TKR Susaq02's Recovery Thread.

Susaq02

Country
United States United States
Hello! I had a right TKR on May 12. I find recovery to be slower than I’d expected. I do have a question : I have a popping or snapping sensation at the top of my knee, more toward the outside. It happens every time I flex and extend although apparently not when I walk. You can put your hand over it and feel it. Anyone else experience this? Hoping it goes away.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @Susaq02 - and :welome:

I've copied your post from the May Marvels thread and started a recovery post for you here, so we can advise you without disrupting the other thread.
The team threads are primarily to allow you to see who has had surgery the same month as you. Discussion of issues, comments, and questions regarding recovery must be kept in your individual recovery threads, so please continue to post about your recovery in this thread from now on.

Lots of people find that recovery is taking longer than they expected, but I'm afraid that's what happens. Complete recovery takes a long as a full year, sometimes even longer. Of course you'll be able to do most things long before the year is up, but your knee will still be healing under the surface.

Don't worry about the popping/clicking of your knee. That's also normal and it should decrease as your knee continues to recover. This article talks about it:

Clicking/clunking knee joint after surgery

Here are the recovery guidelines we give to everyone with a new knee - lots of helpful articles:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

OP
OP
S

Susaq02

Country
It’s not a popping in the joint. It’s above the knee- like a tendon going over something? PT says hopefully it will go away has my muscle gets stronger. My doctor said it was weird. He did not see anything on x-ray that would cause it. Just wondering if anyone else experienced this.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Right now soft tissues and muscles have not yet firmed up around your new knee. Just give this time. And no need for excessive PT. The slow and steady approach works every time.

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I had a similar feeling at the back of my knee. It gradually went away as things healed, just as Jaycey says.

Sara61

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
I'm 8 months post op, initially this was a huge issue for me I even thought my surgeon had done a faulty job, but I was informed by the forum staff and others that this was normal in most knee surgeries and it would eventually disappear with time, to be honest now I hardly notice it, but just like you if I put on my hand on my knee and away my knee from side to side I can feel it, but day to day it appears to be getting less noticeable so I'm proof with time it does get better:yes!:

OP
OP
S

Susaq02

Country
Great! I was worrying there was something wrong. Thank you so much for the responses.

OP
OP
S

Susaq02

Country
Having problems with my IT band. Pain is mostly over the bone at the outside of my knee. I‘ve been doing stretches to try to alleviate it. If anyone else had this problem, how long does this take to go away? I do go to PT. She has me doing stretches, she massaged the thigh area, and told me to take it easy. Seems like recovery is one problem after another!

OP
OP
S

Susaq02

Country
Exercises that stretched my IT band seem to have really helped. Things are finally looking up. Now if I could just go up & down stairs the right way! My left knee is feeling the pain. That knee needs a TKR, but am not ready for that. Maybe this is like childbirth? You wait a while and forget the pain involved. I am in awe of those having both knees done at the same time!

WhenImOld

Country
Exercises that stretched my IT band seem to have really helped. Things are finally looking up. Now if I could just go up & down stairs the right way! My left knee is feeling the pain. That knee needs a TKR, but am not ready for that. Maybe this is like childbirth? You wait a while and forget the pain involved. I am in awe of those having both knees done at the same time!
Boy I sure hope so!! I need my left done as well, and it, along with my right hip, are definitely voicing their displeasure

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
dgojill
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Top Bottom