Revision THR Swelling problem

@ChefClay It seems so sad you are still having to deal with this swelling and pain, I think I would be starting to make a nuisance of myself to get an appointment at the pain clinic. They really should be rushing you through to get some help for you and advice. Hopefully someone on bonesmart will be able to help you with more information, thinking of you x

Sadly this is now affecting my normal gait and it has hindered the progress of the second hip replacement.
I would imagine it is.
Extremely disappointed with the persons concerned, feel let down when I needed their help and advice the most. I cannot even get another appointment to see the relevant Surgeon(s) as the waiting list has increased dramatically -some reason to do with the hospital’s admin procedure.
Yes, I've recently been a victim of this. But do ring your surgeon's secretary, tell you you've heard nothing yet and ask her if she knows what the hold-up is.

I think I would be starting to make a nuisance of myself to get an appointment at the pain clinic. They really should be rushing you through to get some help for you and advice.
@clodaghcov please note when members are in the UK. Things don't work like that here. Nobody gets 'rushed through' for anything here unless it's a life-threatening issue and then the surgeon would get them an emergency admission.

Sadly the NHS in the UK is a real lottery. I had to wait ages for my op. My friend in Devon will get hers within 6 months of being diagnosed.

I hope you get to see your OS soon! @ChefClay ... would it help to call the OS secretary and ask for a standby for a cancellation appt?

:wave:I wish I had some helpful advice or thoughts.
I hate you are in pain...and am praying you get in soon.:console2:

@Josephine Of course you are right, but having sat in the pain clinic and chatting to the fraut looking sister, I said gosh what an enormous pile of notes--her reply these are all the people who did not turn up for their appointment! So always worth letting the clinic know if you are able to take a cancellation.

After a long absence I can now update.
Approximately 12 months ago I had the Hip revision surgery. The initial Hip replacement was taken out and replaced.
The fist sized swelling is still there and did not reduce, even after this second surgery and full recovery period.
I am in extreme discomfort and it now affects my everyday life from walking to sleeping.
I am due to see Mr Roysam later this morning at SRH, I would like an update to see if there is anything can be done at all, apart from referral to the Pain Clinic.
Will update later

Hi @ChefClay
I am wondering what exactly they are referring to this swelling as...now?
I hate that it is still there and cannot be resolved. Prayers for answers AND solutions.
Please do let us know how the appointment goes.

@ChefClay
Have thinking about you and wondering how you are. Do hope there will be concrete answers and help for you this morning.

Another MRI scan recommended by Mr Roysam and another biopsy attempt.
Xrays revealed the left hip to be in good condition but right hip now in poor condition.
Swelling physically examined by Mr Roysam. Been three years since left hip was replaced and one year since hip revision surgery. Swelling has been apparent since a few days after original operation.

Will update after next MRI and biopsy attempt.

Thank you for showing an interest in my problems.

Yes, bloods okay apart from Thiamine deficiency. Tablets now resolved this particular issue.

Update from late December 2019 ~ now in constant pain from full length of left femur.
Swelling still remains same size and causing considerable discomfort, especially when trying to sleep.
Also, if I sneeze or ‘jolt’ my left hip, the pain in the joint is excruciating. It’s like a short bolt of electricity going through my hip!
I described this fully to Mr Krishnan, this gentleman has now taking charge of my case over Mr Roysam.
My left leg is now ‘heavy’ and I am unable to strengthen it. Really frustrating, I even have to support my left leg and ‘lift’ it when getting into the car! Same problem when bathing, dressing, etc.
I am now awaiting another MRI scan on the left hip and the swelling. This I think is number five now! This time I am going to have a dye added when I receive the MRI.
Just awaiting appointment, will update when I get the results.
Thank you for your interest.
Even though the whole thing is getting me down and my wife helps me immensely, it feels good to express my problems on this forum to people that can maybe relate to similar issues.
Hopefully it may eventually help people that may encounter similar problems following a Hip review operation ~ Paul
Ps - all the best for 2020 to forum members

I am in awe of how positive you sound after all the pain and worry you have experienced with your hip! You know, the research shows that those people who can articulate and share their worries actually do far better than those who keep everything in, so I'm glad you are sharing with others on this forum! Plus, as you mentioned, by sharing issues and ideas, I think we all benefit, either now, or in the future when we, or a loved one, encounter a similar experience.

I think it is really hard for those of us in the US to related to the protocols those of you in the United Kingdom must follow to get your health care needs met. In many respects your health system is excellent.....but it would be a big adjustment for many of us to have to wait as long for treatment as jump through what seems to be so many more hoops than we do here. I sure hope you are going to get a clearer idea of what the problem is soon, and a good treatment plan. Please do keep us posted on what you learn.

Hi @ChefClay
So sorry to see you back with no resolution even with hip revision.
:sad:
I can only imagine you are beyond frustrated AND worried.
When was your revision done?
Did they rule anything in or out? No hematoma found when first one done?
Please do let us know what comes of your MRI.
I am sorry for the past decade of troubles for you and your dear wife ..
Perhaps 2020 will bring some answers and some peace!

I'm sorry for your pain. You have been suffering for a long time.
Please know we're here for you and we care, whether we can relate, or not.
So continue coming here to vent if need be and we'll continue to offer support and encouragement as you move forward. I pray the New Year bring answers and a resolution.
@ChefClay

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom