Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

When traveling you should always check local security requirements. Some of the countries I have visited require a letter or a card signed by your OS that states the date and type of surgery. No letter, no flying.

Regards,
Chemist

The surgeon said she would give me a letter for flying as I was worried about flying only 12 weeks post operation. I shall ask her when I see her on 17th Aug..

You can call the airport traveler assistance (or similar title) ahead of time. The info is also probably on their website. If at the airport already you can go to the information desk (most airports have these in the main terminal) and they will help you.

Talk with your airline ahead of your trip. Most will arrange for you to get to your gate and on the plane with minimum hassle.

Airport security won’t want to see anyone’s scar. They’ll scan you and wand you and pat you down. Be sure to put your cane through X-ray! :heehee:

Because they’ll make you do it anyway. :snork: Might as well put it through right away than have to walk back and do it. Those and shoes. I really dislike taking off my shoes, and having to put them back on, but I fly so much I get pre-screened status a lot. Pre-surgery was worst for security pain. Now it’s just minor annoyances.

I contacted the airline and when we checked in were directed to the assistance office who were expecting me. I had a wheelchair through the airport. Straight to top of security queue and left at the gate. When it came time to board the man came back and I was pushed first down to the plane and helped to my seat.
On arrival we were told to wait till last off the plane but a wheelchair (and pusher) were waiting for us and straight through arrivals. The helper took us right out to the taxi. It was a very positive experience. Good luck @Mollymax!

Fourteen Months: Standing for Three Hours

So about that Billy Joel concert... Billy was great. The weather wasn’t. Thunderstorms and lightning are very very frightening. Wrong band. Anyway, we had severe thunderstorms and torrential rain. Of course no one cancels a concert that big, because of all the money involved. [The stage was huge, the speakers as big as semi trucks, and the stadium was packed at 45,000 people.] So what did all those people do during the storm?

We all got undercover and stood. For three hours.

Now before surgery I could not have stood for three hours. On Friday I did. My knees weren’t 100% thrilled about it, but neither were my feet. In fact, my feet protested more at the end of the night. But while standing the knees got a little antsy. They still prefer walking to standing still. That is why I took frequent trips to the bathroom. Well, that and the drinks. But I walked away often enough Mr. Shoes inquired about my well-being.

“I’m fine. I just have to move around, and while I’m at it I’m going to the bathroom.”

So I guess I didn’t really stand for three hours straight. And we finally did sit down again. And the show went on. It was a good show, after which we ran (yes, I can run... it’s more of a jog than a proper run, but it was what I would consider running) a couple blocks to catch our limo. Because no one in their right mind wants to deal with the traffic of 45,000 people letting out of a stadium all at once and trying to get out of a parking lot.

My feet needed massaging, but my knees were champs. No ice. No complaints. They felt perfectly great again the next morning. I guess this is what full recovery feels like.

I first saw Billy Joel in 1976 in upstate NY....he was great then, glad to see he‘s still going. My mom loved him. Glad your knees are in such good shape!

Send us some of those storms....no rain in sight for weeks!

I have a thing called a prosthesis passport - actually, one for each knee. It‘s in English and lists the date and serial numbers of my implants.... I will carry this with me when I travel.

I guess I can now be identified by my prosthesis serial numbers ..... like on law and order!:loll:

Eighteen Months: Amazing Knees, Life Happens

Thought I'd post an update on the knee journey. The knees are great! They've been completely pain-free for several months and still enjoy long walks. They climb stairs easily, swim, bike, and kneel when needed. :running: I've definitely reached the "I Should Have Done This Years Ago" stage. I'm happy as can be that I have them now. They feel and work just like original issue knees.

Do I feel like I'm walking around on implants? No. Not when walking. They feel completely natural. Sometimes when lying in bed, or when I bend them a certain way while sitting, I detect their "not-original" nature. I can go days without ever thinking about them one way or the other.

In other news, life has ups and downs.

In October I had surgery to repair an incisional hernia, a late-appearing complication from a hysterectomy a few years ago. Other than the fact that any surgery is a grand inconvenience and temporarily painful, all went well. My surgeon used a robot, which meant four teeny-tiny scars and a quick recovery. I have a five pound weight lifting restriction until Christmas, though. No carrying groceries or grandchildren for me!

Just a surgical note for the curious: My having knee replacements was a big nothing for the abdominal surgery. Mattered not one bit. This is a good thing.

Sad news is that our beloved standard poodle, Cate, our companion for fifteen years and my walking buddy, passed this week. I posted about her a few times in this thread. During my knee recovery she was always at my side, lying beside me on the bed or beside my recliner. We miss her terribly.

Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season! I was down on my knees yesterday putting presents around the tree. Up and down. Up and down. Yet another piece of life I've gotten back. :tree:

Last edited:
Awesome report, Susie!

Good Morning, Susie: Congratulations!! Great to hear you are feeling well and returned to your active lifestyle. Sorry about your friend's passing.....15 years is a good run; it is always hard when we lose a pet that has enriched our life for so long..... Best Wishes ~ Pat

When traveling you should always check local security requirements. Some of the countries I have visited require a letter or a card signed by your OS that states the date and type of surgery. No letter, no flying.
Regards,
Chemist
I don't know where you've travelled to, but that hasn't been my experience.
I've been to over 60 countries with my artificial knees and not once been asked for a surgeon's letter.

Having a card or a letter stating that you have a joint replacement is not much good, as security still has to screen you - they would be remiss if they didn't, as documents like that are easy to forge.

@Mollymax - when you book flights, ask for wheelchair assistance. It will make your travel through airports much easier.

We do have this article - Flying soon after surgery - and this thread:
Have you set off the alarms at airports?

Now, back to SusieShoes' recovery!

Oh! Susie I am so sorry for the loss of your wonderful and trusted companion. I too have an old timer, named Ralph. He is my baby. And there have been ones before him. Take the time to grieve and remember all the good times you had together. Again, sorry for your loss, Schpooko

I’m sorry to hear about Cate! But I love the rest of your update!

Congrats on the Kneeversary Susie --- so glad your knees are doing great. Very sorry to hear about Cate -- I remember your walks with her during your early recovery. My lefty is doing quite well also at 18 months. Recently I've had a bit of stiffness as she shoulders, er, knees, the load for Righty but I expect the exercise is good. And I expect Lefty will benefit from the additional PT as I work on getting Righty more functional. Glad to hear you recovered well from your abdominal surgery.

Congratulations and Commiserations.
You give me hope for my knee.

You are still our poster child for a bilateral knee replacement recovery!

So sorry to hear about to hear about Cate. She's crossed the Rainbow Bridge. Hubs to you. I know that pain.

Your knees sound wonderful!

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Your knees sound great. Hopefully I'll get there one day too.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back