TKR Swelling knee and foot

Swelling can take a long time to go down, but it seems like a good sign that it goes down overnight. Maybe you're doing too much during the day.

So no manipulation for me. Doctor says I am doing well, slowly but making good progress. What he is not helping me with is the swelling I am experiencing. He says nothing can be done and it will go away on its own in time. It is holding me back making my knee so stiff. I constantly ice and elevate it and am taking Noproxen for it. I need any advice or ideas to help with my swelling. Thx

Anti-inflammatory diet.

Google Anti-inflammatory keto diet.

Lost 10 pounds of water weight in the first two weeks.

Even with my last surgery, within days being on keto, I got my ROM (range of motion) back to post up readings.

So it’s week 13 and my swelling is as bad as ever, It gets so stiff it is hard to bend it. I start ever morning with it slightly swollen only to watch it balloon up in the first 30 minutes I am up. I have cut back on pt and exercise but that has not helped. It seems the more I stretch it and use it the looser it is. After PT it is great for about 45 minutes then the stiffness and swelling comes back.

I an stuck at 90 degrees and -3 on my ROM It is just to stiff to move it anymore than that. I know that everybody says don’t worry about ROM but I am. I am afraid that I am hitting scar tissue and am going to have to get a manipulation. This dam swelling is screwing with not only my knee but my head. I see my Doctor on the 8th and he will evaluate me again.

I wish I would have never had this procedure done.

Last edited:
So sorry that you're going through this and I understand how it messes with your head. I'm week 14 tomorrow and although I think my flexion is about 100 -110 I have had problems with stiffness and swelling until today. Last week I was really concerned that it would never end until I woke this morning and realised my knee wasn't the first thing to get my attention! I do hope you get some relief both physically and mentally - it's a tiring journey:bored:

Week 15 and my swelling is constant and is now extending down to my foot. My stiffness is almost as bad, but goes away when I work my knee. The only time I get any relief is when I sleep the swelling goes down to close to normal. But when I awake the swelling and stiffness come back within 30 minutes all the time. All my Dr can say is there is nothing wrong and I can have swelling for up to a year ( in his condescending smug attitude way ).

MY ROE is at 110 and my extension is at 0 and I am slowly getting more ROM. I am finally gaining strength in my leg but am still hearing all clicks and misc sounds and it drives me crazy. Going back to work on Monday, thank god I will be on light duty as there is now way I can do my job fully.

I truly wish I had not had this surgery. Truly wish I had a surgeon who I felt cared as much as I do. Just wish things would get better and maybe I could get a little more luck my way, thx for listening to my rant.

Last edited:
I had a very difficult first year, I understand how you feel. I had improvement after my one year anniversary as well as after my 2 year anniversary.

Try not to lose heart, where you are now is not where you will end up. :console2:

I know it's frustrating but week 15 is still only in the first part of your recovery. I tend to think of the first 12 weeks or so as the initial surgical recovery but from there on it's the continued healing phase. I had swelling and stiffness at week 15 but things did gradually improve incrementally. As my doctor told me, it can be many months to feel "normal." Keep doing lots of ice and elevation and some movements throughout the day.

It seems many of us go through a period where we wish we hadn't had the operation - I know I have, twice now. However, your ROM is increasing, so that's something to be positive about. Mine is 60 bend at 9 weeks. Your swelling will go down in time. Don't lose heart.

It seems many of us go through a period where we wish we hadn't had the operation -
Yes, as much as I knew in my head I'd be glad I did my second knee, I did have days where I said to myself "I did this voluntarily? Twice?!" :heehee:

Much thanks to all for your replies. Still dealing with swelling, but now its moved down to my calf and ankle. Once again it goes away at night but comes back within 30 minutes of getting up. But I am seeing more improvement in stiffness and ROM. Doctor says all is well and I could have swelling for up to a year. I will just keep plugging away and hope for the best.....Thx

P.S. Your replies and encouragement always help my spirts. THX

I truly wish I had not had this surgery. Truly wish I had a surgeon who I felt cared as much as I do. Just wish things would get better and maybe I could get a little more luck my way, thx for listening to my rant.
If you only knew how many people have said the same thing! I think everyone goes through a period of regretting having eh surgery but, as time passes, they usually come round to realising it was a good thing to do.

Remember that complete recovery from a nee replacement takes a full year. It' along haul, a marathon not a sprint, so don't expect to feel completely cured yet. You're only a third of the way there, so there's plenty of time for your knee to improve.

With a ROM of 110/0 at 15 weeks, you are doing well. You don't have adhesions and there's plenty of time for further improvement.
There's no need to rush to get ROM, because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

It's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, and it will gradually increase as your knee heals.

The swelling is normal and it could be with you for some time yet. Your knee is still a work in progress, not the finished article. Where it is now is not where it's going to end up.

It's so easy to think that your knee should be further ahead than it really is, but your knee knows what it's doing. Try to trust it.
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)

Almost 6 month in to recovery and my knee, calf and foot swell up every day. They do respond to elevating them and always go back to normal size after sleeping at night. The swelling makes my knee stiff and the rest of my leg and foot look humungous . I was on Naproxen for 4 months and it helped but have stoped it as I am afraid of long turn use. Any great advice out there.

THX

@Milomann you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. I changed the thread title. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics