THR Swelling post-op...

ststyle59

Country
United States United States
...during hospital stay; anyone forget the 90° rule for a couple secs?? ...I did today, surgery day...I'm depleted now... I don't know if I did anything... caused any damage...

You would feel excruciating pain if you dislocated your hip--it's dislocation that the restriction is designed to protect against.

Yes, people with restrictions violate the 90 degree rule from tie to time. They catch themselves pretty quickly. But it's hard to do restrictions perfectly.

Unless you were in screaming pain, you can relax and feel secure and get on with your recovery.

Congratulations on the new hip.

If you had dislocated (the reason for restrictions) you would be on the floor screaming with an ambulance ride in your future. If you didn't dislocate the chance you caused any damage is negligible. Welcome to the healing side, stay on track with your pain meds and ice, ice baby! :ice::ice::ice:

..thank you so much for your detailed replies!! All is well; just got up to use the bathroom and what I gather I'm feelin' is surgical discomfort; only taking Tylenol; whereby I had a bad reaction to both pain medications earlier today; so Tylenol it is!! ..thank you again for your info and kind words!!

Welcome to recovery.
As the others said, if you had dislocated your new hip, you wouldn't be in any doubt about it. You had a momentary lapse, but nothing bad has come of it. Now you'll be more mindful of the recommended restrictions.

Here are our recovery guidelines to help you:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

As others said if you did damage you'd know it. The restrictions, like the 90* rule are there to prevent dislocation. I don't have any experience with it but from what has been posted on this forum it's not something you want to do. Minding the restrictions might be inconvenient for a while but it will prevent dislocation and promote healing of the soft tissue. The movements that are restricted will tax the strained muscles in the directions they were strained during THR. Not taxing them will allow them to heal and regain their strength.

@ststyle59 It may help you to know that many surgeons are no longer imposing restrictions post THR. Just try your best to stay within the restrictions. But please don't stress about them. In most cases your hip won't want to move past the restrictions in these early days.

I was terrified about breaking the 90 degree rule. But, as others have said, if you did anything really bad, you'd know it. Try to stay mindful when you move. In most cases, you will be moving slowly enough to catch yourself before you do anything potentially damaging. I think someone should invent a little level we can attach to our bodies that will give us a little zap if we break 90!

... start of day 6 post-op; leg is swollen and tight; pain level about a 4/5; I will assume that due to the severity of which a posterior replacement is performed; this swollen issue is normal...strugglin' in NJ...

Good Morning!
Six days out is extremely early and you will have swelling. Please ICE and ELEVATE as the two articles describe from the Recovery Guidelines you received on your original recovery thread, if you’re not already.

Your post above and any responses will be moved to your original recovery thread.
Please use the original thread for any questions, or updates, going forward and we’ll be happy to support, encourage and guide you. :)

Wishing you comfort as you begin healing.

... thank you for your most informative and kind words; I apologize for not navigating and/or posting in this forum correctly...how do I locate the "Recovery Thread?" ...thank you!!

Hi again,
Please...no apologies necessary.
Your original thread is right here -

All you have to do is tap on the words in blue and it will open, just as the article above on how to find your thread and post. I’m sorry if it’s confusing. I hope this helps.
A peaceful day to you.
@ststyle59

@ststyle59
You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this one thread and don't start new threads.

Don't worry that we won't see your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on. Please will you do that?

...again, I apologize for not following the "posting protocol;" I'll do my best to follow your instructions; thank you for your information and overview of my concerns...Best regards...M.

No worries.. we all have been there. Take care...one day at a time. It’s only going to improve as healing takes time. Lots of :ice:.:prayer:blessing sent your way.

...thank you for your kind words!!

One Step agreed for you to participate in the pilot program we have going on. Please read your PM and get the information to me as soon as possible so you can get the most benefit possible from their recovery program.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom