TKR Susie-Q's 2nd TKR Recovery Thread

I am Hoping I can handle a 1600 mile car ride at the end of October!
That's a really long ride. I assume you're not the driver, so I hope the driver will understand that you may need fairly frequent stops to stretch. Maybe be ready with meds and ice packs for during/after the drive. I've only had to get into and out of a car a few times but it requires my full focus right now (we're 1 day apart).

On the other hand, it sounds like an exciting trip. I hope you enjoy the ride.

I go for my 6 week checkup and X-ray today. I’m one day behind you. Hope all is well with mine today too. Finally walking on my own. Thought it wasn’t going to ever happen this time

Proud member of the Over-Did-It-Club!! :cheers: :nah: Yesterday I unloaded the dishwasher, reloaded it, folded two loads of laundry, walked upstairs (using both legs), did 6 minutes on the bike (still not going all the way around but close a couple of times so I went ouch), walked around the block and later then drove up to the field with the dog and stood/walked around the field for 30-40 minutes, going after dog poop, frisbee and balls. Last night while preparing my small dinner (we had leftovers), I had a twisted feeling at the top of my tibia and I knew I had overdone it. Iced all evening. Knee stiff and sore this morning, quads sore, even my left lower back is sore. 5,648 steps! Geez, no wonder! I didn't plan to do that much, it just happened. I have PT today and I see the surgeon tomorrow. Not good timing but oh well. Such is life! Today will be spent on the couch icing and resting.

Wow! I cannot begin to walk that far yet. Have been cooking dinner every night and doing light household chores. That is a lot for one day for you! Hope you can take it easy today!

Thanks, all! There are times I feel like my recovery thread is SO WORDY and why would anyone take the time to read it all??? I hope it helps someone. It is good to have successful stories on here and not just those with problems. This website is such a great resource!
Are you kidding!? I look forward to your "wordy" posts! You are chronicling for all of us, it helps no matter what stage we're in. I've watched your ups and downs and they are so reassuring. Keep on keeping us up!

:thankyou:

Doing better today, thanks @hawk2go . I had definitely swelled up a bit as my PT couldn't get me to 105 yesterday but that's ok. I can tell it's better today. I rested up and pretty much spent my time on the couch yesterday afternoon/evening and iced. I'm working my way through Westworld again and trying to save those episodes of Ted Lasso so it lasts awhile. That show is so good! For any of you Aussies out there, Rake on Netflix is so funny!! I see the surgeon today which will involve an hour drive down to Seattle and an hour back. Appointment is at 4pm so traffic will not be fun. I'm bargaining with myself on how much to do today. I think I will do my recumbent bike and exercises but won't do the walk around the block until tomorrow. I've got a bunch of stuff to do around the house and that will give me plenty of time on my feet. Things are getting very cluttered around here and need to be put away.

Still having a little bit of that twisty-feeling pain in my left calf if I'm on my feet too much so not out of the woods yet from overdoing it on Tuesday. Good news is they had a cancellation at my OS's office and my appointment moved up to 1:00 instead of 4:00. :happydance:

So glad to see that you are feeling better @Susie-Q. You are doing a lot so don't go too crazy now you are feeling stronger. I agree that losing that bone on bone pain is the best and so pleased that you can see and feel the difference already.

They don't notice the dishes anymore either......... :umm:

Still having some twisty sensations in my calf even while elevating on the couch. I cut way back on activity today but did have to drive to Seattle for my appointment. My surgeon basically cut me loose and said I didn't need to see him until next Aug, one year later. If I have any issues I can always call him and come in. He's confident I will keep improving and was happy I was where I was at. He reminded me that this is a year long recovery so that was good. I actually had a tiny stitch sticking out of my incision. It had been a scab this morning that was almost falling off but when I got to the office the scab was gone and I could see a little string sticking out. The doc tried pulling it out but ended up cutting it for me and putting on a bandaid. I think I have another one at the bottom of my incision, both places I had the last lingering scabs on my incision.

Last edited:
@Susie-Q I am so glad your OS gave you the all clear. That is great news. Also glad he stressed the year long recovery. In my experience things keep improving for at least 2 to 3 years - the changes slow way down, but they are there. Keep taking it slow and steady.

My surgeon basically cut me loose and said I didn't need to see him until next Aug, one year later.
Fantastic news @Susie-Q! Do you agree that you are done with him for a year?

Yes, I really don't need to see him anymore unless there is a problem. He's done his job, the rest is up to me and time. I will continue to go to PT until early Dec, when my insurance would want a re-evaluation anyway. My PT said twice a week until mid-Nov and then once a week after that. I like how you put it, @hawk2go , that I am 6/52 weeks into recovery. Still lots of stiffness and I'm waking up around 6:15 every day trying to get comfortable again. I'm barely taking my Tylenol/Advil though so I need to regularly add that back in. Back to setting alarms on my phone to remind me.

Wondering if any of you have had this issue..... I think the weeks and weeks of around the clock Advil are beginning to irritate my esophagus. I am starting to have heartburn a LOT where I haven't had it for awhile. I'm not eating after 7pm but still have it when I lay down and go to sleep. This happened to me years ago when I was taking a lot of Advil/Ibuprofen for plantar fasciitis and eventually my right knee. My doc prescribed me Celebrex and Prilosec and the heartburn went away. I think it might be time to cutback on the Advil and/or talk to my doc about a different anti-inflammatory..... I'm worried about liver damage from all the Tylenol too but I have cut back on a lot of that, I just don't need it. (Ignore what I said above). Yes, I make sure to eat food whenever I take both Tylenol or Advil......

Yes, I experienced this (and have a past history of GERD, but no problems in the last 7 yrs or so). My doc prescribed 1x Prevacid daily when I left the hospital(assume it was prescription strength but can check). I noticed the burn about 3-4 days after that ran out, and got an otc acid reducer. My PA confirmed that was the right move as long as I'm taking meloxicam and prophylactic aspirin.

I really wish our bodies would have a meter that tells you, "you've gone far enough or you've gone too far". It's always a delayed response overnight or the next day for me. Over-did it this weekend but at the time, all was fine. Hubby wanted to get the rest of the patio cushions and decor put away for the fall/winter and he told me all I had to do was sit in a chair and dictate. Well, of course do you think I could do that? :umm: No! I had to help by getting on a step stool to remove some hanging candle lanterns, sweep this, vacuum the outdoor rug, take a few trips to the garage, etc. Then yesterday it was put all that stuff away in the garage closets and since I have the packing skills in the family, I hopped up on a step stool and did that too. Didn't lift anything heavy and took breaks in a chair but still. I just can't sit by and do nothing. Got an invitation to take the dog to the field late yesterday too (I'm still driving up there and bringing a chair that barely gets sat in) and I vacuumed because we are drowning in white dog hair. I did make a good decision not to also stand in the kitchen and make pot roast and opted to heat up meatloaf and mashed potatoes from Costco for dinner. So a tiny spark of smarts in a weekend full of dumb. :oyvey:I didn't work the entire day, there was a lot of football watching and icing on the couch going on too. I also did 6 minutes on my bike (back and forth) each day and some exercises but not all.

Hubby helped me change the sheets and duvet cover yesterday which led to adding air to our Sleep Number bed, which was a bit saggy. That added to the soreness I have this morning, a firmer bed when I'm not used to it. Good news is, I feel like I am regaining some stamina. I don't feel as wiped out as I would have a week or two ago. I'm trying to stop before I over-do it but like I said above, all is fine while I'm doing the task, it's always after that I feel the error of my ways. I'm sure this is how it is with everyone...... two steps forward, one step back! Today is PT, my daughter took the dog to work with her again so I won't have that task on my plate, bless her.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back