TKR One year -three months post TKR -could use some advice

They have given me more Tramadol- but only enough until my next appointment.
I had my husband listen to the phone call- so I could confirm that the reality is they are pushing a protocol without taking the patient into account. How I wish I could not spend time worrying about it I have enough medication. This all seeems so punitive and controlling. Patient and MD - all have the same goal- to heal and not being in pain is part of that process for some of us. . Oh Lordy- enough on this, Moving on. Hope you are managing.

Can I have my thread changed to Suzanne’s Recovery: Thank you so much I Know this is a labor of love on your part and I sure appreciate it.....

Has anyone experienced INTENSE Adductor pain? Inner Thigh muscles. What did you do about it?
Three weeks ago today my knee was replaced- and the knee is doing well- but my inner thigh muscles are really hurting... This is what is waking me up at night....
Any thoughts or ideas? Spoke with the PT today- my exercise in not very strenuous so I don’t think it is being cause by that- but I can’t get rid of it......

Hi @Susu123

I just wanted to chime in again. At my 4 week post op appointment last week, my doctor refilled both my Tramadol and my hydrocodone. I was really surprised to get the hydrocodone but also relieved because I’m still taking it at night to sleep. But I also added Advil this week in addition to Tylenol. I was not allowed to take it before because I was on blood thinners (Xarelto) for 30 days. I think the Advil works better than either the Tramadol or the hydrocodone at this point! I have not been having inner thigh pain, my pain is behind the right knee and radiates down to my calf, around to my shin and down to my foot. My left knee/leg is fine. My therapist finally realized that it is caused by my hamstring being super tight. He gave me stretches and exercises to address the hamstring issue. Between the exercises and the Advil, it is feeling better and is so much less painful. Hopefully your therapist will figure out the source of your pain and help you correct it. In the meantime, Advil may help if you are allowed to take it.

You poor luv. I swore at everyone then apologised profusely once the pain killers kicked in.

I changed the title of your thread for you.

I’m so glad you got the medicine you need. I’m finding that the hardest part: since my MD had made it clear- no more Tramadol. I’m now holding back on medicating to stretch things out. Wish I could take Advil- but I can’t stomach the stuff.

I bought a on-line Tens machine and Electrical Stimulation like they use at PT. Fifty bucks and it seems to help the adductor pain. Here is hoping.

@Susa123, you don't have to quote a post to answer it, just scroll down to the bottom and start writing without quoting.

FYI: It is not necessary to use the "Quote This Message" to reply to a post. This feature should be used only when there is a post or several posts on another topic between your post and the post you want to respond to. To reply to a post, just scroll down and put your cursor in the dialogue box and start typing.

Use the "Quote This Message" to reply to a post only when there is a post or several posts on another topic between your post and the post you want to respond to and you need the entire post to be quoted.

You can quote a sentence or a section of a post by simply highlighting it and clicking on the "Quote Me" oblong that appears in gray at the end of the highlighted selection. This is frequently a better choice than quoting a whole post. You can use this feature in several different posts by a member if you want to respond to things in multiple posts. When you go to the dialogue box you will see "Get Quotes " and in parenthesis the number of quotes. Click on that when you want a quote inserted into your post.

Reality Check - Surgery July 20th- So about five weeks. Still dealing with swelling and pain.
Doing 15 minute of biking- 15 minute easy walking-15-20 minute of bridging.... and ADL easy going. Still icing and elevating.
The activity does not seem to be too much- but I can't bring down the swelling. Taking one -two Tramadol and Neurotin at night....Nights are tough- for sure.
Any thoughts= suggestions??? little bit discouraged.

I know it doesn't seem like you're doing much but things are relative. You're still pretty early in your recovery. I would do either the biking OR the walking each day. Or cut several minutes off each activity.
Activity that doesn't feel too bad at the time, you often feel at night. It's like a cumulative effect.

Also it would not harm anything to take a day off from exercise now and then.

Hi Friends, much more pain and swelling over the last few weeks- Not related to increased activity or exercise. Knee swells up during the day and by night lots of pain and stiffness. Saw PA who confirmed "no infection" She said scar tissue was breaking down under the skin..... What is this about? Any one else experienced this? Any other ideas?

Normally, nighttime pain and swelling mean doing too much doing the day. I suggest you slow down your activities until your nighttime pain and swelling get better. You aren't even halfway through your healing so you still have to be careful with doing too much too soon. Try icing and elevating more to get that pain and swelling down.

:plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon: Merry Christmas!

She said scar tissue was breaking down under the skin
Scar tissue remodels as you heal, but should not be causing the swelling and stiffness you are experiencing.
At 5-6 months you are only half way through this yearlong+ recovery, some swelling and stiffness is normal. You may want to go back to icing and elevating your knee a couple of times a day.
For night time pain you may want to try clingfilm. Night pain solutions using moist heat and clingfilm

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

Merry Christmas, hope you start feeling better.

Trying to gauge pain meds is a bit of a nightmare isn’t it? I am nearly 5 weeks post op and finally feel pain is manageable more days than not. Today I cut my codeine down to 30 mgms instead of 60mgs during the day. I still use regular paracetamol and naproxyn 500 mgms twice daily and oromorph when required - usually at night.
One thing I have noticed is that I can have a terrible day with so much pain and stiffness, usually because I’ve pushed too far. I spent Christmas with my sons family and needed to climb up and down stairs - that really hurt me. However, after a day of rest the following day is always better.
I am in the U.K. so getting medication is not complicated by cost or insurance but I am still frightened the doctor will cut me back though I have no reason to think that because they have not questioned so far.
keep your pain under control - your knee will thank you for it. This recovery time can’t last for ever + can it?

This is was my second TKR. I am surprised how different the recovery is. I’m a year and three months out and I still have generalized stiffness everyday in the knee area. I also have localized discomfort under the patella - which comes and goes. I’m active- biking at least 5 miles every other day- walking couple of miles- etc…. With my first TKR three years prior I was pretty normal after 8months. So this is a surprise and dissipointment. The knee on xray is “perfect” . No help from the Doc about what’s going on. Basically she says if the pain is still there after two years it’’s permanent! Activity seems to help- but I still run into stiffness and discomfort. I’m 71- and active- just wish I wasn’t in pain.
Any thoughts - advice?

I feel for you! I have an appointment tomorrow for similar. I am 10 months out and I am definitely have got kneecap problems. Sounds like great advice above. I wish you the best.

Suncatcher- thanks for your reply - let me know what your doc says. Thanks.

Went to the ortho. I am having a lateral release in October. Hopefully this will take care of the problem. He feels very confident it will help. My patella is being pulled to tight to the lateral side.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom