Lounge Doctor

THR Suttree RTHR 7/5/17 - recovery thread

Suttree

Country
United States United States
Hi folks,

Gottr Done. Surgery went from around 12:30 to 3:30. Been in my room relaxing since. Just urinated (in the toilet) and took a short roller walk down the hall. I'm sure a lot of it is the drugs but everything feeling well in my new joint at the moment. No appetite yet ... just eating some saltines. Gonna try and catch some zzzzs.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Welcome. The beginning of your recovery journey!!
Sleep all you can when you can.
We are cheering for you!!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Congrats on making it over to the bright side of the road!
Wishing you all the best as you recover!

OP
OP
Suttree

Suttree

Country
Thanks for the good vibes people. I was able to sleep in 20 -40min spurts last night ... got in an hour at one point. Appetite has returned. Walked 200 ft with a walker and did some light PT exercises. Getting released after lunch.

I'm sure this has been a honeymoon period of sorts and that there will be some curve balls ahead. They've had me on an oxy every 8 hours. Ready to get in some serious elevating, icing, and relaxing over the next few weeks at home.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
@Suttree hurray! You made it, and are making great progress. Have a "fun" discharge experience, don't let them sell you anything you don't want (I'm serious), and rest ice elevate as you say. It's possible your surgeon does what mine does-- puts something of a local anaesthetic IN the joint before closing. Mine lasted about 6 hours after I woke up, I think, but can't really remember.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Welcome to the other side @Suttree ! Take things slow and steady - no heroics. Hope your journey home is easy.

I'll leave your recovery articles here for you to refer to when needed.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this:

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Great start!!! Great way to think... You get it. Wishing you well... You're gonna get so good!!!!

Grannyhippy

senior
Country
Australia Australia
You're doing well walking 200 feet with a walking frame the day after your surgery. I don't think I was asked to walk that far my first time after surgery. I am glad everything seems to be going so well and I hope it continues to do so.

I am curious as to why you say your surgery took three hours. Was that including preparation and recovery time?
Most hip replacements don't take that long unless it is a revision surgery or there are complications involved.

OP
OP
Suttree

Suttree

Country
I am curious as to why you say your surgery took three hours. Was that including preparation and recovery time?.
I went in at 12:30pm and doc spoke with my wife at 3:30. I had ... and I'll probably describe this incorrectly ... acetabular cysts that required some backfilling and grafting to ensure a proper fit for the new joint. Apparently that process added the extra time. The wife got a little concerned as she assumed it was just going to be an hour and a half procedure.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

OP
OP
Suttree

Suttree

Country
Since getting home yesterday I have not been doing as well. Last night was a little rougher ..... Headache, fever (100-101) and definitely a ratcheting up of the pain as compared to the first 24 hours. Fever has given up and feeling better this morning. Odd, I had the same fever / headache experience after my back surgery last fall. It kind of freaked me out that maybe I had an infection and needed to call the doc ... and then it just subsided. Sticking to the meds schedule, taking it easy, and icing up (needed to adjust my freezer temp colder to get the packs like they had been in the hospital)

Special tip of cap to you more aged hippies out there. I find it tough enough in my mid-40s absorbing all this ... likely gets exponentially difficult with added years. Although us gen Xrs are probably just soft compared to most of you guys.

Question- I know 'elevate' is a common theme for recovery at BoneSmart. Neither Doc, Nurse, or PT mentioned elevate to me. Doesn't elevating while in bed possibly violate 'knees below nose'?

Thanks again for your comments and feedback.

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
I learned "elevate" here, but this month is the first I am ever hearing of "knees below nose", and I don't understand the rationale. There must be one, but I don't know it.

Sounds like you just react to surgery with a fever and a headache! Stick to your meds schedule, elevate, and ice ice ice. My OS puts some kind of anaesthetic IN the joint before he closes, and that stuck with me for about 6 hours, and then maybe hung around mildly for another 6-8. My pain level went up as soon as I was discharged because there I was walking, wheelchairing, getting in the car (a real adventure because my first idea of sitting sideways in the back seat didn't work!) and then waiting in the car at the pharmacy for the pain meds prescription to be filled. So I was overworked and almost 2 hours behind on pain meds-- they had refused to give me "a dose to take on the road" when I left, and I had only maybe 45 minutes to go for my next dose. Once you get behind, it takes more than one dose to fix it!

From a semi-aged hippie-- meaning old enough to be on Medicare but not so old I am scared of computers and devices-- most women know pain much better than most men, so while we may seem to be sailing through on a pain scale of 1.5-2, which is what I did, my 1 may be in a whole different place than a man's....

And....props to you for even knowing that you can adjust the freezer temp!!! :snork: sorry that one was below the belt but laughter is the best medicine!

Grannyhippy

senior
Country
Australia Australia
Thanks for clarifying the answer to my question about the length of your surgery.

gaulsuerou

senior
Country
Hi @Suttree, sorry about the headaches and the discomfort, not sure if you had a spinal but I know that can be something that rears its ugly head after the fact, I have not been doing much elevating above the nose but I have a recliner in my feet up with no pillow under them, keeping quite comfortable the pain is worse when I start to move and then it just goes away, sitting I have zero, I had a problem with my meds at first, I think it was because I was taking meds pre-surgery just to keep the pain at bay till I got there, everywhere I sit, I sit with a plastic bag under my butt so I can slide and turn with ease, so if you have to move that works well. My surgeon takes about two hours per hip, he's only two years out of residency but totally brilliant with a history of mechanical engineering. You take the parts you take a problem and you solve the problem, gosh he's good at it, I did not have a lot of spurs in my socket but I had plenty on the ball, and a bit of hip dysplasia too, and odd angles, he learned a lot on hip number one that made hip number two easier, it was really fascinating that he took the time to talk to me about it on several occasions post surgery, did you have anterior? Recovery seems to be going fast once all the distended muscles calm down best wishes that you feel better and are up and around soon

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hope you get to feeling better soon. Keep a check on that temp though. Better overly paranoid than sorry!
Try to relax as much as possible, eat meds religiously, peruse the sight for the beginning of our stories which often involve alot of whining and commiserating!!
Sending healing wishes your way!!

Gone again

senior
Country
The first couple days home were a little rough for me also. I understand running a low temp is pretty common.
Drinking lots of water and eating fiber is important to fight constapation. I also drink a Gatorade every day for leg cramps. Things get better fast so sleep as much as possible.

OP
OP
Suttree

Suttree

Country
Almost at one week ... and things are going really well. Headaches and mild fevers are gone, sleeping well, and slowly upping my activity. Still using walker but am putting more weight on side with new hip. Slow and steady.

Probably a premature comment ... but I used a different logic (accidentally) in selecting my surgeon. There was one doc in my area that does ~200 THRs each year. I was initially looking at just the high count docs thinking "they've seen it all ... why risk it with a doc that has less exposure". I ended up getting my second opinion from a doc who was known to be more conservative with patients in their 40s. Turns out this conservative doc does all the complex revisions for the 200/ yr surgeon. Uneducated/Speculative comment here but maybe the surgeons tasked with fixing the complex revisions should be part of the process in selecting who we want to do our hips (vs just selecting based on annually procedure count and personality). Maybe THRs and revision procedures are apple and oranges?? If not, then might be worth casting the net a little wider in the surgeon search to include the go-to revision surgeons in your area ... try and factor in quality vs quantity.

dougie0216

graduate
Country
@Suttree Welcome too the other side. Sounds like you have a good attitude, which, imho, is the most important thing in recovery. You're a hippy now.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Wardiva
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom