're tired or feeling down.

Hi, just wanted to report that my therapy is helping but not as much as I had hoped. I just spent 2 weeks on a roadtrip along the Pacific Northwest and I did pretty good. But sadly, I hate walking because of my leg differences. I used to love to go for walks. Still not sure I made the right Choice in having the RHR. But cant go back, now, can I.

I'm wishing for you peace of mind while you heal and continue your therapy. I'd be worried, too. So I don't want to downplay it. But it is still very early into your healing stages.. try to do things to keep your spirits up and please keep us posted. I am so hoping for a happy end result for you. :flwrysmile:

@Heylila I so feel your discouragement and disappointment....and I am so very sorry you are feeling that way right now....While I don't know your body or your replacement, I believe that you will still have significant improvement on the LLD...I remember when I went to Cape May in early June, I was very uncomfortable walking with my family...it is so much better now than it was then. You are still very, very early going....There is a wonderful woman on this forum named @Hoppy Nanny … she can tell you how she struggled with it for months and now she is perfect, with 2 new hips to boot! I truly hope this helps. I can feel your frustration, as I have also had it....If you didn't experience it yourself, folks just cannot understand how bad it feels....Thankfully, at least, there are those of us here that understand. If you just want to "talk it out", this forum is a very safe place for you to do that. xox

Hi there @Heylila
Please don’t feel that this is how you will be.... this is just all part of this THR rollercoaster recovery.
Like @Bfam85 said (not the wonderful woman bit [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] but thanks darling) My first THR was the same as you are experiencing... they said I had LLD because I was limping badly... measured no LLD!!! It took some months before I felt that I had no difference...walking just didn’t feel right at all... BUT eventually it all went back to normal ... I’m 6 years post first THR (which was a slow recovery... full of different pains & ups & downs) and the hip is still great.

I went back on my old thread and have screenshot my comment at 11 weeks post op... ( below) hope this helps my love... it is a exercise on extreme patience.... but it will get better... take care & keep on believing [emoji3059][emoji3059][emoji3059]

a2cfe7bfbca57487d45842883e1beb3c.jpg

Love Chrissie x[emoji3590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi @Heylila
Wondering how your therapy is going and if you're noticing any change with the LLD?
We'd love to read a progress report from you, so please leave one if you have time next time you drop by the forum. I hope you're enjoying the Summer! :wave:

Thank you all for the kind and encouraging words. I am starting to see the changes you all have been telling me about. I definitely will have a lift, probably forever but I am starting to feel a difference. Therapy is working on the extreme tight muscles. I am getting stronger and walking is getting a little easier. I did get released today to return to work next Monday.
My walk is still stiff and I struggle with my surgery leg stretching behind me. This is a main reason I walk funny. But I keep doing my exercises and stretches so hopefully it will continue to improve.
Again, thanks.

I am curious. I started working again this past Monday. I have a job with standing and sitting, walking and some bending. I am so exhausted. How long will it take to get my stamina for work back. My PT could definitely feel the tightness working had created in my muscles yesterday. She changed therapy to include ultrasound since some spots were excruciating to gently touch.

I had the same problem after my first hip replacement. Used a shoe insert for awhile. My other hip needed replacement, too, and afterward the problem went away.

@Heylila, are you doing a phased return to work? Sometimes just taking a little break and going home early might help you adjust. With my first hip I was able to grab little naps and ice a bit on my lunch break, and this was on top of doing a phased return.
I'm including a link for you to read about a phased return.. good luck.. :) :-) (:

Last edited:
Hi @Heylila
If it's possible, when you get home from work, try to refrain from doing much else aside from resting until you build up more strength and stamina. You'll get there eventually. Three months post op is still early in the whole scheme of things. Wishing you a peaceful relaxing weekend. :)

I am wondering how long to expect swelling in my RHR leg? It isnt a huge amount but I am at 4 months post OP and do have some swelling. TIA

Hello @Heylila
You'll notice that I have merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. It's still part of documenting your recovery.

For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on. PLease will you do that?

I am wondering how long to expect swelling in my RHR leg? It isnt a huge amount but I am at 4 months post OP and do have some swelling.
Hip replacement is a major surgery and full recovery takes a long time. I think it's normal to still have some swelling. It will decrease gradually as time passes. There's no set time by which swelling should be completely gone.

Does icing and elevating help at all?

I'm curious how much/what type of swelling you are experiencing? Is it possible that the PT you are doing is aggravating the tissue and not giving it a chance to settle down and heal? Just a thought? Have you considered stopping PT for a few weeks and just icing, resting, walking, and taking your tylenol/whatever other pain meds you use? Sometimes it just takes a little bit to tip the scales to too much. :flwrysmile:

:hi: @Heylila
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well and enjoying the weekend.
Please don't be a stranger here and leave us an update when you stop by.
We'd love to follow your progress. Happy Saturday! :SUNsmile:

Well, i went to PT yesterday feeling low. Weather made me feel so bad. But my PT made a comment about how much better I am walking. She noticed i got out of the chair much easier. Still extreme muscle tightness which causes pain but that too is getting better. I get measured for my orthotic lift this upcoming Tuesday. That is exciting to me. Just wanted to share some good news.

Hello and Happy Saturday to you!
Thanks for sharing the wonderful news with us. I'm very happy for you as I'm sure others will be. We're on this journey together, we understand the highs and lows. Keep it up, you're doing great!
A wonderful weekend to you. :)
@Heylila

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties