Lounge Doctor

TKR SusieQs Pre-op, Qs about outpatient surgery!

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Not long now @Susie-Q ! Yes, all those aches and pains are just more proof you are doing the right thing. Just take it easy until your big day. Not being able to take NSAIDs for pain is brutal!

patriciad

senior
Country
United States United States
It’s probably all down to having stopped the NSAIDS - I had to take Ibuprofen daily in order to cope with the knee pain prior to surgery. You don’t realise the extra strain your body has to deal with when you have a knee that’s not fully functional. My replaced right knee would ache badly too during the run up to my surgery along with my shoulders and one wrist. All this eventually goes away as you recover from your surgery which is now only a few days away. Reading your thread I can see you are well prepared and organized - so well done!
Wishing you the best of luck, as you know already with your first it’s good to get the surgery done and start the recovery. See you on the other side!

OP
OP
Susie-Q

Susie-Q

post-grad
Country
Thanks @Jaycey and @patriciad! I remembered last night that I'm still allowed to take Tylenol and if I didn't I wouldn't have been able to sleep, the aches and pains were that bad! :hairpulling: It didn't help that my daughter's cat feels the need to sleep right next to me or at my feet so changing positions is extra difficult. She's going to have to be shut in my daughter's room at night once I'm done with surgery. I can't have a 16 lb cat climbing all over me.

Feeling a bit better this morning. It's hard not being able to walk my dog. She keeps looking at me, wondering when we're going. Hubby's going to walk her this morning.

FCBayern

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Honduras Honduras
That week without NSAIDs was a killer for me. I had thought that they weren't doing much for me until I stopped them and then :groan:, thankfully Monday is almost here.

OP
OP
Susie-Q

Susie-Q

post-grad
Country
Yep, @FCBayern , I'm realizing the same thing. I also realize that I went through an entire 500 tablet bottle of Ibuprofen (with hubby's help) in the past 2-3 months. I was taking 3 at a time.

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Yep, @FCBayern , I'm realizing the same thing. I also realize that I went through an entire 500 tablet bottle of Ibuprofen (with hubby's help) in the past 2-3 months. I was taking 3 at a time.
That sounds like an awful lot at one time. You definitely want to be careful with your doses.

Best wishes for your surgery-not long now!

Irongirl56

Country
I had my PKR done in an outpatient setting and loved it. But I had already had 2 surgery’s on that knee in the same setting so the OS knew my ability to recover. I was put under general but was awake and home by 630 PM, survery was about 1230. I didnt start PT until week 3 (my choice).
Prior to my surgery, every thing hurt like you are, which confirms the need for surgery! But if you have been taking NSAIDs up until now to alleviate the pain then yes you will feel pain now for sure.
For the ice machine highly recommend using frozen water bottles (they last longer) as well as ice to get the water a bit colder. the water bottles will keep the ice frozen longer. You want the water cold enough to penetrate dressing.

OP
OP
Susie-Q

Susie-Q

post-grad
Country
Yes, @Irongirl56 , someone else told me about the 4 frozen water bottles and they will usually last almost all night. I don't have any wrap on my incision, only the waterproof antibiotic dressing and my pj pants. This how my dr does it. I was surprised when they didn't put the wrap back on after checking things in the hospital.

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rosamund Doudna
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom