Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

Glad you're getting on all right now, after what sounded like a bit of a rocky start at your rehab. hospital. Did you have to go very far? Thanks for all your positive comments - it sounds like you are doing well! I'm counting down the days now; only 11 days to go.

It was a half-hour drive through rolling Pennsylvania hills. Sitting in the car was... okay. A little painful by the end of the drive. We could have opted for a wheelchair van ride for $80 but chose to do it ourselves. The hospital PT prepared Mr. Shoes and me well for the getting in and getting out of a car.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

I finally found your thread! It sounds like over all you are doing fantastic! What uplifting reports you have had! I pray you do as well at home. Being home is always a relief!

According to my occupational and physical therapists I am recovering very well. Today I used a cane to go up and back down a carpeted flight of stairs like those I will go home to. Minor pain and no difficulty. I can get to the bedroom and Mr. Shoes. There is no escape!

OT was very happy I have a tub bench for the tub, and showed me how to use it. The toilet rails, too, though I learned how to use those that day after surgery. HIGHLY recommend both those assistive devices.

Taking precautionary Miralax is working. Probably more than anyone wants to know about my bowels -- and if it keeps working you will hear no more.

I am pleased to say I can put on my own socks.

My heart rate is down to 100. I also have a UTI. No fever, though, so I figure the antibiotic just added to my tutti-fruiti cornucopia of pills will solve that problem.

Most of the time when I get up to use the bathroom, I ask to take a short stroll in the corridor. Always granted. These folk are very accommodating. I do the short walk to help the new knees, but also to stave off boredom. Mr. Shoes has to stay at home with his demented, mobility-impaired father and I miss him. If possible, he's even unhappier about being apart. We're a close couple.

The rehab is holding an assessment meeting about me tomorrow. Maybe I'll get a date for going home!

You are doing amazingly! What an inspiration you are to those coming behind you!

Wow, you really are doing amazing, much better than me and i only had 1 knee replacement on April 19th. I'm impressed you were able to walk to the commode your first couple days in hospital and now you're walking up and down stairs. You have a great attitude and good humour. Best wishes to you.

I'm glad things are moving along. I found rehab boring also! Couldn't read or concentrate on anything. I attended my assessment meetings in rehab, just ask them the time and wheel yourself down.

Really, @KarriB ? I asked if I could (or should) attend and was told no. Hmmmm....

Have a high normal temp tonight. Too low to be a fever and too high for easy chilling. Ordered more ice water.

Day 5: Compression and Pain Meds

I begin this day wearing sequential pneumatic compression stockings again. When I transferred from the surgical hospital to the rehab hospital, someone forgot to implement that part of my OS orders, so I've been without them for 60 hours. I just assumed I'd graduated or something.

The night shift nurse pointed out the omission. "You were wearing stockings when you came in, right?"

"The inflatable ones? Not to travel. I didn't wear them in the car."

"Let me check doctor's orders."

So she did. And so I should have been wearing them all along. They're back on my legs, except for PT I assume.

I rather like these inflatable stockings. They help prevent blood clots, which can only be good, and I like the way they gently squeeze my legs. There's a sensuality to pneumatic stockings that's straightforward and guileless. They're friendly. Where I grew up, friendliness was the highest virtue.

This sameobservant nurse also got to chide me for not staying on top of my pain meds. It's true,:bignono:, I slept through a full four hours without pain meds. I thought maybe it wouldn't matter much, but soon realized I'd made a big mistake. The moment I moved my legs, my pain was Over the moon. My bathroom trip was barely tolerable.

"I think I will wake you up next time," said Nurse.

"Please wake me!" I pleaded. "I've been doing really well and I think I'm back at the starting line."

Which exaggerates my dilemma. I didn't lose ground, precisely, I lost my cushy head space. I didn't enjoy a pleasant midnight walk to the nurses station. No longer could I say to Mr. Shoes or the children that "the pain is getting better!"

So repeat the lesson: Keep your pain med schedule; stay ahead of your pain.

I'm looking forward to what today will bring. I will get some idea of when I will be released to go home. I'm glad I did rehab, but I'm ready to rejoin Mr. Shoes. Once home I will have better control over my own recovery.

Yes, in the first weeks it's definitely better to stay on schedule no matter what. Chasing pain is never fun and I hope it's under control again soon.

Someone at the rehab came by with paperwork and questions. That's when she gave me the time and said I was invited to go to the assessment meeting. I was so bored, of course I was going!

You are so funny. I've been wearing my "pumpers" only at night and I can relate to the almost relaxing, hypnotic feel of the squeezing. But after a couple hours of insomnia last night, tossing and turning until almost 2am, I ripped them off and threw them across my bedroom in a mini tantrum. Really I just needed a scapegoat for my misey and the pumpers were it. I'm at 4w weds so I hope I am far enough out to be done with them!

I also found the calf pumps to be relaxing and enjoyed the light massage. I was sad when I had to send them back after 3 weeks.

Those pumpers were a pain when getting out bed to use the loo at night. :groan:

Yes. Mine are getting loose and they slide down and then are too loose and the alarm starts going off while I'm just trying to use the bathroom at 2am.

Underwent a vascular ultrasound of my legs this morning. Good news! I don't appear to have developed any blood clots. I've been pumping my ankles and wiggling my legs enthusiastically since surgery, so am happy to declare my exercises a success.

Did more walking and work on full flight of stairs. Very confident I can manage the latter. Walking continues to be a joy. Painful, yes. About a 5. For the first time in years, though, I am walking naturally -- no shortened gait, fully striding with the heel and rolling onto the toe. I'm enjoying feeling my lower body move.

When I think back to before BTKR, I feel such happiness that I did this surgery. When I think back to the evening of my surgery, when the soulful-eyed PT told me he was going to help me walk my first steps using the new knees... I am amazed. Not just a world of difference, but a galaxy, between what I could do then and now.

I'm walking! Now if I could just stop hurting.

The pain will go away, I tell myself. It's already so much better.

Have ensconced myself on bed with ice packs around my knees. Feeling very chill.

On Day 5 post BTKR, I can:

* get in and out of bed, chairs of various heights, and a car.

* use a walker like a champ

* perform all toilet functions (tall toilets hurt less!)

* perform bathing with help of bathtub bench and handheld shower head.

* sleep for four hours straight

* use a cane to go up and down a flight of stairs.

* dress and undress myself in mostly futile hope of being both post-BTKR and stylish.

Off to a good start to this recovery!

I love reading your posts! What a strong lady you are. Any word on when you're going home yet?

@sistersinhim, I just found out I shall go home on Friday! So looking forward to being with my dearly loved husband and dog.

I'm surprised you can't go home tomorrow as well as you're doing! Of course, you'll be that much better on Friday!

@sistersinhim, I'm going to be cynical here (something I strive not to be) and say I think the rehab hospital is milking my insurance. My insurance pays for up to seven days. Friday.

It's just as well, though. After Saturday I will have my hubby all to myself. This is the week he(we) have his demented father staying with us.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back