MUA Susie2023's TKR Recovery

Yes, how did your appt go?
I'm thinking of trying Hello Fresh. Takeout food is ok occasionally, but meal planning, prepping, cooking....I'm so over it LOL.

And try to worry over having breakdowns. We all do it.

My daughter and I took advantage of a special and we both did Hello Fresh. She needed it because my grandson was on the traveling baseball team. I did it 2x a week and enjoyed the different meals. It is some work preparing the meal, but you get everything you need. Everything was good except for seafood. When the special ended the shipping was too much! Her friend does Blue Apron. Might try it for fun!

Hello all!
At my appointment we decided an MUA was best for my situation. Though mentally I wrestled with the idea, was not going to make a decision until later. But decided to move forward with olit. To say I was anxious was an understatement. I cried, worried, cried some more, and worried a lot. I was fearful of having this done. I didn't think I could endure anymore pain, mentally and physically. But I was continuing going backwards, flexion was 70 and decreasing, pain was intensifying. My MUA was 3/21 and I have to report it was the right decision for me. My pain was so uncomfortable going in they offered pain medication but I said no. Now, all the pain I was experiencing is gone. My OS is very good with pain management so I've been comfortable. And, my new knee actually looks like a knee now! I started PT the day after and the sessions have been better than I anticipated. My OS reported getting to almost 100° passively for flexion, then once pressure was applied, there was audible release of arthrofibrosis and he got 120+, almost 130 ~130 is where I was pre surgery. All the medical staff were stellar and took very good care of me, even listening when I told them about my fears.

I have been so relieved, happy, crying happy tears, that I can now bend my knee and do my exercises. My extension was zero but soreness and swelling makes it -6 right now. I know zero will be around the corner.

I am continuing icing and elevating. I sleep with a Lounge Doctor and ice during the night if it needs it. I do my home exercises and ADL's. Oh! I finally got backward rotations on my bike and on the one at pt. Forward comes soon!

The road for this surgery hasn't been an easy one. I am 12 weeks out from the original surgery, 3 days from mua. My mental state is improving with the encouraging results!

My physical therapy has been going well, gentle, no pushing. It is an amazing feeling being able to bend my knee without the pain I experienced before. I was measured at 106° flexion yesterday, -2 on extension. I know the swelling behind my knee is preventing me from reaching zero but I'm not worried. I do my exercises and ice. My thigh muscles are telling me now that I did something lol. I'm going to schedule a lymphatic drainage appointment soon. I feel like my life was given back to me. I know I still have a long road to go though.

A question, please. Even before mua, though I was able to straighten my leg, I had to do it slowly, stretch the area behind the knee, and give it a minute before walking on it. Does this ever go away? Is it inflammation behind the knee? Thank you!

I found the more active I've become affects the back of the knee. I ice it along with the front.
Since your MUA you're probably using muscles that haven't been used as much before. Ice helps me.

Even before mua, though I was able to straighten my leg, I had to do it slowly, stretch the area behind the knee, and give it a minute before walking on it. Does this ever go away?
Yes, it does. Remember you are still in healing mode. As with everything else, it just needs time.

Lots of zingers and nerve pain last night. I expected swelling so I've been icing and elevating as much as possible. I cut back on exercises yesterday to give knee a break. I figure since not being able to bend my knee and now I can, and all the movements during manipulation have strained some muscles, tissue, tendons, etc., and woken up some nerves that were cut! Let it heal, let it heal! Taking it easy, gently. Making sure I get bends to keep it pliable. Still wants to stiffen but not like a stuck clunk of metal like before.

Happy Sunday! Beautiful day in SE VA!

Lots of zingers and nerve pain last night.
all the movements during manipulation have strained some muscles, tissue, tendons, etc., and woken up some nerves that were cut!
This is so true. That's why we say that your recovery now starts from the day of your MUA, not your TKR. Even though a MUA isn't not cutting your knee open, it is traumatizing and angering all those healing soft tissues inside the knee. Gentle movements are a must to keep that inflammation, swelling, and pain low.
Making sure I get bends to keep it pliable. Still wants to stiffen but not like a stuck clunk of metal like before.
Again, gently bend the knee. Don't go to pain, just discomfort. You don't want to anger your knee any more than it already is! :flwrysmile:

Yesterday was a first for me! I put bird seed out yesterday and decided to try walking down the deck steps using each leg, something I wasn't able to do before MUA. I did it, there are 6 steps! Little wins!

Hello, I'd like to add MUA to my title. Would someone help me do that, please? Thank you!

Using a light compression sleeve, 20-30 mmHg, on my leg first time since tkr. As soon as I put it on my foot, felt so good. Hopefully will keep swelling and zingers at bay. Will report back.

Good results using the compression stocking yesterday. When I took it off before bed last night, I expected it to blow up but it didn't. I iced and elevated. Though I took a pain med for the nerve pain, I could still feel it through the stocking but not as bad. This morning, my swelling is still down. Usually as soon as my foot hits the ground my knee starts swelling. With the swelling down the nerve pain is limited too. Going to use it again today!

It sounds like you are finding what is working for you! Yay!

I bought one of those goniometers. What is the best way to measure yourself when you don't have help?

Actually, the numbers don't matter at all, it's all about the function of your knee. I have to admit that I bought one myself just out of curiosity. If you go to Google it can show you how to line up the meter. I found that even at the same time I could get different numbers. Different PTs can also get different numbers, that's why we say that function is a better way to measure your knee's ability.

Different PTs can also get different numbers, that's why we say that function is a better way to measure your knee's ability.
So true! And if they get new goniometers! My pt got a new one lol. She hasn't used it on me yet. In fact, I wasn't measured the last session.

The function of my knee has improved so much as far as what I can do now compared to before. Though I get backwards and forwards on my bike, it doesn't come automatically. I find I need to stretch my quads with exercises and the ball, sometimes using the roller and massager, relaxing quad and hip flexor. One day it will be smooth. I'm just glad I can get it forward!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back