THR Swelling

Heylila

Country
United States United States
My right leg is longer now and it is causing me pain. Back pain, outer hip pain, achy thigh. I am getting discouraged and I am not sure I made the right decision by having this done. I had hoped to have gotten rid of my limp. I see the Dr. on Monday afternoon. Do I need more time?

It's common to feel like one leg is longer than the other after THR. There's some information about that here:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/leg-length-differential-lld.6173/
Most people find that the feeling goes away within a few months. At six weeks, you're still somewhat early in recovery. I know it may not feel that way, but this is major surgery, right?

So, yes, I do think you need more time. Also, since you said you'll be seeing your doc on Monday, why not ask? It's unlikely that you do have one leg that is longer, but it might be reassuring to hear that from him.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

@Heylila
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!

Here is your copy of the Hip Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

:wave:@Heylila
:welome:to BoneSmart.

Would you please leave the date of your surgery and which hip was replaced so we can add it to your signature?
This is helpful for others to see where you are in recovery, and you can see where others are in theirs. You will see that many are where you are as this recovery does take time.
If you look at the recovery guidelines you will find lots of great advice and tips and could it be possible you have overdone things a bit. That will surely cause some additional aches and pains.
Ice is the greatest thing for new hips so these early days, baby that hip and keep the ice going.:ice:
Keep the faith...things do get better.

Where would I leave my information as you ask?

@Heylila
Right here!
Just post and we will get it fixed for you.:)

Hi, Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us.
I'm sorry you're struggling with the uncomfortable sensation of LLD. Hopefully your doctor will be able to offer you some reassurance next week.

In regard to the limp, if you're not using an assistive device it's recommended you do until you're no longer limping. Try heel-toe walking, it helps in losing the limp. Let your heel hit the ground first, followed by toes. It can feel unatural to some initially, but with a concentrated effort I believe you'll notice a difference.

Wishing you all the best at your appointment on Monday. Let us know how it goes.
Have a great weekend!
@Heylila

I had a superpath posterior total hip replacement on my right hip on May 21, 2019. Thank you.

Hi @Heylila I had my second hip done on April 29th, so I am about 3 weeks ahead of you. I had a pretty bad LLD in the beginning...it felt like I was taking a step down every time I would walk...very uncomfortable and difficult to stay balanced and walk with a good gait...since then, it has come down about halfway and my manual PT feels she will be able to get things in order for a complete level to my gait. I saw her for the first time this week and she said I had lots of spasms in my thigh plus my tailbone was stuck, most likely from being bounced around during surgery. So, patience is the prescription for you and me. It will get better. My OS told me that it will take time. I didn't want to hear it! Talk to yours about it. My further reading told me that sometimes they have to tighten the soft tissue around the new implant so that it stays put and won't dislocate, thereby causing a bit of an LLD...but that will all settle with time. Sigh....I hope this helps and don't be discouraged. BTW, all of your aches and pains could just be side effects of healing and not particularly from the LLD... (hugs)

Wanted to share after my doctor's appointment today. He believes a lot of my LLD is due to tight muscles and the need to loosen my hips. I will be starting PT to help. He feels by 3 months I should be feeling much better. The PT should help with all the aches and pain I am still feeling. I guess I will just keep working on getting rid of my limp. Thanks for all the help.

:hi:
Hope you are finding things are getting better by the week!
Your grands are adorable by the way...guessing you have something fun planned for the 4th!
Wishing you a good day!

Well, I started physical therapy today. She confirmed my leg is longer by almost 3/4 of an inch. My muscles are also very messed up and tight due to almost 9 years of limping. She thinks we can get them close but I may need a lift for the rest of life. I have a lot of work to do.
Thanks, my grand chilies are the best!
Happy 4th of July to all! Enjoy the day!

aww, i really feel for you here, my surgeon warned me that although he'd do his best, i might end up with a bit of a difference in length, and that if so, it would take some adjusting to. I'm pretty sure there's a difference, as it feels weird, like i'm stepping down to my unoperated leg. I know it feels weird and uncomfy right now, so i really hope that PT helps and you can get comfy again really soon x

Thanks. I left the PT feeling so down. But in the ride home, I had a conversation with God. I realized it could be so much worse. As bummed as I am, I have no more horrible groin and joint pain. I am going in the right direction, and I will adapt to whatever my future holds. I just pray my love can handle the changes.

:hi: God listens.
AND...these are early days..
So please try not to worry too much.
It is definitely a process, this recovery stuff...and I can tell you that 4 months was my biggest turnabout.
All well worth it, so keep the faith.:loveshwr:

Your grandchildren are adorable!
Thankfully through prayer / meditation you're feeling comforted and renewed.
You're blessed, and yes, there are many less fortunate.
Prayers PT is able to help you through your sessions with her. Please keep us posted.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
@Heylila

@Heylila I certainly wouldn't let that woman convince me that I may not be able to walk normally again. That is her opinion, and people (especially in her field) are fallible. If your surgeon measured your legs and they are even, there is no reason why with time things won't settle down and you will walk with barely any discrepancy. It was your surgeon who told you it will. Stick with his professional opinion.

Just within the past week, I have worked on myself, and I no longer limp! You mentioned God; Pray and ask Him to show you just what your body needs to stretch out those soft tissues gently over time. I too was very down about this in the beginning. It took lots of self-discipline to look at the bright side. While you're going through it, it's not fun, but it can and will get better. Walking and riding a stationery bike has also loosened things up for me.

Still very early days @Heylila ! You limped around for years so it is going to take some time to get those muscles and tendons toned again. Slow and steady. I'll bet the length difference feeling eases significantly once you start some gentle stretches.

Thank you all for the encouraging words. I realize that sometimes the negative thoughts take over. That's what has been happening. But you all made me realize, that's not who I am. I am a glass half full kind of girl. My faith is in God. I did lots of praying to get to this point, don't give up now. Time to get back to the prayers and meditation and the hard work needed to keep going forward!:wave:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mtcwp
Recent bookmarks