swelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

JACQUELINE

I am home from having my right hip replaced. In April I had my left replaced. The first doctor moved away so I had a different doctor for this one. First doctor required hose for 3 weeks, this doctor doesn't use them. My leg from hip to toe is swollen quite a bit. Is this normal? How long will it last? I was swollen last time but due to the hose I don't know quite how swollen. Although I had some complications to begin with, I feel I am a little farther along at this point.

I had an unbelivable amount of swelling. It did go from hip to toes and although I had only the right hip replaced the swelling was in both legs. I had 24 pounds of extra weight . On day 5 when I went home I told the nurse my abdomen was never that big before giving birth.
A fair amount was gone at 2 weeks. My home pt still said I had way too much and told me to spend most of the weekend in bed. I had seen my doc and he said my leg to foot was still swollen as I was not putting enough weight on it!!!
The weekend mostly in bed got rid of a lot more.
Of course I don't remember when it was all gone, but laying in bed helped the most. It doesn't count if you are on a recliner.
Judy

Hi both, I would really like Josephine's input on this. After my THR Aug 26, I had quite a bit of swelling on the hip and around the incision. Also a little along the whole leg. I remember asking my Dr at day 10 when he took my stitches out if the swelling at hip would go down, I was so concerned that perhaps I was deformed in some way. Of course it did just as he said it would. Also remember feeling heavier though I had no appetite (not fair!!) inthe first couple weeks. Wondered if somehow it had to do with fluids.

All seems long ago as I almost forget I had a hip replacement. Felt real good tonight as my daughter (age 26) was over for dinner and commented that I am not limping any more. That is the best compliment as I did limp for so long and have been working hard on my exercises.

So Josephine, is it common to have swelling and associated weight gain inthe first couple weeks after replacement surgery?

Laurie

Hi there,

I had a bit of swelling around the operated hip and from my knees to my ankles but not much. Had to wear those lovely stockings for six weeks. Even now (nearly 10 weeks out) my operated leg gets a bit swollen from the knee down if I do a lot of walking or stair-climbing in a day, but most of the swelling goes down overnight. I figured it is all normal :)

Monica

Congrats to you Laurie on the "no limping" milestone! It's a wonderful feeling, isn't it? All your hard work paying off!

Jacqueline, I never had hip-to-toe swelling, but did have considerable thigh swelling the first 2 weeks. After that, it was only swollen around my incision (especially below and towards the back). It's nearly gone now at 2 months, but still a little tender. Like Judy described, I got conflicting advice about what to do to reduce the swelling - some said rest and elevate, others said moving about more would work out some of the fluid retention. I never did figure out which helped more - it seemed to be more a matter of time. I did a LOT of icing, but oddly didn't find that had any effect after the first week or two.

My surgeon had me wear the dreaded TED hose for 6 LONG weeks, even though I had low risk factors and was quite active starting around week 3. Man, did those things itch and pinch, and of course, with the hip precautions, you have to have help getting them on, so it's torture for the other person as well. Can't imagine dealing with them during the summertime. But the thought of thrombosis scared me into compliance. I was so happy to be done with them, I wanted to burn them in some celebratory ritual (but instead, just gleefully pitched them in the wastebasket with a maniacal laugh).

Wising you a speedy recovery, Jacqueline.

I consider myself lucky as I never had to wear the dreaded ted stockings!!!
Also lucky that I did not have any blood clot issues.
Judy

Some people do get a LOT of swelling, others get very little. It's not something one can be specific on. The advice given here is all sound and could help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back