THR Swelling<

Early days dear @orange
It does get better and you will get your life back!
A new and improved orange!
:tada:
Healing hugs:roseshwr:

So true about the soft sell. Many friends assume I’m out running now, as people repeat nonsense stories about how easy hip replacements are. We all know this is no picnic and if we don’t our bodies sure do let us know when they’re done. My face is always pale, but first two weeks looked like death. Even lips white. Hope you feel better soon. ❤️

My face is always pale, but first two weeks looked like death. Even lips white. Hope you feel better soon. ❤️

Sorry, this made me laugh. I felt the same and it wasn't too many days in (about 5) that I started
applying minimal make-up most days because it made me feel better! The pale, bedhead look gets old when you catch a glimpse of yourself in the bathroom mirror several times a day :yikes: Hubs used to grab a big mirror for me and slant it at the perfect angle so I could blow dry my hair from the recliner. After all I didn't have much else to do in those early days, may as well look presentable sitting in my recliner. :heehee:

:hi: @orange
Hope you are settling into the hurry up and wait recovery routine.
All temporary and we'll worth the struggles.
Healing hugs coming your way!:console2:

Pain in leg and swelling finally going down , I'll be honest in the fact that I have done very little since the operation, after reading Layla information about hips healing on their own, I do sitting exercises I walk to the bathroom etc but nothing over the top, and every day I can see a difference, so thank you. Today I did a few steps with just one crutch instead of 2 .. go me... still a bit worried about putting full weight on that leg so tend to lean a little but I guess this will come with time. Off all meds apart from parecetamol. I really want to bend forward to stretch my back out but know I can't, but so far I am impressed how much easier I feel from doing very little.

Second trip to the surgery today to see the nurse, not quite as stressed as last time, I had my staples out today, thought it was going to hurt but didn't ( apart from one that got stuck to the dressing ...ouch ouch ) No more doctors or nurses untill my 3 month mark . Hope you are all having a good day

Great news on staples out. I'll bet that's a relief.
Happy Two Week Anniversary!
You're on your way. :happydance: Enjoy the rest of the day :SUNsmile:
@orange

Yay!:ok:Staples out:yes!:
Continued best wishes for healing...

Hi, all. Still taking it slow, gentle walks around the house up and down the stairs, tidying up with my grabber, but the chair I have been given to sit in is sooooo uncomfortable, occupational therapy loaned me one, it's the same as the ones by patients beds in hospitals, so my question is, when can I sit in my comfortable armchair? When I'm downstairs I find myself looking longingly at it . It's a recliner but it's a manual one so I know I can't use the recliner part because it's quite stiff to push down but when can I sit in it again?

If your recliner is not too soft or too low you can use it. If you need extra support but a firm cushion on it.

Just wanted to say thank you to this amazing site!!!!! I thought I should be further along in my recovery after listening to friends and other people that have had a thr, " oh you'll be fine, you'll be up and back to normal really quickly" I think these people forget the early days after the op, the pain the swelling, the mobility issues etc. Then I found this site, and put very simply, we are still healing 12 months after op, so the fact that I am only 18 days post op, I now realise how far I have come in such a short time but know there is a long way to go too. I couldn't have done this without this site, putting me at ease over my worries, reading other people's recovery threads. It has helped immensely. Still haven't plucked the courage up to sit in my comfy armchair though, and getting very uncomfortable in bed because I keep wanting to turn over but know I can't . Happy Easter everyone

Hi, @orange, I'm a day younger than you hip-wise, but quite a bit older in real years :loll: and agree with you about how helpful this site has been. Even though I have a UK nursing background, I still needed lots of support in the first week after discharge. Now I have to be very careful not to join the 'over-doing it' club!!
Like you, I'm only taking paracetamol during the day, with 30mgs Codeine Phosphate added at night, and managing constipation with prunes!!

I find that, being a morning person, that's the time that I can do too much pottering about to 'tidy up' as the 2 men in the house don't even notice the mess:bawl:.

I also have 3 different places that I sit during the day- a recliner with a thick foam pad on it to make it higher for sitting and getting up, a chair in the kitchen with arms and a chair with arms near my computer table - I carry a round foam cushion on the seat of my wheeled walker between these 2 chairs!
I was sent home with 2 walking sticks and I use these around the house, the wheeled walker is left over from 2014 when my husband fractured his pelvis, as is the foam cushion.
I also go back to bed and read with my legs elevated for a couple of hrs each day--it's getting easier to stay awake during this time! (and I found myself desperate to lie on my side last night at midnight 'cos of restless legs, but the feeling passed and I went to sleep in my back)
I see my surgeon at 6 weeks post op so hope he will say I can side sleep & drive, then I will be getting back to my normal independence.
Onwards & upwards,
Christine

@orange I am so happy to read that BoneSmart helped you! Recovery can be overwhelming. Glad we could give you the information you need to move forward!

Hi mollymum, lovely to hear from you, I tried sitting in my armchair today but it felt uncomfortable so ended up sitting on a dining chair with a cushion on, sat outside for 20mins too, that was nice, I got sent home with 2 crutches, I still use them both but have walked up and own the garden path with just one , slowly getting there, everyday manage a little more. I don't see my surgeon untill July which is 3 months later, but I remember him saying I could drive after 6 weeks and hopefully I can sleep on my side then too!!!

@orange
I was desperate to turn onto my side too but my OS gave me restrictions for 3 months.
I thought I was being clever when I found, that by holding onto the bed, I could flip over and lay on my stomach. Physio then told me that was the ŵorst thing I could do. Oops
Anyway, no harm done luckily.
Hang on in there. It won't be long before you can turn onto your side.

Hi everyone, 22 days post op now, doing much better, I'm down to one crutch most of the time, still got no power in my leg to get it off the bed unaided, Is this normal? And I have lower back ache

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back