THR Swelling<

Hi, I know I have spoken about this before but it's not improving, my back pain is really getting me down now. It's fine when I'm sitting or lying down but when I'm walking around or standing it's really painful and stiff, I'm at my wits end now, I thought things were supposed to get easier!! No pain in hip just my back. If I bend forward slightly and stretch it out it feels a little better, but cos of restrictions I can't really do that can I? Someone mentioned the PSOAS muscle. Can anyone on here help me?

Sorry to hear your back is bothering you. Can’t give any advice, but I’ll send wishes for it to be on it’s way. My pain travels it seems. For me it’s posture related and favoring old good side out of habit. Hope it’s temporary. ❤️

Your day of gardening sounds like way too much for you right now - you should really pace yourself :heehee::heehee:

I really feel for you with your back. I have had two back surgeries for slipped discs and currently have one bulging apparently but knock on wood :headbang: my back has not been bothering me at all. I would suspect posture first; are you still mostly on the walker? If so, you might be ready for the cane and therefore be more upright. Check where you are sitting to see if you have a sizeable hollow behind your back; if so tuck a little cushion or a folded towel to fill that space. Are you sleeping on your back still? If so, put a pillow under your knees and if sleeping on your side ask hubby to tuck a pillow firmly into your back so you are supported without your body making that effort. Try stretches by reaching for the sky one arm at a time. A great PT exercise I was given following back surgery for general aching was to put my finger tips on a window sill for balance and raise on tip toes, hold to the count of 3-5 and lower. Repeat 5 times. Keep good posture when doing that. Not sure is any of this will help you but I sure hope something does. Back pain is exhausting!

I'm glad I happened upon this thread tonight. had right hip replaced 12 days ago and my right foot is completely swollen to the point of not being able to get my shoe on.

Your day of gardening sounds like way too much for you right now - you should really pace yourself :heehee::heehee:

I really feel for you with your back. I have had two back surgeries for slipped discs and currently have one bulging apparently but knock on wood :headbang: my back has not been bothering me at all. I would suspect posture first; are you still mostly on the walker? If so, you might be ready for the cane and therefore be more upright. Check where you are sitting to see if you have a sizeable hollow behind your back; if so tuck a little cushion or a folded towel to fill that space. Are you sleeping on your back still? If so, put a pillow under your knees and if sleeping on your side ask hubby to tuck a pillow firmly into your back so you are supported without your body making that effort. Try stretches by reaching for the sky one arm at a time. A great PT exercise I was given following back surgery for general aching was to put my finger tips on a window sill for balance and raise on tip toes, hold to the count of 3-5 and lower. Repeat 5 times. Keep good posture when doing that. Not sure is any of this will help you but I sure hope something does. Back pain is exhausting!
Hi Carriemay, I think it's to do with posture too, I never had a walker, I was given 2 crutches and I now use just the one but I think I will try the cane for a while, I'm still sleeping on my back so will try the pillow under knees. Thank you for the exercise suggestions, I will definitely try them. I just seem to be going backwards now. First 4 weeks were good but now it's stalled and I'm having these back issues :bawl:. I hope your day is good .

@ I had a sore back after walking for around 3 months or so as I steadily got better. It all got much better as my posture improved.
Thank you HertsHippy, I'm hoping this gets better the same as yours did

I'm glad I happened upon this thread tonight. had right hip replaced 12 days ago and my right foot is completely swollen to the point of not being able to get my shoe on.

I was warned about the swelling but foolishly didn't realise it would be really painful. No one actually tells you that you are going to be in a lot of pain post op. Hope you are feeling a little better. It's very early days for you so be kind to yourself

Hello, would it be possible to get some advice from @Josephine . My back doesn't seem to improving. After being on my feet for just a short time by back is really stiff and painful, I am now 7 weeks post op so surely this should be getting better by now , I'm getting very concerned over this now. I am on one crutch .

I am almost 12 weeks out from surgery and went from almost walking without my cane in the house to using 2 canes and occasionally the Rollator walker again. I find the 2 canes keeps me upright, no limps or pain. Usually its just getting out of bed to the BR and at the end of the day. I then feel stretched out enough to walk with the one cane again but remember the feeling of walking with nothing in the house for a minute max. Each day seems to be getting better and then like @Mojo333 says you have a period of recovery that is not a straight line. My good knee has started acting up and I couldn't weight bear for a few days. This threw me for a loop as they say but it did show me how strong my R hip is doing as it became my 'good leg'. Just getting the pain under control so am using as many aids as I need during the day until the pain in the knee stops. So its a roller coaster and will get better. Good luck with the swelling and back pain!

@orange Perhaps you would show me the site of your pain using this chart

aa hip-references-horz.jpg

After that, I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

Hi @Josephine yes I am willing to answer any questions you may have. The areas of pain are.....L3B (R) and R3B (R)

So your pain is here?
orange.jpg

That would be sacro-iliace pain and most likely nothing to do with your hip(s)

@orange I have chronic lower back issues and saw an osteopath post LTHR. The do very gentle positions and mine also did acupuncture. Sometimes back issues flare a bit post THR.

Osteopath, as Jaycey says, or I always prefer to see a chiropractor.
But both are two sides of the same coin!

Thank you so much Jaycey, I'll have a look into osteopath.

Thank you Josephine

It's unnecessary to quote a post just to reply to it. Just scoot on down to the bottom of the page where it says "write your reply" and start typing! Unless there is some specific phrase you want to address, of course - like I just did! Then do it like this How to quote a post.

write your reply.JPG

Thanks for understanding! :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties